Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk qualified sparks working in Ireland

Options
  • 02-08-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all

We are planning to move back to Ireland in the next year or so & I'm looking into work as an electrician there. I've lived in London nearly 20 yrs & did my qualifications via night classes over here. I have C&G 2392-10 & bs7671 17th edition & am currently registered with the JIB as an electrician (gold card). I have worked in the mainly industrial/commercial & retail sector with some domestic( private jobs).
    I'm looking into what I would need to register as a sparks in Ireland & how to get a Safe Pass.
    Also what would be the going rate for an site electrician per/hr?
    also what is the work situation like at the mo?
    We are moving to the Galway area.

Any info would be great!!!!
    Ivan

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi irishivan.

Rates of pay vary significantly. However as per the Forum Charter they can not be discussed.

Obviously becoming familiar with theNational Rules for Electrical Installations, ET101:2008 would be to your advantage.

I am not sure how your particular qualifications compare to ours. Did you serve a four year apprenticeship? If not I do not think that you would be recognised as an electrician in Ireland. However this does not mean that you would not find some sort of electrical work. Perhaps someone else can advise.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Regarding Safe Pass this is my view on it:

It is a one day course during which you will listen to someone drone on and bore you to tears. Most if not all of what you will hear during this course will be completely irrelevant but it will ensure that should you have an accident that you will be held responsible by virtue of the fact that you hold your Safe Pass qualification. Unfortunately this is a qualification that you must have for the line of work you are perusing that only lasts for 5 years after which you are no longer "safe". A great little scam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishivan

Cheers for the replies

Apologies for the rates question (didn't know)
    I did what's called an adult trainee scheme as I went back to college in my mid 20s so not an apprenticeship as such.
    I've over 11yrs experience in the game & have run jobs/lads etc.
    i guess what I'm after is a person/dept who would be able to look at my qualifications & give me an answer or tell me what bits I may need.

irishivan wrote: »
    I did what's called an adult trainee scheme as I went back to college in my mid 20s so not an apprenticeship as such.

Unless this is a recognised 4 year apprenticeship scheme I doubt it will qualify.
    A qualified electrician holds a FETAC level 6 qualification.
    More information available here.

This part may be of interest to you (above link):
    I’ve worked in a trade for a number of years but wasn’t a registered apprentice, can this time be considered as part of my apprenticeship?
    SOLAS will consider applications for exemptions from the Standards-Based Apprenticeship programme for trade-related experience. However applicants must be registered as an apprentice before an application can be considered.
    I've over 11yrs experience in the game & have run jobs/lads etc.

I am sure that this will stand to you, but I am sure that you will appreciate that those that spent 4 years as an apprentice would object.
    i guess what I'm after is a person/dept who would be able to look at my qualifications & give me an answer or tell me what bits I may need.

I know an experienced engineer (with FETAC level 8) that tried to be recognised as a qualified electrician and did not succeed.
    There are no "honorary" electrician qualifications handed out AFAIK.

As above, this does not mean necessarily that you would be excluded from all electrical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'm not sure what type of Traineeship has been done, but assuming that it is an actual Adult Traineeship then it is similar to an Apprenticeship. Generally speaking a JIB Gold Card will not be issued without proper training, generally through an Apprenticeship (which an Adult Traineeship is equivalent to).

Obviously BS 7671:2008 (2015) and ET 101:2008 (2011) are not identical Standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Instant sparks eh.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

First thing you will need letters from your UK employers stating you workef for them in the electrical field for over four years.

Then with that and your UK union card head to the union here.

There are no fillers you can do here to bring you to the standard. If they exist in the UK then I suggest doing them there, online , remotely etc.

You best best would be that you are at it long enough and can prove it and you are old enough to qualify as a time served electrician here. But to be honest if you can close the gap officially in the UK then I'd do it .

Advertisement