Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Lleyandii Hedge

Options
  • 03-08-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I've been reading threads on here regarding hedging and see that Lleyandii has a terrible rep.

That said, I'm wondering if it would suit my situation.

I'm living in a rural area and have an acre around the house so space isn't a problem.

Wind is though. Our house is across from a large hill so the wind literally comes sweeping down the hill across from us and thumps into the front of the house in windy conditions. Therefore I want something that is a good windbreaker to place at the top of the garden and try to temper some of this wind.

The other factor is privacy. Our front garden and laneway are adjacent to the lane of a farm area which has trucks going up and down it most days. We'd like to put up a decent barrier as truck drivers often think our house is connected to the farm area and stop with delivery dockets or queries. We have a fence in place but they sometimes just jump it.

The farm area is also the right of the house and while away from us it is visible and we'd like something that grows 6 to 8 foot quickly and blocks out the view.

The other factor is time. If we had our way, the hedge would already be there but, due to other projects, we simply didn't get round to planting it yet but will this planting season.

So, is Lleyandii the right match?
    I realise people seem to hate it but from my research it sounds right for us.

Other options I have thought about are Laurel or Green Privet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Laurel yes: we maintain ours at 8 feet, clip the top every year from a small platform, job done
    Tapered from widest at bottom to thinest on top for light at base.
    Put wind screen on the fence to help it get started
    Lleyandii no, it will become unmanageable, been there done that dug them out.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Laurel yes: we maintain ours at 8 feet, clip the top every year from a small platform, job done
    Tapered from widest at bottom to thinest on top for light at base.
    Put wind screen on the fence to help it get started
    Lleyandii no, it will become unmanageable, been there done that dug them out.

How long will Laurel generally take to grow to 8 foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

No, please. Or buy mine? Really nice one.

Try beech or yew. At least if you miss a year or two cutting you can do a deep prune back to a sensible level. Think of your children, and theirs!

Roadtoad wrote: »
    No, please. Or buy mine? Really nice one.

Try beech or yew. At least if you miss a year or two cutting you can do a deep prune back to a sensible level. Think of your children, and theirs!

Beech is too slow to grow from what I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or plant a hedgerow. I think a row of identical trees looks a bit odd in the countryside. A mix of hawthorn, (in a staggered line) allowed to grow, and trees would be wind diverting, maybe not quite as quick as leylandii but it would give a nice hedge.

• Advertisement

The one thing I did forget to mention is that my father is a farmer so he has a tractor and a hedgetrimmer for it.

Therefore, if I get him to trim the Leylandii each year, will them overgrowing be such a problem?

There's a large coniferous forest area at the back of our house and other coniferous forest areas in the region so they wouldn't look that out of place to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I personally don't have an issue with Lleyandii, once everyone is going in with their eye's wide open of the potential problems. We planted it, on our north boundary (just fields beside us, no neighbour), with mixed trees inside it - we'll suck up getting them taken out in future years, but in the meantime it's given us privacy from a busy road relatively quickly, whilst the mixed planting grows.

One possible issue in the circumstances maybe that it may be too dense for a wind break?

Laurel will do the privacy job too, but slower growing. It has the advantage of being able to be cut right back though.

Red Alder is a fairly dense deciduous option (grows to a similar size to birch, but with a less open structure and bigger leaves) - it's done well for us. We went with it as animals don't eat it, and the deer haven't gone near it (and they've damaged a lot of my planting over the years). They're starting to send out suckers now, which I imagine will thicken up the line for us, but may be an issue if you wanted a more formal line.

We've had a lleyandaii hedge for 20 years. The first 5 or so it was a bugger to trim. Now, however it barely grows, is at a manageable height and is no bother.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Lleyandii will stain your roof tiles, window frames, cars in driveway etc with a dull green residue. The pollen it gives off turns everything green - especially if you're going to be down-wind as you describe.

You will rue the day you planted it if you go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

I do not buy into the leylandii paranoi. But consider portuguese laurel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

My dad has it planted around our house out the country also. It was great at the time as it made the ground around it bone dry and it shot up. Now though that he is getting on I do the trimming of the hedge with him and its an absolute nightmare. One year we cut an average of 4 feet off them and less than two years later they were back to the same height.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. I tried to dig one out with our 3 ton mini digger one day! One of the hardest jobs i every had to do with a tree. Their resilience is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gardeninghobby

I found Lleyandii good for hedging. It grows vigorously and provides good shelter from the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Lemlin wrote: »
    I've been reading threads on here regarding hedging and see that Lleyandii has a terrible rep.

That said, I'm wondering if it would suit my situation.

I'm living in a rural area and have an acre around the house so space isn't a problem.

Wind is though. Our house is across from a large hill so the wind literally comes sweeping down the hill across from us and thumps into the front of the house in windy conditions. Therefore I want something that is a good windbreaker to place at the top of the garden and try to temper some of this wind.

The other factor is privacy. Our front garden and laneway are adjacent to the lane of a farm area which has trucks going up and down it most days. We'd like to put up a decent barrier as truck drivers often think our house is connected to the farm area and stop with delivery dockets or queries. We have a fence in place but they sometimes just jump it.

The farm area is also the right of the house and while away from us it is visible and we'd like something that grows 6 to 8 foot quickly and blocks out the view.

The other factor is time. If we had our way, the hedge would already be there but, due to other projects, we simply didn't get round to planting it yet but will this planting season.

So, is Lleyandii the right match?
    I realise people seem to hate it but from my research it sounds right for us.

Other options I have thought about are Laurel or Green Privet.

If you get yellow ones they are not as dark looking.
    Once they get to the height you want you need to religiously keep them trimmed each year to keep them as a hedge as they will keep growing and growing and that's when they become unmanageable.
    They do act as a good windbreak if planted as a hedge and kept well trimmed to keep them dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

looksee wrote: »
    Or plant a hedgerow. I think a row of identical trees looks a bit odd in the countryside. A mix of hawthorn, (in a staggered line) allowed to grow, and trees would be wind diverting, maybe not quite as quick as leylandii but it would give a nice hedge.
    +1 to this.
    There is nothing that looks as odd or out of place than a leyandii hedge in the open countryside, you might as well just bulid a block wall and paint it green, at least that way you won't have to maintain it.
    Plant a mixed hedgerow, with hawthorn, blackthorn, ash and perhaps some hollies, it'll be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye plus you'll be providing a habitat for wildlife.

+1 to this.
    There is nothing that looks as odd or out of place than a leyandii hedge in the open countryside, you might as well just bulid a block wall and paint it green, at least that way you won't have to maintain it.
    Plant a mixed hedgerow, with hawthorn, blackthorn, ash and perhaps some hollies, it'll be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye plus you'll be providing a habitat for wildlife.

How long will those take to grow though?

+1 to this.
    Depends on the locality - around us (as with the OP) there's a lot of forestry. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Leylandii, other cypress varieties or spruces/ pines used in forestry in my experience (of boring people to death trying to talk about trees!).

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Depends on the locality - around us (as with the OP) there's a lot of forestry. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Leylandii, other cypress varieties or spruces/ pines used in forestry in my experience (of boring people to death trying to talk about trees!).

That's the thing exactly. There's a lot of bog area in my locality and it has coniferous trees planted on it so I don't think people will notice the difference much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Go best of both worlds.
    Plant 2 lines:
    - something nice, permanent and slower growing
    - and then a line of lelandi as a quick grower which you then cut out/dig in 7 - 10 years when the other is well established

+1 to this.

Just want to say I love your user name. It's Suffolk and Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The one thing I did forget to mention is that my father is a farmer so he has a tractor and a hedgetrimmer for it.

Therefore, if I get him to trim the Leylandii each year, will them overgrowing be such a problem?

There's a large coniferous forest area at the back of our house and other coniferous forest areas in the region so they wouldn't look that out of place to be honest.

You can't cut Leylandii successfully with a tractor mounted hedgetrimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

cannotcope wrote: »

They are located in Northampton so can't see them coming to Cavan. I would also imagine the cost would be large.

my3cents wrote: »
    You can't cut Leylandii successfully with a tractor mounted hedgetrimmer.
    My father in law gets his lawson's cypress hedge done by tractor every year - I would have assumed any of the cypress varieties and crosses could be done that way?

How long will those take to grow though?
    Depends on the finish height you require, but going on the 6/8 feet you mention in your OP then about 5 years, although it can take less time if you look after the trees in the early years, i.e. keep the ground weed free.
    Comparing a trimmed leylandii hedge to conferious forestry is like comparing chalk and cheese, there is no comparsion.
    IDK if you like the look of a big green wall, then go for it, personally I think it looks unnatural, but if that's your thing then go for it.
    That's the thing exactly. There's a lot of bog area in my locality and it has coniferous trees planted on it so I don't think people will notice the difference much to be honest.
    You're probably right, the vast majority of people probably won't notice it, but are you doing for them or yourself?.

My father in law gets his lawson's cypress hedge done by tractor every year - I would have assumed any of the cypress varieties and crosses could be done that way?

Cut it back too far just once and thats an end of green growth from that part of the plant. Its just too easy to cut too hard into a hedge with tractor mounted equipment.

Edit> Then how do you do the garden side of the hedge? You'd always need to leave tractor access down both sides of the hedge.

Has anyone any idea of the cost of Leylandii? I have 160 metres of hedging needed. That's 16000cm and the estimates I've seen say a tree every 80cm so that's 200 trees.

A price I have seen online is €5 for trees grown in containers that are 80 to 100cm high.

Is that what they normally cost?
    my3cents wrote: »
    Edit> Then how do you do the garden side of the hedge? You'd always need to leave tractor access down both sides of the hedge.

Well in my case I'll wait until the ground is dry and just drive the tractor onto the garden. Not preferable but needs must. I'm not particularly a person hugely into gardening. I view my garden as something for the kids and once it looks anyway acceptable I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

+1 to this.

But very little in the way of wind protection in winter if its deciduous.The onlyevergreen thing mentioned is holly and that's a really slow grower.
    Maybe a mixed evergreen hedge could work though...

Roselm wrote: »
    But very little in the way of wind protection in winter if its deciduous.The onlyevergreen thing mentioned is holly and that's a really slow grower.
    Maybe a mixed evergreen hedge could work though...
    Don't know where you are getting the notion the evergreen equals the only wind protection/break available, that's simply not correct. While there is slightly less of a wind break effect with deciduous over evergreen in winter that is more than counter balanced by the increased light levels, the benefits of which are not to be underestimated.

Another suggestion I have had is Hornbeam. Not as quick to grow but will make a good full hedge I am told in about 3-4 years.

Also suggested that some thorn could be mixed into it.

• Advertisement

Another suggestion I have had is Hornbeam. Not as quick to grow but will make a good full hedge I am told in about 3-4 years.

Also suggested that some thorn could be mixed into it.

Hornbeam makes a nice hedge, recommended iirc for exposure and heavy soils and keeps a lot of its dead dry leaves on the stems overwiinter? However I wouldn't say its any faster growing than say a beech hedge. Again and to get the best of the winter retention effect you don't really want to be cutting it with a flail mower.

Advertisement