Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion windows 10 security issue?

Options
  • 03-08-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Just got this laptop and it appears to only work when online with my personal email open. Not happy about this, it doesn't feel very secure.

Also 'office' only seems to work when online. Whole point of having a laptop is to be portable when no wifi etc?!

Any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

What do you mean by "only work"? You'll have to give a better description, because nobody else seems to be seeing what you're seeing.

Are you getting error messages? What are the error messages, and when do they occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

'Only work' Can be replaced with the words 'only operates'. We tried with the wifi off and could not use office, then we tried with the wifi on and it then operated but only with my email open.

It could of course just be that changing from old technology to a lot newer (our old PC is XP!!) is just totally different and unfamiliar, this is why I am asking for help from more experienced users.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Greystoner wrote: »
    'Only work' Can be replaced with the words 'only operates'. We tried with the wifi off and could not use office, then we tried with the wifi on and it then operated but only with my email open.

It could of course just be that changing from old technology to a lot newer (our old PC is XP!!) is just totally different and unfamiliar, this is why I am asking for help from more experienced users.

Thanks.

What only operated with your email open?

I am unable to do anything on the laptop UNLESS I am signed into my email. So basically if anyone else uses my laptop in the family/friends then they have full access to my email.

We bought 'office' as an extra and this only seems to work when the wifi is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Which version of office are you using? Sounds like the online version. You probably need to be signed in to your mail cause that's ms account linked to it.
    You can install and use a version of open office instead.

• Advertisement

Ah ha, well that would make sense if it is an online package that we were sold.

Is there a way to have the laptop running without having the email open then?

Our old PC was very different! I am feeling very old and such a technophobe right now. I went to school before schools had computers, so never learned anything!

It just means that say a friend or family wishes to use the 'office' that we have, then they can see my email. Is it easy enough to install the open office that you mentioned (at no extra cost)?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe you could link the online-office thing to another email account (with nothing private in it), and access your private email from another windows user account?

Or just use open/libre office

morgana wrote: »
    Which version of office are you using? Sounds like the online version. You probably need to be signed in to your mail cause that's ms account linked to it.

That's nonsense. Office 365 is tied to your e-mail account, and you do have to go online at least once a month or 6 weeks to keep your license activated, but there are quite literally millions of people using Office 365 quite happily on laptop all over the world.

Greystoner wrote: »
    I am unable to do anything on the laptop UNLESS I am signed into my email. So basically if anyone else uses my laptop in the family/friends then they have full access to my email.

So what happens if you launch File Explorer or your web browser when Mail isn't running? Do you get an error message? Does "nothing happen"?

What happens when you run Word if e-mail isn't open? Do you get an error message? Are you prompted for your usernme/password?

What version of Office are you running?

You're asking for help with a situation that other people aren't seeing - you'll have to be more specific about the symptoms of the problem if you want people to help - "it doesn't work" doesn't work!

Advertisement