Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD-SDI or IP?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a cctv system (8ch dvr + cameras + cabling) and installing myself at home. I've been browsing on and off for 2 years or so (Rome wasn't built in a day, so my father says anyhow) so I've come to the point where I just need to make a decision.

I started out looking at a 700TVL a system and then had my head turned by the resolution of hd-sdi. It looks unrivalled in terms of clarity; it has a smooth picture and the reviews seem decent.

But then I read about IP systems and funky NVRs and wonder about future compatibility of a hd-sdi system. Price isn't my first consideratiion, image quality, realtime and saved, is.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HD-SDI won't be around for much longer as TVI has taken over. IP does suffer from lag but IP is the way forward and any cabling in place will ensure ease of upgrades in the future. We do a lot of TVI stuff and find in really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

HD-SDI won't be around for much longer as TVI has taken over. IP does suffer from lag but IP is the way forward and any cabling in place will ensure ease of upgrades in the future. We do a lot of TVI stuff and find in really good.

Would agree, Tvi quality very good and can use existing. Rg59 or cat5. I've had issues with ip (generally down to camera/supplier) no issues wit TVI, just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

I just found this video on youtube, its an SDI system, to me it looks excellent.. (jump to 2:43..) the detail is what sells it to me.

Does the TVI (720p?) offer the same clarity? The license plate, patio stones, even the grass are all crystal clear.
    I'm just wondering about picking up a reg number or recognising a face without question with TVI?

From my limited understanding, youtubing TVI side-by-side with sdi, there is only one winner. Am i missing something?

Was thinking if I was to put in electric gates down the line, would sdi limit me from incorporating some form of home automation into a box-of-tricks where IP (or TVI?) might be easier to integrate? Maybe I'm dreaming...

Cheers for the advice lads...
    Much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

In my opinion SDI is slightly better than TVI. TVI comes in two resolutions 720p and 1080p. SDI is only 1080p so make sure you compare like for like.

SDI is as good as gone so you'd be crazy to install it now as in a few years it will be difficult to buy the gear if needed. TVI gear is universal and you're not restricted by manufacturers.

SDI is greatly affected by poor connections and inferior quality connectors. Cable distance is restricted to about 90 metres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Cheers for that - TVI certainly is cheaper - I'll look more at it..
    One question, TVI systems - can they record all 8 channels at 1080p?
    I've seen Main Stream/Sub Stream references in Hikvision specs and am wary of ending up with not-so-crystal-clear recordings (D1 resolution or lower)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement