Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a mic to work?

Options
  • 03-08-2015 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use phone headphones/mic combo on a pc? ive plugged em in and tried but the mic doesnt work even tho i know the mic is working will they just not work on pc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

evo2000 wrote: »
    Is it possible to use phone headphones/mic combo on a pc? ive plugged em in and tried but the mic doesnt work even tho i know the mic is working will they just not work on pc?

You mean like a headset? Is there two separate jacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Did you selected the headset in the pc audio mixer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

mordeith wrote: »
    You mean like a headset? Is there two separate jacks?

no u know the one you get with a phone its like headphones and a mic all in one theres only one jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Unless your sound card can take a combo plug, you will need to get a splitter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Unless your sound card can take a combo plug, you will need to get a splitter.

i had no sound card :( i only needed the mic

Is there no other way to get it to work just as a mic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

evo2000 wrote: »
    i had no sound card :( i only needed the mic

Is there no other way to get it to work just as a mic?
    If your computer makes noises, you have a sound card.

Most computers have separate jacks for headphone and microphone, but some laptops now use a combo jack. When you have a combo jack, you usually get a popup from the sound drivers when you plug something in so that you can configure it properly (I'm not sure whether a combo jack is either headset OR Microphone, or whether it can use a headset AND mic at the same time, but I suspect not).

Some people find it's just less hassle to use a USB headset/mic, though they are a bit more expensive.

Advertisement