Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Lleyandii Hedge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommo22

I have Lleylandii hedge all around my garden and it looks great. I did let it go for a good many years (and have learned my lesson) then it was a nightmare to cut. I took about 7 feet off the top and trimmed the sides back. It looked terrible afterwards but recovered really well. This year is 2 years since that, and it has developed beautifully.
    You absolutely need to trim it every year, that way if forms a dense hedge. Trimming is really easy now, because you just trim as far as the dense carpet that formed where it was last cut. That way you always cut it to the same place and it only gets thicker there. Any shoots that grow outwards will only be green "leafy" shoots, and are simple to cut.
    Once you cut it every year it becomes really quick and easy to trim, and the lack of woody parts means it rots into great compost.
    So, if you are willing to spend an afternoon every year without fail, you will have the best windbreaker by far, and it looks awesome with its mix ox green and green/yellow.
    Any people that say it will grow out of control must have not kept it in check, like myself a few years ago.
    Just trim the sides lightly while you are waiting fro it to reach the desired height. Then Trim the tops, you may have gaps in between, but you will literally see these filling in by the week.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No one has yet mentioned how much room a Leylandii hedge takes up. If you have a one acre garden then you can probably afford to loose the two or more metres it will take up.

Advertisement