Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding a compromise -chimney breast

Options
  • 03-08-2015 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are buying a new home, and plan to move in end of Aug. The house has 2 chimney breasts, 4 fires, one in the front room which we will be making into the kitchen space leading up to the master bedroom, and one in the back living space leading up to what will be our child's room. My partner really wants to keep them all, block them in and maybe one day in the future use them. However I would like to totally remove the chimney breast from the front of the house for a number of reasons 1. Blocking them in is wasting floor space 2. The fitted kitchen area will be 'interrupted' by the breast 3. If we keep the chimney in the small master bedroom we can only ever have our bed in the same space in the bedroom, this is my real issue, I like to be able to move the bedroom around, to freshen things up and to have a change every now and then, our current bedroom does not allow the bed to be moved and this really bugs me.
    So basically my partner reckons if it's financially 'ok' and not too much work and not a big deal with a builder we can remove...but I think either way we should remove because I think it makes sense to take back that space, we will never light a fire in the kitchen, and we will keep the back breast as this is in the living area for future use, although it does mean sacrificing some of our childrens bedroom space.
    Anyone had this issue? Had chimney breasts removed to make use of space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So no silicone implants here.:D
    I know its ur first post but can u go back, click on the edit button and start the points on new lines with a line return, its hard to read as well as follow:)
    Checking understanding here:
    So it seems u have at each end of the house two fireplaces going into two chimneys, with a fireplace downstairs and upstairs in each case, leading to you having 4 chimney pots, two at each end of the house.

The chimneys are built so as they are flush with the wall outside and encroach into the rooms.

So is it you plan to remove the entire chimney stack all the way up at one end of the house.
    If so it can be done but at a cost:
    How old is the house, will you get matching roof tiles if u remove the full stack?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Do not remove chimney breasts without consulting a structural engineer. Do not "just get a builder in".
    The risks are -
    1. you may destabilise the chimney stacks overhead
    2. you may destabilise the walls they are built into.

Advertisement