Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grommets - what to expect after

Options
  • 03-08-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

My 28month old has very delayed speech and two repeated audiology tests confirmed that he has persistent glue ear in both ears. He's booked to get grommets next week. I'm relieved as I was really concerned about his speech but I don't really know what to expect afterwards? Has anyone's children had them around the same age?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know much about it, but I remember my friend saying that blood started coming out of her child's ear a couple of days later and she would have panicked had someone not warned her that it happened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ok that would have terrified me! Was there a noticeable improvement in speech or do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes she was delighted, he was almost 3 and had very poor speech, a few months later he was speaking 3 word sentences that anyone could understand .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Yes she was delighted, he was almost 3 and had very poor speech, a few months later he was speaking 3 word sentences that anyone could understand .

Oh I can't wait to hear his little voice properly. Hopefully he'll do as well as that little chap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My little one needs them too for glue ear although speech is excellent.

Those whose kids have had them saw a big improvement in speech and I've noticed it too in their children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My little girl got them YH: she was much younger than your little boy: she was 11 months. She was after massively regressing: she wasn't babbling sounds had stopped saying mama and was shrieking a lot. She said mama and walked within a week of getting them. Her speech is still slow but she babbles sounds and will shake her head or nod now so definitely hearing which is great. But she's very young still only 17 months so she has some words and is improving all the time. There is no comparison between before and after.

The aftermath was fine: we had to stay a little longer than most about 6 hours rather than 4 as they sited the IV in her neck bcause they couldn't get a vein. I was given sofradex ear drops in case of discharge but we had none. She had no major discomfort afterwards but I gave her neurofen going to bed that night.

Hope it all goes well for Ye :)

Advertisement