Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science in NUIM

Options
  • 03-08-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Im going into 6th year this year and have been contemplating what to put on my CAO. I was thinking of putting Biological and Biomedical Science in NUIM as my first option and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what its like to study Biomedical Science in Maynooth. Thanks in advance. :)

(Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section/area, I'm new to Boards.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Cait99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im going into 6th year this year and have been contemplating what to put on my CAO. I was thinking of putting Biological and Biomedical Science in NUIM as my first option and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what its like to study Biomedical Science in Maynooth. Thanks in advance. :)

(Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section/area, I'm new to Boards.ie)

I heard from friends it is amazeballs, but as far as I know it is not accredited by AMLS or Institute of Biomedical Science(UK)
    And Maynooth is enthralling you're heading in the right direction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cait99

miissjuly wrote: »
    I heard from friends it is amazeballs, but as far as I know it is not accredited by AMLS or Institute of Biomedical Science(UK)
    And Maynooth is enthralling you're heading in the right direction ;)

That's really informative, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helenlambkin

If you want to study Biomedical Science there are multiple degrees available from colleges all round Ireland. You might think about what career you are aiming towards.
    If you want to work as a Medical Scientist in a hospital lab. [Haematology,Blood Transfusion, Medical Microbiology, Clinical Biochemistry, Histopathology], you must study a degree that is accredited for work in those areas [available in DIT, CIT/UCC and Medical Science from GMIT]. These colleges have a placement in hospitals as part of the training, so you are ready for work on completion, and will be acceptable for registration as a Medical Scientist.

All Biomedical science degrees make you a scientist, you can go on to many careers in research, education and all sorts of allied areas. I have scientist friends who work as journalists, in banks,as teachers, lecturers, medical doctors, and some of whom have retrained in completely different careers.
    It's all ahead of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cait99

If you want to study Biomedical Science there are multiple degrees available from colleges all round Ireland. You might think about what career you are aiming towards.
    If you want to work as a Medical Scientist in a hospital lab. [Haematology,Blood Transfusion, Medical Microbiology, Clinical Biochemistry, Histopathology], you must study a degree that is accredited for work in those areas [available in DIT, CIT/UCC and Medical Science from GMIT]. These colleges have a placement in hospitals as part of the training, so you are ready for work on completion, and will be acceptable for registration as a Medical Scientist.

All Biomedical science degrees make you a scientist, you can go on to many careers in research, education and all sorts of allied areas. I have scientist friends who work as journalists, in banks,as teachers, lecturers, medical doctors, and some of whom have retrained in completely different careers.
    It's all ahead of you!

Very Informative! Thank you for the reply

Advertisement