Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danielson tests positive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

el tel wrote: »
    But contaminated supplements have on occasion been found to be reason for persons failing tests though.

When have contaminated supplements been found, to have been the reason, for an athlete to test positive for synthetic testosterone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

its available live here

http://tourtracker.tourofutah.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Brian? wrote: »
    On what occasion?

Daryl Impey's Probencid test?

Impey claimed that the probencid was on an empty gelatine capsule, that he purchased from a pharmacist, who had earlier dispensed probencid to another customer.

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/South-Africa/Daryl-Impey-a-very-unusual-case-20140903

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Not looking good for Danielson or Garmin, will be close to impossible to explain this one away.

I think JV will be pushing Danielson hard to explain the positive and do a mea culpa exonerating the team. I would say until JV has had his meeting with him, we will be hearing little more until after the B sample.

Danielson has not exactly been setting the world on fire though his main targets are in the next few weeks, Utah/Colorado.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Danielson is shocked but aren't them all when this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Danielson has not exactly been setting the world on fire though his main targets are in the next few weeks, Utah/Colorado.
    Out of form cyclist panic's and dopes ahead of the most important part of his season?

As with all of these things, we've heard it all before. Off you go Tom, there was cycling before you and there'll be cycling after you.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Impey claimed that the probencid was on an empty gelatine capsule, that he purchased from a pharmacist, who had earlier dispensed probencid to another customer.

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/South-Africa/Daryl-Impey-a-very-unusual-case-20140903

So a contamination?

So a contamination?

Yes, so it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

excellent stuff here on Danielson

http://stevetilford.com/

especially the link quoted within the recent blog which makes some very credible points on his history - here's hoping the B sample stands up to scrutiny and we can wave goodbye to this clown

does anyone really believe cycling has changed? Combine this with Irish amateurs testing positive and it just goes to show you depths those down the food chain will go just to be able to hold a wheel in front of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

On what occasion?

Wasn't there an Irish female athlete a few years ago? I can name her, should I?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nothing to do with supplements and unbelievable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Nothing to do with supplements and unbelievable.

However, it was believed. He's still riding.

So a contamination?

But not of a supplement. Do you believe Danielson's nonsense? Honestly?

Synthetic T is very expensive to make. Most supplements are dirt cheap and either simply whey and sugar or whey, sugar and snake oil. The idea thy synthetic T could somehow make it into an over the counter supplement is laughable.

they/them/theirs

mod snip - you know the rules regarding doping speculation. No more warnings.

they/them/theirs

But not of a supplement. Do you believe Danielson's nonsense? Honestly?

Synthetic T is very expensive to make. Most supplements are dirt cheap and either simply whey and sugar or whey, sugar and snake oil. The idea thy synthetic T could somehow make it into an over the counter supplement is laughable.

No, I was just answering the question about contamination.

No, I was just answering the question about contamination.

I asked on what occasion was there contamination of a supplement. So you're not answering the question i asked.

It's been used as an excuse on many, many occasions and I honestly don't think it's ever been true.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Another one is caught.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/tom-danielson-reveals-positive-test-for-synthetic-testosterone/

This is his second time.

He is saying it must be something in the supplements. Surely at this point teams should be controlling all this and the responsibility should rest with them to check all food etc.

Absolutely Any team that calls itself professional should be well on top of this.
    Heres what I think should happen. If its supplements hes taking off his own bat, then he hasn't a leg to stand on anyway.
    But if team supplied, then a positive test should immediately mean all team members are tested. If they took supplements from the same batch, they should all test positive, if not then the is on his own and still fecked.
    No excuses for rider or team here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Iirc the isc say something like 15% of supplements when tested were found to contain prohibited items from the wada list and their advice os to not take supplements at all.

lennymc wrote: »
    Iirc the isc say something like 15% of supplements when tested were found to contain prohibited items from the wada list and their advice os to not take supplements at all.

That may well be, but I can't find any reference to supplements containing synthetic testosterone.

I was at a conference on doping about 12 years ago, promoted by the ISC. All Irish sporting organisations were represented. Dick Pound was one of the contributors. There were several other experts there as well. The question of supplements was brought up, by one of the G.A.A. delegation. The unanimous advice of all the experts was very simple: "Don't take supplements"

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »

The WADA banned list is massive. My recollection is that the majority of banned substances in supplements are in weightless supplements. Ephedrine etc. not synthetic T.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

MPFG wrote: »
    Where is the outcry on here given the treatment of SKY ?

Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 1h1 hour ago
    Danielson news is huge; let's hope team doesn't stop over one rider. JV suggested before it might

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/tom-danielson-reveals-positive-test-for-synthetic-testosterone/
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's only been an hour since the thread was started, on a bank holiday Monday morning. Everyone is out riding or entertaining the kids !

Well its now been all day & I am still to see the same level of condemnation that SKY received for goof performance in the Tour

And my point is not about SKY but about the several posters who condemned them but will be silent on this

And I also thought there was freedom of speech ? Both issues are about doping .One real doping the other a witch hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Well its now been all day & I am still to see the same level of condemnation that SKY received for goof performance in the Tour

And my point is not about SKY but about the several posters who condemned them but will be silent on this

And I also thought there was freedom of speech ? Both issues are about doping .One real doping the other a witch hunt

Jaysus mate you're getting as bad as the people you're ranting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

I've had enough of hearing about Team Sky in the past month to last me a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What exactly so you expect a poster to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Only getting back to this now, but however they got in there since he already had one ban then he was stupid to even risk taking something that hadn't been checked out.

As I mentioned in my OP, it is time that teams start to demand that only their, approved, supplements are taken. This probably has to come from approved via UCI, based on an agreed quality control standard placed on the supplement providers, sort of like the beef tracking system we have here. If you don't stick to it, then you don't get to sell it as UCI approved. Companies like High5, Powerbar etc would need to get it as otherwise they would lose out a major market.

If it then becomes contaminated, well the whole batch would be and fairly easy to check. If a rider goes outside the team to get supplements then its on their head.

Garmin has a lot to answer on this. JV is very outspoken (correctly) on others and now he needs to walk the walk. He needs to be totally transparent about how this happened, what controls the teams needed to put in place and admit that this theory of giving ex-dopers a second chance, while noble, is not doing the sport any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If on the offchance that TD's excuse is somehow plausible, he should still be fired by his team to idiocy.
    Not a year goes by when athletes are warned about supplements - there is simply no excuse.
    Supplements are simply another bullsh1te excuse of a product trotted out by the sports food industry. None of this stuff is in anyway necessary.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Only getting back to this now, but however they got in there since he already had one ban then he was stupid to even risk taking something that hadn't been checked out.

As I mentioned in my OP, it is time that teams start to demand that only their, approved, supplements are taken. This probably has to come from approved via UCI, based on an agreed quality control standard placed on the supplement providers, sort of like the beef tracking system we have here. If you don't stick to it, then you don't get to sell it as UCI approved. Companies like High5, Powerbar etc would need to get it as otherwise they would lose out a major market.

If it then becomes contaminated, well the whole batch would be and fairly easy to check. If a rider goes outside the team to get supplements then its on their head.

Garmin has a lot to answer on this. JV is very outspoken (correctly) on others and now he needs to walk the walk. He needs to be totally transparent about how this happened, what controls the teams needed to put in place and admit that this theory of giving ex-dopers a second chance, while noble, is not doing the sport any favours.

All that should be very easy, and written into contracts. If its not already the status quo, I really cant see a good reason why not, as it would be the epitome of 'professionalism' for me.

ROK ON wrote: »
    If on the offchance that TD's excuse is somehow plausible, he should still be fired by his team to idiocy.
    Not a year goes by when athletes are warned about supplements - there is simply no excuse.
    Supplements are simply another bullsh1te excuse of a product trotted out by the sports food industry. None of this stuff is in anyway necessary.

Yep, most of it is overpriced, marketing driven garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

On what occasion?

The only times that come close to this, that I can think of were for clenbutherol. Once was a race in South America where so many were popped that it was assumed it was because of contamunated meat. The other was Mick Rogers in China, who as far as I remember was cleared as it was in China and the UCI (I think) advised riders not to eat meat, but Rogers did anyway.

Wasn't Bertie also ultimately suspended for having it in is blood even though it most likely came from a contaminated supplements.

Advertisement