Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Limerick

• 03-08-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm think of joining a gym in Limerick and was wondering was there any in house special prices going on? I've been looking at Club Vitae in roxboro and Planet Health up the road from there but the online prices aren't great value!!

I know sometimes in the summer months there can be special prices offered and they may not put these up online. Any current members of Club Vitae or Planet Health know if there are any special offers there at the moment for new members?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Club Vitae were doing €99 offer over the weekend. If you chance ringing tomorrow and mentioning the offer, you may still get it for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Anytime people have been asked about club vitae here it has got awful reviews. Last time I was a member it was a terrible gym and from last I heard it still is. They give great offers but it's for a reason.

There was a thread in the Limerick section already about gyms. If you take a look at the last few pages it should give you a good idea of where to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Thanks for the responses guys. Will suss out those gyms and possibly others tomorrow. Club vitae would be handy because it's not far away, not too bothered once the basics are up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

What is the gym like in the Southcourt? Is there a pool there. The website seems not too good. Usually hotel gyms are handy providing towels etc and at least there is plenty of parking there.

McBain11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. Will suss out those gyms and possibly others tomorrow. Club vitae would be handy because it's not far away, not too bothered once the basics are up and running.

My main gripe with club vitae was that most the time machines were down. They would have 6 treadmills and at times only 2 or 3 might be working. Same with other machines too.

If it's weights your into its not too bad. Plenty of machines and a decent set of free weights. No power rack though. Only one of those smith machines which I used but to be honest never felt a benefit using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Can i resurrect this - how is the gym in the Clarion? i know the pool is tiny but is the gym adequate?

How busy is it at peak times? I go to the gym before work so get there around 6.30 am. Do they have many cross trainers etc?

I will hopefully get a chance to call in there soon but wanted to get opinions here first. i am currently a member in the strand but everything is broken there - they dont replace anything, just do a shoddy jop patching things up and hope for the best. Its pricey considering the gym is in bad shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Parchment wrote: »
    Can i resurrect this - how is the gym in the Clarion? i know the pool is tiny but is the gym adequate?

How busy is it at peak times? I go to the gym before work so get there around 6.30 am. Do they have many cross trainers etc?

I will hopefully get a chance to call in there soon but wanted to get opinions here first. i am currently a member in the strand but everything is broken there - they dont replace anything, just do a shoddy jop patching things up and hope for the best. Its pricey considering the gym is in bad shape.

I'm a member of the strand too and only one cross trainer out of order at the moment. I would hardly say the gym is in bad shape and that everything is broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm a member of the strand too and only one cross trainer out of order at the moment. I would hardly say the gym is in bad shape and that everything is broken?

Personally i find it to be - thats just me. The showers are not clean, there is often no soap in the dispensers and the toilets can leave a lot to be desired.

There were 4 cross trainers before - now there are 3. One is out of order and the other two are on their way out. Its quite a busy gym so i dont see why funds cant be directed to replacing or even updating machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 t00019475

I joined the strand for 3 months in October. I've had no issues with shower gel, cross trainers are in a bad way. but i was told when i rejoined last week that their getting 3 New cross trainers in late January. There waiting on the delivery. They also upgraded their dumbbells lately and upgraded the pool also. I find the showers are kept very clean but the showers themselves are very out dated and badly need to be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

t00019475 wrote: »
    I joined the strand for 3 months in October. I've had no issues with shower gel, cross trainers are in a bad way. but i was told when i rejoined last week that their getting 3 New cross trainers in late January. There waiting on the delivery. They also upgraded their dumbbells lately and upgraded the pool also. I find the showers are kept very clean but the showers themselves are very out dated and badly need to be upgraded.

new equipment is always "coming up in few weeks"....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There are definitely issues with the Strand gym but it really is the best of a bad bunch. For a supposedly 'sporting city' the Gyms in Limerick are woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Strand gym is pretty poor alright. Not enough room to swing a cat in there. There was a great gym on the corner of Henry Street and Lower Cecil Street some years back. It was the best gym in the city by far. Sadly, it was closed and became a bank instead.

Not a member but from what I have seen the Body Building looks like the best gym around. It's a pity it's on the complete opposite side of town for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 t00019475

I looked at joining the body building gym but just didnt like the atmosphere there. A little over crowded with guys checking themselves out and posing. Dooradoyle gym isn't bad.......will prob. Join there when my renewal is up at the Strand if the cross trainers don't arrive as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 macmurchu

Has anyone been to the crossfit or heard what the one in limerick is like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Feedback on Beefit please?
    Body building take its all meatheads and posers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

bigpink wrote: »
    Body building take its all meatheads and posers?

Nope! loads of fairly lean GAA lads in their training. All shapes and sizes are in there as they have so many classes.

To make the distinction its: THE body Building. not Body Building..

its by far the best gym in limerick thats open to the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So its a regular gym aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

bigpink wrote: »
    So its a regular gym aswell?

Aswell? its a gym! it has a free weights section, a separate room for classes upstairs, a boxing area, a fake grass area for sleds and farmers walks, loads of machines, treadmills etc.

Its hands down the best gym in Limerick bar Munsters Elite gym which is off limits to the public.

Advertisement