Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get the exact land surface area of a site?

Options
  • 03-08-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Where can the exact land surface area of a parcel of land be found ? I read before that there have been cases of maps been wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I doubt you'll find it. It would be very difficult to guarantee such a quantity as the earth is not flat. Sites are never perfectly flat either. You're simply not dealing with 2 dimensions, even though a map always is.

Even here in Germany where we have a cadastral system, area is never ever guaranteed. It's always a case of you buying the site according to the boundary markers on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What purpose do you need this information for?

Check Ordnance Survey maps - it might give a general indication, but is in no way guaranteed.

Otherwise it's a matter of examining the title documents and hiring a land surveyor. That would be quite accurate, but might not be precise, in particular if the title documents are vague as to which side of the wall / hedge / fence the boundary is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

check irishgeomorphology.wordpress.com/gis-and-remote-sensing-data-for-ireland/
    might find something useful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I remember seeing an article a year ago or so where this guy bought land somewhere in Ireland and it turned out he actually got more land that he though he was buying as the maps were wrong. I can't find the link for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I remember seeing an article a year ago or so where this guy bought land somewhere in Ireland and it turned out he actually got more land that he though he was buying as the maps were wrong. I can't find the link for it

That can happen every day of the week due to tiny discrepancies in the folio maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

kceire wrote: »
    That can happen every day of the week due to tiny discrepancies in the folio maps.

in this case it was a few acres, the buyer was well happy

Advertisement