Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermentation didn't even start.

Options
  • 03-08-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

First time brew. A reasonably expensive "the craft range" APA.

I followed the instructions to the letter. When I finally sealed the lid, it was at 22C. A few hours later the bucket was flat. ( it's semi-opaque, I didn't break the seal.). Next morning, still the same, but To add to my problems it's now down to 17 C.

I plan to get a heating Wrap ASAP, get her back up to 22/23, but will the yeast survive the false start, and kick in a few days later.

Very disappointed.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from B/W/S.

tHB

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Give it at least 72 hours. I can't always rely on my fermenter for signs of activity, I've a dodgy seal in the lid so no bulging/airlock activity. Only thing you can really rely on is hydrometer readings. That said if you've a new fermenter and are confident it has a good tight seal, it should be pressurised in less than 72 hours.

Did you just sprinkle this yeast on top at 22C? Did you aerate the wort? Not as much need with a kit, but still a good idea. It should be fine at 17C. Although toward the latter stages it can be a good idea to ramp up the temperature to help the yeast finish. I use a warm water bath for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Thanks zippy. I think it's just that I'm not used to the very slow gradual nature of the process. No prob getting back to 22C. I have a Lecky Blankey. Will stop panicking, and manage the temperature for next few days. Might give it a bit of a stirr if still no sign of life tomorrow night.

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I wouldn't open it for at least 72 hours. You don't want to introduce any unnecessary risks. The less contact with your wort or open lid time the better. If after 72 hours there is no sign of activity (airlock, bulge, krausen etc.) I would take a gravity reading with sterile equipment to see where you're at.

Fermentations are all different. Things that help kick-start a healthy fermentation are hydrating yeast (if it's dry yeast), doing a starter (if it's liquid yeast), aerating and oxygenating the wort before pitching, good pitching temperature, fresh ingredients and good mineral composition - this should be spot on since you're kit brewing. A slow start doesn't mean you did anything wrong, just means the yeast may not have had the perfect balance of these conditions... and as such, may take the yeast a little longer to get up to speed. Obviously good cleaning/sterilisation is also important.

Btw I wouldn't heat it up to 22C. 17C is a good temperature. Anything over 20C is getting a little too hot for the yeast, it can then produce off flavours. Lower temps will just take a little longer. I generally try to ferment around 17/18 and lately I've been trying to ramp it up to 19/20 when the fermentation has slowed down after 3-5 days usually for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Result. I am now getTing drunk on my very own beer. It's clear, lively, full-bodied. On 3rd bottle now, and I can feel it. I have picked up a few little lessons too, like - when it says "don't stir when adding hops, I say Why not? A little stirr won't hurt ". Also. Get a Tap on that vessel for cleaner bottling. Also, don't be in such a hurry to bottle. The clearer the better. Leave the whole long neck free for gas.... Etc. already planning my next brew. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Result. I am now getTing drunk on my very own beer. It's clear, lively, full-bodied. On 3rd bottle now, and I can feel it. I have picked up a few little lessons too, like - when it says "don't stir when adding hops, I say Why not? A little stirr won't hurt ". Also. Get a Tap on that vessel for cleaner bottling. Also, don't be in such a hurry to bottle. The clearer the better. Leave the whole long neck free for gas.... Etc. already planning my next brew. ...

Give in the dark side Skywalker! :)

Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labour.
    The more the brew the more you will pick up as you go, it is easy to freak out on the first brew when you are expecting a bubbling airlock.

I rarely bother with one anymore and just leave a solid lid lightly cracked open, enjoy the hobbey and with each beer it all becomes much easier.

Advertisement