Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The current Paddypower odds are as follows.

Quote:
    Footballer of the Year

David Moran 11/10
    Diarmuid Connolly 2/1
    Aidan O'Shea 3/1
    Bernard Brogan 15/2
    Jack McCaffrey 10/1
    James O'Donoghue 12/1
    Colm Cooper 16/1
    Cillian O'Connor 16/1
    Ciaran Kilkenny 16/1
    Lee Keegan 20/1
    Paul Flynn 40/1
    Paul Geaney 50/1
    Keith Higgins 50/1
    Michael D MacAuley 80/1
    Kieran Donaghy 100/1
    James McCarthy 100/1
    Cian O'Sullivan 100/1
    Philip McMahon 100/1
    I think you're right boom boom, the current list of candidates is definitely weighted in favour of those most likely to be contesting the final (i.e. Kerry are shorter odds than Dublin or Mayo purely because they're already there). How else could Colm Cooper 8th favourite for POTY at 16/1! He's even ahead of Ciaran Kilkenny at the minute (Kilkenny now at 20/1) when there is no comparison between how both have played and contributed this year - Gooch has done very little of note this year. He's actually the 3rd ranked Kerry player which is a bit of a joke to the rest of his teammates I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm in.

Fantastic player, and has been for years.

Would be great to see him win it after an amazing but ultimately unsuccessful performance for Kerry v Mayo in the All Ireland Final.

Always kept an extra eye on him on the Kerry team after having to mark him in a minor club game years ago. He seems to have lost a touch of pace in the last year or so but still very effective.

I was on him for 15 minutes before being switched, he scored a couple of points but destroyed me in open play (was only an average enough player myself). Just couldnt get close enough to him!

Consoled myself at the time thinking he was a couple of years older than myself - played the same club again under 16s later in the summer - and there he was playing midfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Always kept an extra eye on him on the Kerry team after having to mark him in a minor club game years ago. He seems to have lost a touch of pace in the last year or so but still very effective.

I was on him for 15 minutes before being switched, he scored a couple of points but destroyed me in open play (was only an average enough player myself). Just couldnt get close enough to him!

Consoled myself at the time thinking he was a couple of years older than myself - played the same club again under 16s later in the summer - and there he was playing midfield!

I know a guy who was marking him for McGrath Cup training. He said he began the match by doing a few hard runs from his position back to the furthest away corner and back! He said he lost him numerous times: no wonder he gets into those great positions with not a man near him!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Brogan seems to be disliked because he is hyped up so much/on so much media coverage but he really is a superb player.

Watch any game he plays and he is marked by 2 men and still manages to score- his balance is awesome and his ability to kick scores while falling over with lads hanging out of him is top class.

I know that sounds a bit over the top but I rate him phenomenally highly and don't understand all the derision he gets/ how people view Connolly as being better

I'm not denying that Brogan is excellent. His scores on Sunday were top class and he's just an out and out inside forward, something that is almost extinct in the modern game. My point is that he was far from faultless against Cork that day and to claim it was the best year from a forward in 20 years, especially given that he didn't play in an All Ireland Final that year.. Well it's an odd claim to make.

The reason people tout Connolly as being better I assume is that he is a more all round skilled player. Connolly is a better ball carrier, a better fielder and a better kicker from long distance. Now that's not to underrate Brogan, he's an extraordinary forward and well up there with the best in the last 5 or 10 years. If Connolly had the attitude and temperament of Brogan, I think he'd be an all time great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm not denying that Brogan is excellent. His scores on Sunday were top class and he's just an out and out inside forward, something that is almost extinct in the modern game. My point is that he was far from faultless against Cork that day and to claim it was the best year from a forward in 20 years, especially given that he didn't play in an All Ireland Final that year.. Well it's an odd claim to make.

The reason people tout Connolly as being better I assume is that he is a more all round skilled player. Connolly is a better ball carrier, a better fielder and a better kicker from long distance. Now that's not to underrate Brogan, he's an extraordinary forward and well up there with the best in the last 5 or 10 years. If Connolly had the attitude and temperament of Brogan, I think he'd be an all time great.

