Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danielson tests positive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

they must have decided that Danielson is now fair game - refreshing to see such honesty within the peleton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

If Pate considers Danielson to be certainly doping - as seems a fair assumption - if Pate is a clean rider, then I'd say he has plenty reason to be angry & say f.. him. Otoh I don't think his tweets are really all that high up on the amusement scale. "Amusement scale?! I didn't know there was a f......g amusement scale!" Ok Danny, I was just trying to be polite about saying I don't think you're very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

If I was a (clean) professional cyclist, I'm pretty sure id feel the same way as Pate.

I also think this shows a flaw in the LA investigation. What a joke having Danielson and the others getting six months for coming clean and telling their story.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

blame Travis - if he dealt with the mess properly then and treated everyone the same, this history would not repeat itself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

godtabh wrote: »
    Why is Pate so pissed off?

Pate and Danielson were team mates at Vaughter's team from 2008-10 so that might have something got to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 FullGasCycle

Anyone read TD affidavite to USADA. 17 pages of EPO, steroids, blood bags, doctors, evading dope tests and then at the very end a text from J. Vaughters and poof he's now clean. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's an odd one. Previously the silence from other riders would be.slated as being all down to the omerta. Now there's a current rider openly taking the piss out of a proven cheat, most likely twice over, and he's a cyber bully.

Does he deserve sympathy and not to be openly called to task and have the piss ripped out of him by someone in the pro peleton who was cheated by him?

This isn't the first time that Pate has gone after Danielson.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/news/usac-vs-obra-are-the-feds-growing-grass-roots-or-trampling-them_270056
    In early June 2012, Tom Danielson, Georgia Gould and Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski were among thousands of competitors at Vail’s Teva Mountain Games, a multi-sport event that includes bike racing, kayaking, rock climbing and trail running.

All three cyclists made the most of their trip to the Colorado high country, winning their respective races and collecting the accompanying $3,000 first-place prize checks.

A few days later, fellow pro cyclist Danny Pate penned what appeared to be a semi-sarcastic tweet, asking: “Hey @tomdanielson does @usacycling or @UCI_cycling know you raced the Teva Games this year, I don’t think it’s a UCI race?”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

just to be clear - I have no sympathy for Danielson - he deserves whatever punishment is coming to him. I do however feel that a professional on arguably the biggest team in cycling, who have just won the TDF, with 30k followers should show some more consideration and responsibility in his tweets and think of impressionable followers who may think that this is now an acceptable way of airing whatever grievances they may have, rather than slinging playground insults. There have been cases of suicides following social media bullying like this, and I do have sympathy for those people.

@thisregard - how does saying I was trying to keep my girfriend satisfied do anything to help break omerta or call danielson to task? Surely something like asking danielson (via twitter or not) why he cheated riders out of wins etc would be a much better way of calling him to task.

lennymc wrote: »
    @thisregard - how does saying I was trying to keep my girfriend satisfied do anything to help break omerta or call danielson to task? Surely something like asking danielson (via twitter or not) why he cheated riders out of wins etc would be a much better way of calling him to task.

He was just ripping the piss as to the reasons he doped, in the same way Danielson blames meat. Understandable to a point I think, even if not very mature. And the tweets aren't directed at Danielson, so unless he follows Pate, or someone shows him, he might not even know they exist. It's a bit different than teens putting all sorts of crap on a classmates facebook page.

Although he should really remember what happens to people in glass houses.

• Advertisement

his tweets were directed at @tomdanielson (danielson will get a notification that he was mentioned). Doesnt get more direct than that. One person's ripping the pi$$ can be another persons harrassment and bullying.

Anyway, Danielson probably doped again, should get a lifetime ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Doc07 wrote: »
    posting on Boards.ie on my iPhone.

Pet hate of mine, but why cant people just say phone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

terrydel wrote: »
    Pet hate of mine, but why cant people just say phone!

Because it is an iPhone?

In relation to any potential ban what can we expect. Is there rules around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Because it is an iPhone?

Isn't he 37?? Any decent ban is probably a lifetime ban anyways.

Because it is an iPhone?

Think lifetime ban for a second offence but not sure.

Because it is an iPhone?

No, its just a phone, same as all the others, so why do people with iphones feel the need to qualify it with the offending 'i' ?! :D
    Just a personal gripe, don't mind me.

As for bans, I haven't a clue on the rules, but Id suspect his career is over once the b sample is confirmed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

his tweets were directed at @tomdanielson (danielson will get a notification that he was mentioned). Doesnt get more direct than that. One person's ripping the pi$$ can be another persons harrassment and bullying.

Anyway, Danielson probably doped again, should get a lifetime ban.

I would think its fair to say Pate and Danielson most likely have a history.

Pate has a good reputation regards the doping subject. He won the world Espoirs TT way back in 01 I think, but other than a trial stint with Saeco team, he never went to Europe and rode domestically in the US. Apparently the reason was he knew how things were in Europe so didn't want to be there.

It was Vaughters who convinced him to go to Europe with Slipstream when they first formed back in 06/07. I think Pate was less than happy when they signed a lot of former Postal guys including Danielson and left the team in 2010. I don't think he has much time for any of the ex-Postal guys.

But as someone said, cycling is like a glasshouse, you never know who could be beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/24955873

This says 4 years for 1st major offence, lifetime ban for 2nd offence.
    Was T.D.'s first offence major. 6 months suspension might suggest, that it wasn't.

his tweets were directed at @tomdanielson (danielson will get a notification that he was mentioned). Doesnt get more direct than that.

Ah, the one I looked at that was quoted in this thread, number 9 on his list I think, didn't have an @ to anybody so I assumed none of his tweets had. I stand corrected, number 7 appears to be directed.

Re the Sent by my iPhone, it's defaulted automatically. On Android phones similar can also be defaulted, "Sent from my Android" or something like that. It can be switched off.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Re the Sent by my iPhone, it's defaulted automatically. On Android phones similar can also be defaulted, "Sent from my Android" or something like that. It can be switched off.

Aware of that, my pet hate is when people drop 'iphone' instead of phone into general conversation or sentences.
    I need to get out more :D

Aware of that, my pet hate is when people drop 'iphone' instead of phone into general conversation or sentences.
    I need to get out more :D

or an iPhone

Looked it up, and it appears the section below covers it (but I'm not sure).
    My reading of it is that he will get 4 years based on C below
    UCI wrote:
    Multiple Violations
    10.7.1 For a Rider or other Person’s second anti-doping rule violation, the period of
    Ineligibility shall be the greater of:
    a) six months;
    b) one-half of the period of Ineligibility imposed for the first anti-doping rule
    violation without taking into account any reduction under Article 10.6; or
    c) twice the period of Ineligibility otherwise applicable to the second antidoping
    rule violation treated as if it were a first violation, without taking into
    account any reduction under Article 10.6.
    The period of Ineligibility established above may then be further reduced by
    the application of Article 10.6.
    10.7.2 A third anti-doping rule violation will always result in a lifetime period of
    Ineligibility, except if the third violation fulfills the condition for elimination or
    reduction of the period of Ineligibility under Article 10.4 or 10.5, or involves a
    violation of Article 2.4. In these particular cases, the period of Ineligibility shall
    be from eight years to lifetime Ineligibility.
    10.7.3 An anti-doping rule violation for which a Rider or other Person has established
    No Fault or Negligence shall not be considered a prior violation for purposes
    of this Article.
    10.7.4 Additional Rules for Certain Potential Multiple Violations
    10.7.4.1 For purposes of imposing sanctions under Article 10.7, an anti-doping
    rule violation will only be considered a second violation if the UCI can
    establish that the Rider or other Person committed the second antidoping
    rule violation after the Rider or other Person received notice
    pursuant to Article 7, or after the UCI made reasonable efforts to give
    notice of the first anti-doping rule violation. If the UCI cannot establish
    this, the violations shall be considered together as one single first
    violation, and the sanction imposed shall be based on the violation
    that carries the more severe sanction.
    10.7.4.2 If, after the imposition of a sanction for a first anti-doping rule
    violation, the UCI discovers facts involving an anti-doping rule
    violation by the Rider or other Person which occurred prior to
    UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS
    E0115 ANTI-DOPING RULES 40
    notification regarding the first violation, then the UCI shall impose an
    additional sanction based on the sanction that could have been
    imposed if the two violations had been adjudicated at the same time.
    Results in all Competitions dating back to the earlier anti-doping rule
    violation will be Disqualified as provided in Article 10.8.
    10.7.5 Multiple Anti-Doping Rule Violations during Ten-Year Period
    For purposes of Article 10.7, each anti-doping rule violation must take place
    within the same ten-year period in order to be considered multiple violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I am not a vaughters fan!

Remember this is a man who setup a supposedly clean team with 6 convicted dopers on the books and then has an opportunity to retain a supposedly clean rider Phil Gaimon but hasnt room on the roster.....He's all talk

maybe he wasnt one of the "cool kids"

It better be a lifetime ban and not a 4-year ban.

If he got only four years, he would be back competing at age 41, which is the age that Chris Horner was when he won La Vuelta in 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »

Potentially a life ban but these are hard to enforce if contested. More likely a 4-8 year one (suspect 8 as was given lenient ban last time).

B tests are almost never different to A btw...

Either way his professional career is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

No, its just a phone, same as all the others, so why do people with iphones feel the need to qualify it with the offending 'i' ?! :D
    Just a personal gripe, don't mind me.

As for bans, I haven't a clue on the rules, but Id suspect his career is over once the b sample is confirmed.

Sorry for offending you:) I just meant internet or smart phone. I use iphone the same way as you one uses the term hoover, i'm not actually brand loyal.

Advertisement