Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a lease early

Options
  • 03-08-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I've searched online and have been finding different answers to this question.

Essentially I looking to rent somewhere new, but there's a small possibility in few months time that I'll have to move abroad for my job.

If I sign a one year lease somewhere what are the repercussions for leaving early?

I'm torn between:

A) Short term lease somewhere until I'm sure with work
    B) Signing a one-year lease, and then having the chance that I have to give notice and leave (would a LL generally be accommodating if I give enough notice, absorb any costs and do my best to get a replacement?
    C) There's a place I really want, and I could request a three-month for there. The issue here is I don't want to risk missing out on the place I want, and finding out I don't have to move after all. At the same time it would feel dishonest to sign a longer lease than I'm sure I'm going to uphold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just find someone to reassign the lease to and there are no repercussions. If you leave without this then you are liable for the rent until the landlord finds a replacement.

Just find someone to reassign the lease to and there are no repercussions.

The assignee has to be acceptable to the landlord, of course.

Advertisement