Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with postal money order

Options
  • 03-08-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

uestion about postal order?
    Hello. I recently sent 500 euros to someone through the postal order service in irela d and they never sent the phone. So I went to the address I sent it to and someone used that address and simply went to that house and said someone sent it there by mistake and took it and cashed with I.d. Is there any point of contacting the police? Can they help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

uestion about postal order?
    Hello. I recently sent 500 euros to someone through the postal order service in irela d and they never sent the phone. So I went to the address I sent it to and someone used that address and simply went to that house and said someone sent it there by mistake and took it and cashed with I.d. Is there any point of contacting the police? Can they help.

Theoretically yes they've broken the law, in reality, it's doubtful they'd find them? Really sorry that happened to you mate, although you should never send money orders to people you don't know. Was PayPal not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 xseankellyx

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Theoretically yes they've broken the law, in reality, it's doubtful they'd find them? Really sorry that happened to you mate, although you should never send money orders to people you don't know. Was PayPal not an option?

It was quite stupid of me and no I just sent postal order. So the house has a description of the teenager. And in the post office he must have used I.d to cash it. Still no hope though? Thanks for quick reply

sugarman wrote: »
    Its really your word against theirs unfortunately.

I dont think the police will be able to assist you, but no harm in trying.

Even though they might have copy of I.d at post office? I believe you have to sign for it and give them I.d when cashing.

sugarman wrote: »
    Postal order has absolutely no come back. Its buyer beware.

You made it out to the person who cashed it.

As far as they're concerned there's no crime, they didnt break any law.

Whats to say you didnt get the item? or it was lost in the post?

Thanks so much for reply. Everyone I would like to hear all opinions and I'd love to hear from a guard. And sugarman is there nothing I can say about them using someone else's address? He can say it was an accident but he texted me that address to send it to. Do you think they would find the person even if they can't do anything about it? Like could they physically find out who it is and contact him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think there might be a point in talking to the guards. There wasn't a fraudulent conversion of a postal order, but there is a strong appearance of fraud in the transaction: the postal order was sent in the expectation of a phone being sent, and it looks as if there was no intention to send the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Agree with P Breathneach id go to the guards, the Post office have to key in a reference number that corresponds with the name on the PMO. it would have to be an RSI number or a ref off a Drivers licence or passport. I cant remember if a copy of the ID is taken.

It would be an easy enough process to get the identity of the person who cashed the PMO

Shelflife wrote: »
    Agree with P Breathneach id go to the guards, the Post office have to key in a reference number that corresponds with the name on the PMO. it would have to be an RSI number or a ref off a Drivers licence or passport. I cant remember if a copy of the ID is taken.

It would be an easy enough process to get the identity of the person who cashed the PMO

and then what would happen?

Well it would be up to the guards to take it from there.

Well it would be up to the guards to take it from there.

Thanks for reply but I've since talked to the seller and he apparently sent the item and has spoken to anpost and apparently it is lost. He can't prove that though as it was not sent registered. With that information do you still think there's a point in talking to guards ad even if they know who did it it is my word against his as he argues I might have it and be lying

He has been paid, you have not received the item.

He got the PMO sent to an address that wasn't his. He sent an item worth €500 in the post and didn't register it.

Lots of things don't add up for me, end of the day you don't have your product. I would tell the seller to refund you the money or else you will get the guards involved.

• Advertisement

He has been paid, you have not received the item.

He got the PMO sent to an address that wasn't his. He sent an item worth €500 in the post and didn't register it.

Lots of things don't add up for me, end of the day you don't have your product. I would tell the seller to refund you the money or else you will get the guards involved.

I have said that but most people said they won't be able to help as realistically it is his word against mine. So I'm going to leave it and take it as a life lesson

Sometimes the threat of Garda involvement is enough to focus people's minds, sometimes the visit of gardai to the door will force their hand .

If you can afford to lose €500 then walk away, me ? I wouldn't let them away with it that easy .

Sometimes the threat of Garda involvement is enough to focus people's minds, sometimes the visit of gardai to the door will force their hand .

If you can afford to lose €500 then walk away, me ? I wouldn't let them away with it that easy .

I have threatened to involve the guards but he won't budge and they won't be able to go to his door as they don't know his address am I right. I can afford to but obviously just would be niggling away at me at times.

I have threatened to involve the guards but he won't budge and they won't be able to go to his door as they don't know his address am I right. I can afford to but obviously just would be niggling away at me at times.

If they get the id reference number from an post coupled with the name and the address that he originally gave you (they are bound to know him) then I'm sure they could track him down .

It's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If they get the id reference number from an post coupled with the name and the address that he originally gave you (they are bound to know him) then I'm sure they could track him down .

It's up to you.

In the end of the day there is no proof of any fraud being committed, the seller just has to say he did send it and then it is his word against the op's which means stalemate.

Nothing will happen the seller, unless there is a pattern of this behavior from them.

Also, I doubt an post will be able to give any information without a court order.

In the end of the day there is no proof of any fraud being committed, the seller just has to say he did send it and then it is his word against the op's which means stalemate.

Nothing will happen the seller, unless there is a pattern of this behavior from them.

Also, I doubt an post will be able to give any information without a court order.

And unless it's reported there will never be a pattern of behaviour!
    It may well be hard to prove but the actions so far scream fraud.
    Unless someone makes a stand this fraudster will continue to rip off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It costs nothing to report him, surely it's worth an hour out of your day to make a statement and see what comes of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Report it to the Gardai, give them the Postal Order number, receipts, etc, and get then get a reference/investigation number from the Gardai for the report. More than likely, they'll never do anything as this will be classed at the low end of crime, and resources may never be assigned to it. However, you will definitely get nothing if you don't at least report it.

As a past victim of cheque fraud, that was being investigated by Gardai in Limerick and Dublin, I can pretty much guarantee you'll never get your money back, but it does give you a sense of some closure to report it.

Report it to the Gardai, give them the Postal Order number, receipts, etc, and get then get a reference/investigation number from the Gardai for the report. More than likely, they'll never do anything as this will be classed at the low end of crime, and resources may never be assigned to it. However, you will definitely get nothing if you don't at least report it.

As a past victim of cheque fraud, that was being investigated by Gardai in Limerick and Dublin, I can pretty much guarantee you'll never get your money back, but it does give you a sense of some closure to report it.

I reported it 4 days ago and they told me its a cheque made out to him and theres nothing they can do, they didnt even take his name.

Advertisement