Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't provide a reference or statement

Options
  • 03-08-2015 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

We have lived in our current place for 12 months. We have been good tenants always paid on time and kept the place neat and tidy. We live in a granny flat so we see our landlord every day so we thought we had a good relationship with him as we would stop and chat a lot.

Last week we asked could we get a reference fromhim as he knew we were moving soon to a bigger place as the current place was way too small and our income is a lot better now. He said no problem and he would provide it before he goes away for 3 weeks. He said he was going away Saturday so Friday my partner called to collect the letter but the landlord was already gone on holiday that Friday morning (so he lied about the date to avoid us asking again for the letter). He apologised that he forget to do the letter for us. He then said he would email it (still waiting 4 days).

We have viewings this week as we will be moving out soon and we need a reference as most places are requiring it. Our current landlord is obviously trying to keep us stuck in his place as we cannot move without a reference or even a basic statement saying we lived at ***** for 12 months. We are not looking for a huge essay just to say we paid on time and what not

What can we do? Also he probably won't be reachable if a new landlord calls him as he is out of the country.

We are afraid that he might give us a bad reference if a landlord calls him as he wants us to stay. He seemed shocked when gave our notice (he obviously assumed we would stay longer). I honestly did not think he would do this as we really were good tenants. I'd rather live on the street next month then give him another months rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

annejohn91 wrote: »
    We have lived in our current place for 12 months. We have been good tenants always paid on time and kept the place neat and tidy. We live in a granny flat so we see our landlord every day so we thought we had a good relationship with him as we would stop and chat a lot.

Last week we asked could we get a reference fromhim as he knew we were moving soon to a bigger place as the current place was way too small and our income is a lot better now. He said no problem and he would provide it before he goes away for 3 weeks. He said he was going away Saturday so Friday my partner called to collect the letter but the landlord was already gone on holiday that Friday morning (so he lied about the date to avoid us asking again for the letter). He apologised that he forget to do the letter for us. He then said he would email it (still waiting 4 days).

We have viewings this week as we will be moving out soon and we need a reference as most places are requiring it. Our current landlord is obviously trying to keep us stuck in his place as we cannot move without a reference or even a basic statement saying we lived at ***** for 12 months. We are not looking for a huge essay just to say we paid on time and what not

What can we do? Also he probably won't be reachable if a new landlord calls him as he is out of the country.

We are afraid that he might give us a bad reference if a landlord calls him as he wants us to stay. He seemed shocked when gave our notice (he obviously assumed we would stay longer). I honestly did not think he would do this as we really were good tenants. I'd rather live on the street next month then give him another months rent

contact him again asking him is it of for you to write the reference to save him the hassle of doing it and email it to him for approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

contact him again asking him is it of for you to write the reference to save him the hassle of doing it and email it to him for approval.

We were considering that as it's our only choice now at this stage. However would the new Landlord think its fake as our current landlord did not sign it. We could just explain our situation I suppose that our landlord is on holiday and could only email it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Have you contacted the PRTB or even threaten to and it may get the landlord to act. I was having terrible problems with my ex-landlord trying to get rent receipts and a reference, I was trying for nearly two months, in the end I said that I was fed up chasing her and that I contacted Threshold for advice who advised me to contact the PRTB, within a week I had the rent receipts and reference :) She wasn't registered with the PRTB either which probably landed her in more trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

My parents are Landlords and we even if we get "amazing written references". We still call the Landlord to check them and generally because LLs will be more honest over to the phone, than in a letter handed to the tenant. Just give your LLs number, if the new LL looks for a reference. Or give your employer details.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

newacc2015 wrote: »
    My parents are Landlords and we even if we get "amazing written references". We still call the Landlord to check them and generally because LLs will be more honest over to the phone, than in a letter handed to the tenant. Just give your LLs number, if the new LL looks for a reference. Or give your employer details.

Have a friend phone him up representing someone looking for a reference.

If your suspicions are correct, he'll put spin on the ball to wreck any move.

Best to know now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Landlord is probably not obliged to provide a reference but can't imagine, why he wouldn't except maybe sour grapes over losing good tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Landlord is probably not obliged to provide a reference but can't imagine, why he wouldn't except maybe sour grapes over losing good tenants.
    Perhaps the landlord is trying to stay under the Revenue's radar. A bit silly to avoid giving a reference, because such a document has no chance of finding its way on to a tax inspector's desk.

Perhaps the landlord is trying to stay under the Revenue's radar. A bit silly to avoid giving a reference, because such a document has no chance of finding its way on to a tax inspector's desk.

There is a significant value to the landlord in the status quo.

OP claims to be occupying a granny flat, and to be good terms with LL. OP has paid rent on time.

Outside of revenue etc, LL has an interest in keeping OP as tenant:
    1. The cost of find another tenant is non-zero.
    2. The reliability of another tenant is unknown.
    3. Another tenant can be noisier/more troublesome. Esp important for a granny flat.
    Bear in mind that the law in Ireland is seriously hostile to a landlord. A good tenant is worth a fair bit.

I'd be tempted to "play out the clock" in the LL's shoes, although I like to think I'd stop myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Am I right that the landlord is on holiday and out of the country? It's far more likely that's why he hasn't provided the reference rather than any other nefarious reason.

dudara wrote: »
    Am I right that the landlord is on holiday and out of the country? It's far more likely that's why he hasn't provided the reference rather than any other nefarious reason.

OP is trying to move. Probably, they have less than 4 weeks to find a place and move in.

The landlord delayed immediately providing a reference. Instead the landlord promised a reference for the Friday, and said he was leaving on the Saturday for 3 weeks.

On the Friday, he had already gone.

He promised an email reference, and has burned another 4 days of house-hunting by delaying again. If OP had n weeks of search time initially, they are down to n-1 weeks now through delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

OP here

Everything is all sorted as we called him today and explained that we really need this reference and he said he already emailed on Saturday evening. He called out my partners email and we realised he didn't enter in the right email address as he was missing a simple letter :P so 1 minute later our reference was emailed.

I feel bad now for accusing him but it was all an honest mistake but it seemed suspicious to us at the time :) very relieved and thank you everyone for all the advice and information :)

gambit83 wrote: »
    Have you contacted the PRTB or even threaten to and it may get the landlord to act.

There is no 'right' to a reference, of obligation on a landlord to supply one, even if you are a perfect tenant.

I suggest you nicely advise the landlord that you propose to pass on his contact details to the new agent if he is unable to get a reference to you in due time. This may result in some activity as the balance of convenience for him might be just to give you the reference.

Edit: I see problem just been solved. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement