Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Corner-Back tips?

• 03-08-2015 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I'm 17 and playing Minor football for my club in Limerick. I was playing in the full-forward line for most of the year until the other day when we had a challenge match in which I was placed in the Corner-Back position. I played well and my manager said it was the best I'd played all year.

We're going into a Semi-Final in the next few weeks and I'm assuming that's where I'll be placed so does anyone have any tips? I know that you've to stay right beside your man the whole time but what else should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Keep a hand on his back or shoulder, get inside his head.

Stay goal side

Stay alert

Don't kick across the goals

The easiest way to defend is stop your man from getting the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Climb inside your man's pocket and stay there for the game.

Keep it simple when you're on the ball too, no fecking around in front of your own goals.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

If your a Corner-Back you'll be up against a Corner-Forward and from my experience at underage level he'll be small, quick and skillful.

Don't give him an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's a good chance he'll be crap, thrown in there for numbers OP so it mightn't be worth worrying over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭basillarkin

play from the front, you will have to be a good reader of the game for this and been quick will also help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Keep his back to the goal and make sure your half backs are picking up the runners.

Stand on his toes and be first to the ball, but watch for the fouls, don't get into the habit of putting the boot in the the ball is on the deck, happens more than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

For 45s and your own kick-outs face the ball and stay touch tight. As the ball clears your head spin around to face it. You'll be amazed how few people do it but it will put you in pole position if the ball hits the frame of the goals.

Don't start slapping aimlessly when your opponent has possession. Firstly use your arms and body to steer him away from the goals and/or towards the sideline. Keep a count in your head of how long he's been holding the ball - when the count reaches four he's going to have to play the ball in some way. The ball will be momentarily loose and that's the time to make your tackle. Using your near hand try to slap the ball away. Don't leave your hand hanging in there - referees love giving frees for that.

When the opposing team have the ball out the field try to stay between your man and the player in possession. When he lifts his head all he'll see is you and hopefully he won't attempt the pass at all. The closer to your goals they bring the ball the closer to your opponent you need to be.

If your opponent is bending down for the ball stay tight but don't be tempted to make a challenge. Any bit of a touch and he'll be on his ear having earned a nice handy free. Conversely if the ball is there get down on it asap. You'll get your free handy enough as well.

In the opening minutes there's no harm going for a short kick-out or making an overlap with your half-back or midfielder. It will keep your opponent honest and I'm sure you know how much forwards hate chasing other people around!

It's easy to switch off for a second or two so encourage the other defenders to keep talking to you. Naturally you can do the same for them.

Finally don't lose heart or get rattled no matter what. Keep plugging away. Your manager clearly has faith in you so you should too!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

If your opponent is bending down for the ball stay tight but don't be tempted to make a challenge. Any bit of a touch and he'll be on his ear having earned a nice handy free. Conversely if the ball is there get down on it asap. You'll get your free handy enough as well.

These are the truest words ever spoke. Yet still county defenders don't do it.

Before the game starts if possible identify your opponent and see if he uses only one foot in the kick around. If he does, force him onto the other foot.

Never play your man from behind. Corner forwards especially love a kick bounce pass into the chest. Anticipate the kick pass and get in front.

Lastly, when the play is on the far side of the pitch, the chances are the full back might get drawn away from his position, make sure that you are nearer the space he left than your opponent.

Good luck, remember, it's possible to play well at corner back and not even touch the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭threeball

Good advice from Incubu.

Like you I played my early years in the forwards before transitioning to half back and playing my best football. It suited me because it was a defined role, you ran to counteract rather than create so if you're cute about it you can make your man do a lot of running while you cover him with very little.

The further the ball is away the looser and further in front you can play him. As the distance closes you'll need to get tighter and towards his goalside shoulder. Invite the pass towards the corner. If you don't cut it off shadow and use your chest to control his route. Most lads will panic after the first hop and you'll get a chance to have a slap at the ball. As was said do not flail wildly or use two hands. One good firm slap and he'll panic and the troops are arriving all the time. Its amazing the amount of inter county players that cannot get a basic tackle right.

Controlled aggression is the key to good back play. Be prepared to burst someone to gather a ball bouncing or falling in a 50/50 situation. If your aggressive you generally won't get a scratch but reign in the aggression in the tackle and you'll do ok. Its a learning process and some players you'll put in your pocket and others will give you hard lessons. Even the top players can't control everyone and someone will always have your number and vice versa. You might just be surprised by who they are.

Advertisement