Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toxic Friendship

• 03-08-2015 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

So ive finally come to the realisation that my childhood friend is just not for me. They believe in things that i totally disagree with and are constantly bringing me down.

The reason i stayed with them is because i dont have many friends. (like ver very few) but i prefer to have none, than crap friends, im self confident, im just not very good at developing my social circle.
    The problem is, we are meant to go on holidays together, and its already planned. I want to cancel the whole thing but our flights are booked and i need to go to the country in question anyways, because after the trip i have business to attend to there.

So should i wait until the holiday is over and never speak to them again? or somehow break it off now?

I dont enjoy their comapny anymore. But should i just suffer through afew days more in order to save changing flights and causing heartache which im sure they will make sure is as dramatic as possible??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

Can you afford to take the financial hit? Now that the penny has dropped with you, it's going to be a miserable holiday. The end result's going to be the same anyway - you and her aren't going to be friends soon. It's just a matter of bringing this forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I agree with you, I'd rather no friends than crap ones.
    If you have to go to this country anyway, would you consider changing your accommodation and going your own way when you get there?Is that an option even? If it is, I'd do so then tell this person so the option is there for them to make changes /cancel if necessary.
    Personally speaking, I'd rather holiday by myself than with someone I dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

Apart from disagreeing on some unspecified things, what else is wrong with the friendship? I have friends who hold totally different beliefs to me on lots of things, but I wouldn't sack them for that. Is your friend bringing you down? Or are you bringing yourself down by having an unrealistic vision of what friends should agree on? Are you thinking of ruining their holiday plans because you've got yourself wound up over something that could be laughed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hi,

I dont enjoy their comapny anymore.

If you don't enjoy her company, don't go on holiday with her.
    I certainly wouldn't want to go on holiday with - or be in the company of - someone who doesn't enjoy me.

Do what needs doing. Cut the cord or ignore her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Thanks for the Replies.

The problem is, im strapped for cash, Changing flights to avoid them and accomodation might be pricey. I will only be stuck with them for 3 days, so its not too long

I can bare them, but its just their attitude can be very tempermental and they are very pushy and will try put you down if things dont go their way or if you disagree with them.

When i mean difference of opinion, i mean they say alot of racist stuff and nasty things about people in general that just arent true. Most of the time they just say these things when theyre in a bad mood, but unfortunately their bad moods are common place.

So its not like i get into big fights with them, but theyre just miserable comapny 70% of the time. Ive gave them loads of chances over the years to change, but they havent grown up.

I feel, due to finanacial reasons i might stick it out for three days. But im afraid that when we are on holidays, they will keep pushing to do things that i just wont want to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement