Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student jobs

Options
  • 03-08-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm new to Dublin. Does anyone know the best places to find work as a student in Dublin?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The usual suspects of restaurant/cafe/bar work or retail I would imagine. Grafton St area has lots of all those things, Camden St area has lots of bars and restaurants, you could drop CVs into the shops. Otherwise big supermarkets like Tesco could have online applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hopeful2015

Thank you! So I guess its better to give my CV face to face for cafe and bar work than online (as I'm not having much luck emailing my CV)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Theres like 5% chance of getting a job online as a student tbh, face to face wayyy easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hopeful2015

Thank you Lucky Dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I'm a student and I applied to Tesco online about 3 weeks ago for a job and it's still in progress! Would agree that it's easier to get one face to face. Good luck though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would tailor your a CV a little depending on where you are handing CVs.

If you are looking for a job make sure your CV list past experience in a similar role. A little extra effort goes a long way.

People spend a few seconds glancing at CVs so make it easy for them to see what they are looking for in that job, and if going face to face look presentable and ask to speak with the manager or else there is a chance your CV will get stuck in a drawer or never make it to them.

My mate was having a hard time as he was handing the same CV for an office job into bars. I told him to split it into a bar CV and an office CV and he got a bar job within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Do you have tell the people who you hand the CV into that you're a student?

Otherwise if you get a job, the hours could interfere with college. Are you able to say you're just looking for part time/weekend work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Of course you can. It suits many places to have extra staff on only over the weekend or certain evenings.

I would mention it that you are student and the type of hours you are looking for, but be as flexible as possible. This could hamper you a little compared to someone who is completely flexible, but no point getting assigned shifts that you cannot work and miss either college or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Theres like 5% chance of getting a job online as a student tbh, face to face wayyy easier!

This is accurate.
    Of course you can. It suits many places to have extra staff on only over the weekend or certain evenings.

I would mention it that you are student and the type of hours you are looking for, but be as flexible as possible. This could hamper you a little compared to someone who is completely flexible, but no point getting assigned shifts that you cannot work and miss either college or work.

Also agreed.

Your best bet is to just print off a bunch of CVs (1 single sided page).

Leave your leaving cert results off of it, nobody cares about that. Just be certain that you have no spelling mistakes. Get a family member or friend to read over your CV before you print them off.

When you hand in the CV ask if the manager is around, don't let them see your CV, most places just put them in a drawer where they are forgotten about until they are hiring, or else go straight in a bin.

If there is no manager around just hand the CV over and say that is for the manager as if they are expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Stop taking our jobs ;)
    Only messing!
    Much better to go in, ask for the manager and hand it in face to face. Its a tough hunt for jobs out there at the moment but best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement