Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam wand is loud, any ideas?

• 03-08-2015 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

I've been using a Siemens bean to cup machine for the last year (it's been sitting there for years beforehand) and have been really enjoying making lattes, but recently the steam wand has been making a different noise... I can feel the jug vibrating in my hand and it makes a gurgling sort of sound that goes to a screech as the milk gets warmer, and I can't get proper microfoam out of it. I made a short video to help show what I mean:

https://youtu.be/CBfDPwKKcME

I'm definitely using the wand correctly so it's nothing to do with being too high or low. I also cleaned the steam wand, screwed it off/on again. I'm suspecting it's maybe limescale or a slight leak but no idea really... There's a single video online of someone disassembling the machine and an exploded drawing but I don't really want to mess with it if it's something I can fix. Anyone had this issue and have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you tried a descaler such as dezcal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have you tried a descaler such as dezcal?
    I haven't used any descaler yet! I wasn't sure where I could buy one apart from online. Is it easy to get anywhere?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I get it online, not sure if any of the coffee shops sell it.

I think I'll try that before opening anything up, just to be safe! I am looking forward for it to be solved.

Yeah, well worth a try before tearing the thing apart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

My Gaggia steam wand does the same (specifically the screeching) after a few months of gross neglect. It's basically a blockage somewhere, so descaling & sticking a long pin up it and generally cleaning it should get it back to normal.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    My Gaggia steam wand does the same (specifically the screeching) after a few months of gross neglect. It's basically a blockage somewhere, so descaling & sticking a long pin up it and generally cleaning it should get it back to normal.

z
    It's looking like a scale issue alright - it's just popped up a message saying it needs a descaling. Hopefully somewhere local do the descaler, if not I'll grab it online. Thanks everyone!

I'm sure you do this anyway but after every use, wipe with a damp cloth and blow some steam through to clean out any milk residue that may be stuck there.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm sure you do this anyway but after every use, wipe with a damp cloth and blow some steam through to clean out any milk residue that may be stuck there.
    Yup, have always done that by principle - do not want yucky dry milk building up!

Well, I found a DeLonghi descaler pack locally, mixed it up and went through the descaling program. Got the same noise again a few times but after a bit of poking inside the wand and letting it screech a little it seems to be getting back to normal! Now to enjoy my lattes without it sounding like a banshee :) I must descale it more often though, water in Laois is not exactly the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On my DeLonghi bean-to-cup machine I have to set the water hardness level in the setup menu so that it knows how often to ask for a descale. They supply a little testing strip for that purpose with the machine. The water here in Bray is about as soft as it can be so it only needs doing very infrequently though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement