Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danielson tests positive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    If on the offchance that TD's excuse is somehow plausible, he should still be fired by his team to idiocy.
    Not a year goes by when athletes are warned about supplements - there is simply no excuse.
    Supplements are simply another bullsh1te excuse of a product trotted out by the sports food industry. None of this stuff is in anyway necessary.

this was my point - i wasnt saying TD's result was or was not due to contamination, but rather, the advice of the ISC is that supplements can be contaminated, and you dont really need them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

drogdub wrote: »
    The only times that come close to this, that I can think of were for clenbutherol. Once was a race in South America where so many were popped that it was assumed it was because of contamunated meat. The other was Mick Rogers in China, who as far as I remember was cleared as it was in China and the UCI (I think) advised riders not to eat meat, but Rogers did anyway.

Wasn't Bertie also ultimately suspended for having it in is blood even though it most likely came from a contaminated supplements.

So clenbuterol in meat and from an unknown source that lead to a 2 year ban?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

el tel wrote: »
    Until B sample is tested, is this not doping speculation? :pac:

Or can we speculate like Klondikers given he's a past doper?

There is basically no chance of the B sample result being different from that of the A sample, in this or any other case.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Brian? wrote: »
    So clenbuterol in meat and from an unknown source that lead to a 2 year ban?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Andalucia wrote: »
    does anyone really believe cycling has changed? Combine this with Irish amateurs testing positive and it just goes to show you depths those down the food chain will go just to be able to hold a wheel in front of them
    Has cycling changed? Well I think it's moving in the right direction tbh. It's no different from any other sport (professional or "amateur"), bar the relatively high amount of testing, and the higher level of focus on the issue.

This positive is a real kick in the teeth for the team though. I always favoured JV’s approach to the issue rather than others “zero tolerance” approach. The key is how they handle it from here really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some people will always cheat and hope to get away with it. In the past in cycling people probably thought there was a great chance of getting away with it. I think that has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Vaughters appears to have just announced that Slipstream, at least, will hammer on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

padjo5 wrote: »
    Vaughters appears to have just announced that Slipstream, at least, will hammer on!

He'd be in a whole load of **** if he folded up like that. Now if he has certain conditions in the riders contracts and want to set an example now that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

With Vaughters going back on his word to fold the whole team if they had 1 positive its good news for Ryan Mullen as he is set to stagiare and possibly be offered a contract.

Why did vaughters make that stupid statement anyway!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

morana wrote: »
    With Vaughters going back on his word to fold the whole team if they had 1 positive its good news for Ryan Mullen as he is set to stagiare and possibly be offered a contract.

Why did vaughters make that stupid statement anyway!!!!

Publicity and to appease the Gods of corporate governence/good PR etc. can't blame him for making a bold statement. He has to try things to keep his head above water.
    U2 once said they were going to do a free gig in Phoenix park. I remember Bono telling Gaybo on the Late Late Show. That never happened either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doc07 wrote: »
    Publicity and to appease the Gods of corporate governence/good PR etc. can't blame him for making a bold statement. He has to try things to keep his head above water.

A double standard for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

What exactly so you expect a poster to say?

Well not this !!!!
    Doc07 wrote: »
    U2 once said they were going to do a free gig in Phoenix park. I remember Bono telling Gaybo on the Late Late Show. That never happened either.

Can you imagine how the the team who cannot be named (received a warning for mentioning SKY.. talk about censorship) would be treated if they did this...'Cannot blame Vaughters' ?? bet there would be no end of blame for Brailsford

And I am not ranting I am pushing through a point but I guess if you challenge the status quo on here with 2 reasonable worded posts that go against the grain and hold a mirror up to how different riders/teams are treated then you are ranting !!!

( And don;t bother banning me I will close my account because if only cushy agreement with in grained bias is allowed there is no point. Heaven forbid that any biased attitudes are challenged )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

MPFG wrote: »
    Well not this !!!!

Can you imagine how the the team who cannot be named (received a warning for mentioning SKY.. talk about censorship) would be treated if they did this...'Cannot blame Vaughters' ?? bet there would be no end of blame for Brailsford

And I am not ranting I am pushing through a point but I guess if you challenge the status quo on here with 2 reasonable worded posts that go against the grain and hold a mirror up to how different riders/teams are treated then you are ranting !!!

( And don;t bother banning me I will close my account because if only cushy agreement with in grained bias is allowed there is no point. Heaven forbid that any biased attitudes are challenged )

Best storm off from boards ever!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Well not this !!!!

I was giving my humble opinion to a post about why Vaughters made the claim about closing down business if there were doping cases. I'm not agreeing with it, just saying it happens all the time in business. The phrase 'can't blame him/her' is a bit like saying I can see why they tried it/chancing their arm etc. it's not excusing it, just giving a reason for it. If I rob you because I'm hungry, that's the reason but it doesn't excuse it. Am I the only person who uses the phrase 'can't blame' like that. Sorry for not being so crystal clear as I take a minute away from stress to indulge in the trivial pursuit that is posting on Boards.ie on my iPhone.

Sport and business are not always black and white. Just like U2 and the free concert maybe Vaughters thought he could run a successful dope free team. Now that it looks line he can't should everyone get fired? Maybe, maybe not.

Finally, I have never blindly defended Team Sky on here. In fact I have posted here about my disappointment with Nibali using Pantani's old Doctor and Vino and Valverde being unrepentant dopers so I'm hardly blinkered towards team Sky. While you are entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Hey, now that MPFG is gone we can play the forbidden music (in this case, talk about SKY)
    48ZWvu1l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What would someone in Danielson's position have to lose really?
    Reputation? No, he's already a doper.
    His future? He's 37... so he's cashiered out of cycling if he's caught but it's not like there were many more tours left in those legs in any way.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I think Vaughters would come across as an infinitely greater asswhole if he folded a team, putting loads of people, many of whom of course with dependents, out of work on such a basis. Pointing the finger of righteousness at someone for not walking away from such responsibilities in my book would take a whole lot of self-righteousness. He may have very much meant those words when said, & they would hopefully make any relevant cyclist on the team a fair bit more reluctant to dope, given the nature of the consequences beyond just that sole cyclist. Doesn't mean I have to be full of admiration or have any real feelings for or against Vaughters cos I know nothing about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What would someone in Danielson's position have to lose really?
    Reputation? No, he's already a doper.
    His future? He's 37... so he's cashiered out of cycling if he's caught but it's not like there were many more tours left in those legs in any way.

It's the problems he brings to the team and to cycling in general that's the greater issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's the problems he brings to the team and to cycling in general that's the greater issue.

True... but having an ex-doper near the end of his career on the books is making yourself a hostage to fortune if you want to be clean... you are relying on his sense of personal honour to the team because I don't see the other penalties as being enough of a deterrent to someone in his position.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, I guess the plan was to have the weight of your team mates careers on your shoulders steering you straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FullGasCycle

LOL Danny Pate is really going to town on TD. Doing a Letterman Top 10 excuses on Twitter atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

LOL Danny Pate is really going to town on TD. Doing a Letterman Top 10 excuses on Twitter atm..

My Favourite

https://twitter.com/TheDPate/status/628664113607147521

Inquitus wrote: »

Why is Pate so pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Vaughters is playing this as expected really - behind all the spin, there is the same old **** - such hypocrisy like only cycling can do - some dopers good but Lance bad - David Millar welcomed back but Landis fed to the wolves

this Slipstream Sports backed team has a history of having former dopers on their books - some of whom we are expected to conclude are better off the juice than they were on it - that Danielson has been busted a second time is of no great shock to me - how it took this long is more the question

blaming supplements whilst riding for such an anti doping team - I mean give us a break

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I see it as danny pate just cyber bullying someone. Great example to set for his followers. He has the right to criticise but this is just as unacceptable as cheating. He is only making himself look bad imho.

lennymc wrote: »
    I see it as danny pate just cyber bullying someone. Great example to set for his followers. He has the right to criticise but this is just as unacceptable as cheating. He is only making himself look bad imho.

I think it's called satire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lennymc wrote: »

Apparently he's a pretty horrible chap, and comes across as a total douchebag in Blood, Sweat and Gears.....not watched it myself yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

godtabh wrote: »
    Why is Pate so pissed off?

I dunno. Pate seems like a bit of a tool. I watched blood sweat and gears and he comes across as such a douche to his otherwise supportive girlfriend and just in general.

Advertisement