Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self locking barriers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Have jourdain barriers here. Can't fault them at all other than they don't get much use.

If you were going again, would you just by standard diagonals?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Emm it depends really. If you use AI a lot there very handy. We probably have ours in the wrong place. We're nearly always closer to the crush when we need it. So just use the crush. That's no fault of the Jourdain barriers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

On uses may be handy for dosing instead of running up the crush. Some vets like testing in them others don't. Also would it be safer to lock to cows in it if you need to get to a calf or if there is a bull in a pen etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Have jourdain barriers here. Can't fault them at all other than they don't get much use.

In same boat as you Mondego. Was thinking might be handy to have in one pen for cows after calving so could bake up cow to inject or if checking on calf. Was talking to few lads that have them though and all of them seem to use the crush as opposed to locking barriers generally - also then if you have them have less feeding space too. So not sure either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Need to put in 3bays on the 2nd side of the feed passage, I was thinking a normal barrier without any divisions, my dad said to get ones with diagonal bars for heifers etc, however if the self locking ones are only 100 more I probably should go for them. With just a bar I'd fit about 8cows per Bay, how many with the self locking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

With cows you may or may not lose cow space per bay depending on cow size with heifers they would restrict feeding space by a couple of heifers, not an issue if feed is pushed in all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Timmaay wrote: »
    Need to put in 3bays on the 2nd side of the feed passage, I was thinking a normal barrier without any divisions, my dad said to get ones with diagonal bars for heifers etc, however if the self locking ones are only 100 more I probably should go for them. With just a bar I'd fit about 8cows per Bay, how many with the self locking?

Self locking barriers I have (Jourdain) have only 7 feed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Any dairy men on here with self locking barriers? Do ye use them much? Putting up a new shed here at the moment and considering putting them in but not sure if the amount of use they will get will justify the extra cost. I can see how part time suckler men would make good use of them but on a full time dairy operation, are they used enough??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

JOAT wrote: »
    Any dairy men on here with self locking barriers? Do ye use them much? Putting up a new shed here at the moment and considering putting them in but not sure if the amount of use they will get will justify the extra cost. I can see how part time suckler men would make good use of them but on a full time dairy operation, are they used enough??

A dairy neighbour had them in his shed and is after getting them replaced with standard barriers. He maintains you lose too many feed spaces with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

mycro2013 wrote: »
    A dairy neighbour had them in his shed and is after getting them replaced with standard barriers. He maintains you lose too many feed spaces with them.

You'll hardly get more then seven cows over 15 foot anyway, even though the diagonal have 11 slots, only useful for weanlings. I put in four locking and one hinged diagonal. In fairness the locking are a waste of time but I was getting the grant so put them in anyway. Wouldn't bother if I was doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

not sure why you would need them for dairy if you can handle them in the parlour or crush.

have 50 sucklers and have 1 locking barrier with 7 spaces. the rest are 9 space standards.

find it great for what i need and also very handy come dosign time, as i can lockign them in and work my way across, way faster then the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

We got them-never used them and I thought they would be so handy. Changing things around this year now so maybe we will start using them a bit more. We got the jourdain ones for the reason that you can release them individually and they are v sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

yellow50HX wrote: »
    not sure why you would need them for dairy if you can handle them in the parlour or crush.

have 50 sucklers and have 1 locking barrier with 7 spaces. the rest are 9 space standards.

find it great for what i need and also very handy come dosign time, as i can lockign them in and work my way across, way faster then the crush.
    Got talking to my local vet today for a few mins and asked him about them. He was saying that some suckler boys use them for testing and vaccinating heavily in calf cows instead of taking them to the crush but that he has only one dairy man that does it. Might price them at the ploughing next week and see but think I'll end up with the normal diagonal going by yer reports. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

JOAT wrote:
    Got talking to my local vet today for a few mins and asked him about them. He was saying that some suckler boys use them for testing and vaccinating heavily in calf cows instead of taking them to the crush but that he has only one dairy man that does it. Might price them at the ploughing next week and see but think I'll end up with the normal diagonal going by yer reports. Cheers

I have jourdan ones in but I never use them on milkers but I use them quite alot in the dry cow area at winter time for dosing and bolusing. I recommend them in areas outside of milking cubicles. Do all the milkers through a good crush.

Advertisement