Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees/Grants for MA

Options
  • 02-08-2015 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently waiting to start my undergrad in International Relations at DCU. I already know I want to go on and study an MA in either Human Rights or Geopolitics and the Global Economy at UCD, perhaps both, if I could afford it. Because of trouble with fees I've had for my current course, I'm already thinking ahead for financing for the postgrads. How much is admissions fees for MA's at UCD? Would it be possible to study for two MA's? I know I wouldn't get fees for the second, but it might be a bit more manageable doing the second one part time. Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AKeenan348 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently waiting to start my undergrad in International Relations at DCU. I already know I want to go on and study an MA in either Human Rights or Geopolitics and the Global Economy at UCD, perhaps both, if I could afford it. Because of trouble with fees I've had for my current course, I'm already thinking ahead for financing for the postgrads. How much is admissions fees for MA's at UCD? Would it be possible to study for two MA's? I know I wouldn't get fees for the second, but it might be a bit more manageable doing the second one part time. Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate the advice.

There is no free fees for postgraduate study. The MSc in human rights is €7,280. The MA Geopol & Global economy is €6,240. Both are 1-year full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

There is no free fees for postgraduate study. The MSc in human rights is €7,280. The MA Geopol & Global economy is €6,240. Both are 1-year full time.

Thanks for writing me back. So, there's no admission fees for either course? That fee is just what it says? It says on the SUSI website you can do one post grad, and as long as you are progressing, it's fine? Was thinking of doing the two, as I'm coming into a bit of money in a few years, and was going to keep it for one of my MA's.

Thanks for writing me back. So, there's no admission fees for either course? That fee is just what it says? It says on the SUSI website you can do one post grad, and as long as you are progressing, it's fine? Was thinking of doing the two, as I'm coming into a bit of money in a few years, and was going to keep it for one of my MA's.

The full fee for the course is all you pay. There's no student contribution or student levy for postgraduates (because there's no free tuition). I'm not sure what "admission" fee you're on about though..More info on fees and fee payment on the UCD website

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/2015/index.html
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/fees/feepaymentdates.html

SUSI is a different matter. You may be entitled to a grant, but if you are and how much will depend on your circumstances at the time. It is also different from undergraduate grants - there is no maintenance grant, only a contribution towards fees. Normal rate is €2000 or if you qualify for the special rate up to €6270.

You must be progressing - You're progressing going from level 8 (Hons. Bachelor) to MA/MSc, but doing two Masters degrees which are both level 9 on the NFQ scale, the second one doesn't count as progression. So if you are eligible for any sort of grant, it will only be for your first Masters degree.

The full fee for the course is all you pay. There's no student contribution or student levy for postgraduates (because there's no free tuition). I'm not sure what "admission" fee you're on about though..More info on fees and fee payment on the UCD website

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/2015/index.html
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/fees/feepaymentdates.html

SUSI is a different matter. You may be entitled to a grant, but if you are and how much will depend on your circumstances at the time. It is also different from undergraduate grants - there is no maintenance grant, only a contribution towards fees. Normal rate is €2000 or if you qualify for the special rate up to €6270.

You must be progressing - You're progressing going from level 8 (Hons. Bachelor) to MA/MSc, but doing two Masters degrees which are both level 9 on the NFQ scale, the second one doesn't count as progression. So if you are eligible for any sort of grant, it will only be for your first Masters degree.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I had a lot of trouble concerning fees. Didn't get SUSI for the first year of my undergrad, and I was almost going to be charged two years full fees. A total of €9722, per year. A third of that figure was tuition fees, but the remainder was Admission fees. But they changed their minds and now I qualify for free fees. They didn't explain the change of heart. I'm assuming as a postgrad course is new course at a higher FETAC Level, it would mean more admission fees as well as tuition fees. Yeah, It's too bad I wouldn't qualify for it again. I'd rather do a second MA, than a PHd. If you think of a way round it, let me know. Thanks so much, Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'd rather do a second MA, than a PHd.
    I'd really question the value of doing two MAs if you ultimately plan to do a PhD.

I'd also question whether you can really be so sure of what you want to do for postgraduate study before you've even begun your undergrad!

• Advertisement

As I said in my first post in this thread, I had a lot of trouble concerning fees. Didn't get SUSI for the first year of my undergrad, and I was almost going to be charged two years full fees. A total of €9722, per year. A third of that figure was tuition fees, but the remainder was Admission fees. But they changed their minds and now I qualify for free fees. They didn't explain the change of heart. I'm assuming as a postgrad course is new course at a higher FETAC Level, it would mean more admission fees as well as tuition fees. Yeah, It's too bad I wouldn't qualify for it again. I'd rather do a second MA, than a PHd. If you think of a way round it, let me know. Thanks so much, Appreciate the help.

I don't know where you read or saw that, but theres no such thing as an admission fee.

€3,043 is the student contribution which is paid by everyone, regardless if you get free fees or not. Then if you were told you had to pay fees, the tuition fee for your course (International relations) is €6,679 per year. So the per year cost would be €9,722 - as you have stated.

I think you've confused the student contribution as being the tuition fee. It's not -
    Most colleges charge an annual student contribution, formerly called the student services charge. It is also known as a registration fee and it covers student services and examinations. The amount of the contribution varies from one institution to another.

You can read more on the fees here:
    http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/fees_booklet_2015-16.shtml

As I've said before, there is no such thing as an admission fee. And regarding the student contribution (or registration fees), they are not applicable to postgraduate students. Only the tuition fees apply (again, this is outlined in the fees booklet above).

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'd really question the value of doing two MAs if you ultimately plan to do a PhD.

Go home djpbarry, you're drunk :pac:

Than != then

I don't know where you read or saw that, but theres no such thing as an admission fee.

€3,043 is the student contribution which is paid by everyone, regardless if you get free fees or not. Then if you were told you had to pay fees, the tuition fee for your course (International relations) is €6,679 per year. So the per year cost would be €9,722 - as you have stated.

I think you've confused the student contribution as being the tuition fee. It's not -

You can read more on the fees here:
    http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/fees_booklet_2015-16.shtml

As I've said before, there is no such thing as an admission fee. And regarding the student contribution (or registration fees), they are not applicable to postgraduate students. Only the tuition fees apply (again, this is outlined in the fees booklet above).

Go home djpbarry, you're drunk :pac:

Than != then

I was told about the "Admission Fee" from a SUSI staffer on the helpline.

djpbarry wrote: »

I'd also question whether you can really be so sure of what you want to do for postgraduate study before you've even begun your undergrad!

I'm really passionate about learning and writing. But I think a PHd would be quite difficult and expensive. And I know it's very difficult to get funding. But I also want to give myself an excellent chance of gaining employment, hence why I would rather do two MAs, than a PHd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm really passionate about learning and writing. But I think a PHd would be quite difficult and expensive. And I know it's very difficult to get funding. But I also want to give myself an excellent chance of gaining employment, hence why I would rather do two MAs, than a PHd.
    If you're only planning on doing a Masters (or two) to enhance your employment prospects, then I would suggest you don't bother. It seems to be a very common misconception that completing a Masters will make job searching a whole lot easier, but this is rarely the case. Experience trumps qualifications almost every time.

I was told about the "Admission Fee" from a SUSI staffer on the helpline.

Well then they were lying. Maybe not intentionally - they may just have no idea what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement