Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollyhill Library.

Options
  • 03-08-2015 11:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

This new facility opened recently and looks very impressive.I have to question why they need to have a security guard standing directly in the doorway always though.It looks very off putting and can't be very conductive to drawing people in.I know theres a security guard in the Wilton branch but hes more low key and usually sits near the entrance inside.If they feel theres a security issue its worth pointing out that the credit union just across the road has no security guard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'll tell you why. The previous facility when it opened had the lift broken within days, dogs were deliberately sent in and some kids urinated in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Because of where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah, they're not putting it there to troll people. They have good enough reason to spend the money on security.
    I also don't understand the thinking of this being "off-putting", if you have no reason for the security guard to inhibit your afternoon why would it even be a concern?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah, they're not putting it there to troll people. They have good enough reason to spend the money on security.
    I also don't understand the thinking of this being "off-putting", if you have no reason for the security guard to inhibit your afternoon why would it even be a concern?

Well it makes you feel like you're entering a nightclub or late night bar rather than a library.I'm not saying they shouldn't have security,just can't see why the guy can't be in a more low key position rather than standing slap bang in the middle of the doorway.

I'm guessing it's because if he sat down behind a desk they could make a run on the place before he has time to react.
    I have to say I don't have any issues with bouncers either and never had any reason to, so I wouldn't have any hassle walking past them.

If I were a local parent I'd be happy enough to know that they were taking action on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's because if he sat down behind a desk they could make a run on the place before he has time to react.
    I have to say I don't have any issues with bouncers either and never had any reason to, so I wouldn't have any hassle walking past them.

If I were a local parent I'd be happy enough to know that they were taking action on the matter.

I know we're talking about Hollyhill but you make it sound like Baghdad.Make a run on the place,to do what?Steal books?Whos they,Atilla The Hun and his Mongol hordes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

darkdubh wrote: »
    I know we're talking about Hollyhill but you make it sound like Baghdad.Make a run on the place,to do what?Steal books?Whos they,Atilla The Hun and his Mongol hordes?

See my first post above. Unattended kids whose sole intent is to destroy anything new and useful to the community.

darkdubh wrote: »

No, what I mean is they could be in the door of the library itself before he has time to get up from his desk, it's the exact same reason you see bouncers outside the doors of their pubs/clubs, to stop entry entirely.

I grew up around there and I've seen the damage little (and big) scrotes can do in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

mcko wrote: »
    Because of where it is

/thread

Advertisement