Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 spying on customers.

Options
  • 02-08-2015 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft's Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it's unclear how many of their users read the company's Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages' worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.
    From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers' basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.
    Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, "your typed and handwritten words are collected," the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information "to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write."

http://europe.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-331073

This is a bit too much surely. I for one won't be leaving windows 7 any time soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

FortySeven wrote: »
    http://europe.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-331073

This is a bit too much surely. I for one won't be leaving windows 7 any time soon.

Microsoft is only watching their customers to see how they can improve for Windows in the future and fair enough you can stick with win 7 but I do recommend win 10 for gaming software development and entertainment because of direct x12 however you can edit how much cortana knows about you in the settings tab and you also don't have to sign into your Microsoft account and you can use win 10 just like win 7 as a standard user trust me I've had a long 10 years with win xp and 7 but I feel win 10 is what we deserve and need in this day and age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

They already spy on people with Windows 8.

Guys spy is too strong a word they are not spying on people they are gathering important information

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Google would be doing much the same in chrome browser and with android

Apple are probably a little more respectful of your privacy

China banned windows 8 on government computers because of the risk of spying

Google would be doing much the same in chrome browser and with android

Apple are probably a little more respectful of your privacy

China banned windows 8 on government computers because of the risk of spying

Well China is run by communism which has much to do with it because Microsoft is a us corporation with a lot of information and also China hasrecently launched hacks on Windows based machines in the us and stole a load of very highly classified info from the cia besides America and it's spy attempts or gathering of information is usually only for the greater good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

hunter701 wrote: »
    Well China is run by communism which has much to do with it because Microsoft is a us corporation with a lot of information and also China hasrecently launched hacks on Windows based machines in the us and stole a load of very highly classified info from the via besides America and it's spy attempts or gathering of information is usually only for the greater good
    :D:D:D:D:D

Not to go off track but Windows 10 is pretty safe as far as I can see I've been using it since the 29th as an under the sheets kinda user ya know what I mean and it's fine I have all ways of Microsoft getting too much info disabled as I am just like the original poster of this thread I just use the OS like the previous win 7 as a standard user

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

:D:D:D:D:D

:pac::pac::pac:

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

t was only after making this video that I came up with another theory: It does make the suspicious encrypted connection upon launching calculator. Why does MS care how often I run calculator? No idea, but I think it might be something to do with both the image preview and calculator being new 'metro' interface, store apps.

It might be that MS simply wishes to be immediately informed every time you run any application. That's not much of an improvement on my earlier 'spy on your images' theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

To be honest, I think these threads popping up everywhere are pretty funny, considering people are quite happy to share their whole lives on Facebook and Twitter. Not saying you do this, OP, but the amount of data that Microsoft will be gathering is miniscule compared to some of the things people share on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still use gmail and post my thoughts fairly transparently on social media, including boards. Most of my photos funnel through my phone, which is copied to iCloud, and since Window 7 and out of convenience I have linked my files to OneDrive for years. There isn't much more they can learn about me, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Been using Microsoft 10 and the spying or potential spying is not what bothers me. The layout is not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

FortySeven wrote: »
    [...This is a bit too much surely. I for one won't be leaving windows 7 any time soon.

This is very old news. Also very old news, is that they actually rolled much of this into Windows 7 & 8 via updates during the summer. Staying with 7 or 8 won't avoid it. But there are ways to turn it all off in 7, 8 and 10.

Advertisement