Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danielson tests positive

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »
    Either way his professional career is over

Looking at his recent results I think his career ended last year in real terms

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

morana wrote: »
    I am not a vaughters fan!

Remember this is a man who setup a supposedly clean team with 6 convicted dopers on the books and then has an opportunity to retain a supposedly clean rider Phil Gaimon but hasnt room on the roster.....He's all talk

maybe he wasnt one of the "cool kids"

In fairness, they were not convicted dopers when he signed them and he never denied that there were riders on his team with a shady past. His mantra was, we give you the chance to ride clean and will monitor you to ensure you are doing so. How effective that is/was, we might just find out.

People disagree with that approach which is fair enough but I don't think he ever misled anyone on that. I know I was never under any illusions about some of their team members. It was a lot more pragmatic than the zero tolerance approach.

As for Gaimon, it was ironically Danielson who played a big part in getting him a spot on the team but he only had a one year contract and unfortunately the merger with Cannondale squeezed things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

DonegalBay wrote: »
    In fairness, they were not convicted dopers when he signed them and he never denied that there were riders on his team with a shady past. His mantra was, we give you the chance to ride clean and will monitor you to ensure you are doing so. How effective that is/was, we might just find out.

People disagree with that approach which is fair enough but I don't think he ever misled anyone on that. I know I was never under any illusions about some of their team members. It was a lot more pragmatic than the zero tolerance approach.

As for Gaimon, it was ironically Danielson who played a big part in getting him a spot on the team but he only had a one year contract and unfortunately the merger with Cannondale squeezed things.

Wasnt millar already convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Saint David is different. We all know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

True he was, but was seen as the reformed doper so perfect for PR purposes. Thomas Dekker was another in fact.

When they were trying to move the team forward in 08, it would have been difficult to find experienced riders without a shady past at that point.

Whether they should have just been more patient and progressed more slowly is another point fot debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Didn't he own a stake in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

godtabh wrote: »
    Didn't he own a stake in the team?

According to this article he is/was part-owner of Slipstream Sports along with JV.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/david-millars-worldtour-team-to-race-as-garmin-barracuda-in-2012.html#JHJCHpFIdHiiECxu.97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Doc07 wrote: »
    Sorry for offending you:) I just meant internet or smart phone. I use iphone the same way as you one uses the term hoover, i'm not actually brand loyal.

No harm done chief :D was meant in a lighthearted way!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Advertisement