Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking power quality

Options
  • 03-08-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anyone know if there is a way of monitoring the quality of the power in my house?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone know if there is a way of monitoring the quality of the power in my house?

Yes

What is your concern? THD, under voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

Yes at times I feel that there is not enough power .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes at times I feel that there is not enough power .

Why do you think this?
    What are the symptoms?
    This could simply be an issue of excessive volt drop due to undersized cables.

one night when we turned on the electric shower it caused a problem with the dishwasher. When I turned off the shower the dishwasher worked again.This has happened on 2 occasions recently.

one night when we turned on the electric shower it caused a problem with the dishwasher. When I turned off the shower the dishwasher worked again.This has happened on 2 occasions recently.

It sounds like the combined load may be causing excessive volt drop at the dishwasher.
    There are a number of possibilities, but mainly:

1) There is not enough power available from the ESB. A larger transformer or larger cables supplying your meter and distribution board may be required.

2) The final circuit supplying the dishwasher may be using undersized cables.

The voltage at the appliance should not be less than 95% of the nominal voltage (230VAC). If I were investigating this I would measure the voltage at the dishwasher when it is switched on while the shower is running.

When was the house wired?
    Are you living in a rural area?
    Are there any other issues ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Rent a power line analyser from the likes of BARB electrical a VIPs meter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It would also be worth your while getting a sparks to check the main board for loose connections. I come across it regularly in older houses where someone has gunthered in the 10sq for the shower disturbing other cables in the DB.

Do the lights dim when you turn on the kettle or an iron for example ?

Ken

The lights dim when the electric shower is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Contact ESB and register a low voltage complaint. They will install a power meter to check the voltage over a certain period.

Advertisement