That's the problem though....he doesn't. And he'll be 30 in a couple of years, so if he doesn't have it now, he probably never will. A players mental make up is just as important as the physical skills imo. Having the will to dominate & being able to then impose your will on a game, is something that the truly great players can do. I've seen Connolly do that twice....the 2011 quarter final against Tyrone and the club final last year. That's been it. There are often great flashes of brilliance in games, but consistently performing to his best abilities in the big games, on the big days...is just not something that he does reliably. (And don't even get me fcuking started on the "temper" part of his temperament. :mad: )

So if a gun was put to my head and, I was told I could only pick one to take into an All Ireland final.... with all things being equal and both players fit and healthy...I'd be picking Berno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

While we are here is Diarmuid O Connor front runner for YPOTY ?

A title that has already been in the household twice.

Or am I forgetting someone from Kerry, Murphy perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's the problem though....he doesn't. And he'll be 30 in a couple of years, so if he doesn't have it now, he probably never will. A players mental make up is just as important as the physical skills imo. Having the will to dominate & being able to then impose your will on a game, is something that the truly great players can do. I've seen Connolly do that twice....the 2011 quarter final against Tyrone and the club final last year. That's been it. There are often great flashes of brilliance in games, but consistently performing to his best abilities in the big games, on the big days...is just not something that he does reliably. (And don't even get me fcuking started on the "temper" part of his temperament. :mad: )

So if a gun was put to my head and, I was told I could only pick one to take into an All Ireland final.... with all things being equal and both players fit and healthy...I'd be picking Berno.

I agree- I've just seen Connolly marked out of/knocked off his game on too many occasions.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a Kerry fan so I have no reason to praise Brogan but it's almost as if he has so much of a profile now that it is fashionable to underrate him or talk him down.

As I said before- what I always find entertaining is that he is usually being fouled or knocked off balance when kicking the ball and still manages to land a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Nah we don't have any young players and haven't had in the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Murphy is 24ish now and at that, probably our youngest player.

Diarmuid is nailed on for YPOTY. No other candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

DDC1990 wrote: »

How old is Fenton ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Tom Parsons, in the running, but yet to kick a football all year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Footballer of the Year often goes to the winners. So if Kerry win David Moran, Mayo O'Shea and maybe McCaffrey if the Dubs win.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 oneils23

Aidan O'Shea has been the stand out footballer this year imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Footballer of the Year often goes to the winners. So if Kerry win David Moran, Mayo O'Shea and maybe McCaffrey if the Dubs win.

There shouldn't be any doubt. McCaffrey has easily been our best player all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

corny wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any doubt. McCaffrey has easily been our best player all year.

Connolly is 2/1
    Brogan is 13/2
    McCaffrey is 10/1

I'm be getting down to PaddyPower if i was you with the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Connolly is 2/1
    Brogan is 13/2
    McCaffrey is 10/1

I'm be getting down to PaddyPower if i was you with the attitude.

The betting is normally skewed in favour of the lads who pop the ball over the bar. I'll hold onto my money but McCaffrey has been Dublins best player to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Murphy is 24ish now and at that, probably our youngest player.

I'm sure young Mark Bradley from Tyrone would be considered a serious candidate by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He won't win it but Tom Parsons is having wn excellent campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Between him and Bradley. DOC should be nailed on IMO, he's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Tom Parsons, in the running, but yet to kick a football all year :)

Didnt stop MDMA winning it the year he got it. Anyone want to guess on how many times he has actually kicked the ball total in championship matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Didnt stop MDMA winning it the year he got it. Anyone want to guess on how many times he has actually kicked the ball total in championship matches?

Should have been redubbed "player of the year" as opposed FOTY that year.

MDMA solo running the ball is a depressing sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

1. Watching a player with limited natural ability, playing in a position and in a manner that maximizes his effectiveness, in an attacking and creative way. Even if it's not all that pretty to watch at times.

2. Watching one of the games great players, reduced to being just another one of 13 players in a blanket defense.....miles and miles away from where he could dazzle the world with his brilliance, if he was just let.

I know which one I'd find the more depressing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

1. Watching a player with limited natural ability, playing in a position and in a manner that maximizes his effectiveness, in an attacking and creative way. Even if it's not all that pretty to watch at times.

2. Watching one of the games great players, reduced to being just another one of 13 players in a blanket defense.....miles and miles away from where he could dazzle the world with his brilliance, if he was just let.

I know which one I'd find the more depressing to watch.

Which is the bigger "ruination" of the game though. Accommodating an athlete with otherwise limited football ability into a system where he would still look awkward, or dropping a player with genuine talent back into a system where he can affect the game and still allow his natural football ability to influence the game, whether it be on the counter attack, or from frees?

I know which one I'd find a lot more commendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I stand by my opinion that Kilkenny should get this if Dublin win and he has a great final. He was very influential today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

D9Male wrote: »
    I stand by my opinion that Kilkenny should get this if Dublin win and he has a great final. He was very influential today

Thought he looked very average today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

D9Male wrote: »

Behave yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

He seems to be a very inconsistent player. In both games against Mayo, he was excellent in the first halves and hardly touched the ball in the second halves.

I'd say it's completely up to the final. If someone does wreck and leads to a win, they'll probably get it. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Prob David Moran as I feel to get POTY you should have a medal with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

liam7831 wrote: »
    Prob David Moran as I feel to get POTY you should have a medal with you

Have Kerry won the All Ireland yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Brian Fenton, keeping a recent POTY out of the Dublin team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I know eff all about betting, but are 2/1 and 11/10 not virtually the same thing?

Bad form to be having Philly Mc so low down near the bottom. :p

When you consider that before the semi-final, everyone was talking about Aidan O'Shea for POTY, he gets marked for nearly 150 minutes by McMahon and only gets one point while Philly scores 1-2, you would think that some minds would be changed. The false accusation of headbutting won't help him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Should be McCaffrey or Moran though, if Dublin win and Brogan gets any kind of tally, they'll give it to him. It's what they do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ixus wrote: »
    Should be McCaffrey or Moran though, if Dublin win and Brogan gets any kind of tally, they'll give it to him. It's what they do..

Interesting one after today, def no shoe in if Dublin win it. Brogans really stepped up the last few games however. If he has a decent final he'll deserve it. His overall impact has been greater than McCAffreys so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Basically A O'Shea and Connolly are now out of the reckoning.

David Moran if Kerry win.

Brogan or McCaffrey if Dublin win.

Is that pretty much it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

David Moran- even, IF,Dublin win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No one deserves it so far. Fenton & BB from the Dubs, Moran and Walsh from kerry. Tbh though, whoever gets it will be lucky.. A serious lack of candidates..

Basically A O'Shea and Connolly are now out of the reckoning.

David Moran if Kerry win.

Brogan or McCaffrey if Dublin win.

Is that pretty much it ?

I think for Dublin the fact that Brogan won it already increases McCaffrey's chances significantly - McCaffrey is available at 7/1 which might be worth a punt (if you think Dublin will win the final)

THFC wrote: »
    No one deserves it so far. Fenton & BB from the Dubs, Moran and Walsh from kerry. Tbh though, whoever gets it will be lucky.. A serious lack of candidates..

The game is becoming less and less about moments of individual brilliance and more about team work ethic.

Any guy that stands out in one game is double marked for the next game and struggles to make an outstanding impact.

Godge wrote: »
    Brian Fenton, keeping a recent POTY out of the Dublin team.

He's overage for YPOTY

Paddpower has closed the book on YPOTY - Diarmuid O'Connor a dead cert.

The fact that there are so few serious contenders for YPOTY says a world about the age players are breaking through for the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Afair Moran didn't play well against Tyrone and was black carded earlyin the 1st Cork match. I don't think he's been particularly influential this year. Overall I think Bernard Brogan has been the most influential player this year but given theres no outstanding player will probably depends on final. Id still go for BB at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If Dublin win the final, Kilkenny is nailed on for ypty.

Probably a Dublin player to win senior award.

But same goes for Kerry. Johnnie Buckley has been outstanding but not sure is he under 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Dublin win the final, Kilkenny is nailed on for ypty.

Probably a Dublin player to win senior award.

But same goes for Kerry. Johnnie Buckley has been outstanding but not sure is he under 23?

Have to be U-21, not U-23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

liam7831 wrote: »
    Thought he looked very average today

D:

He shouldnt win poty but what game were you watching? He was great yesterday. Scored 3 or 4 from play scoring off both feet, brilliant ball winning and ball carrying ability throughout the game. Along with Andrews he carried the forward line for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The game is becoming less and less about moments of individual brilliance and more about team work ethic.

Any guy that stands out in one game is double marked for the next game and struggles to make an outstanding impact.

And that's why Donnacha Walsh shod win it, his consistent work is outstanding

And that's why Donnacha Walsh shod win it, his consistent work is outstanding

I'll get t-shirts made up. Similarly Bernard Brogan has performed in every game this year. Not as spectacular as other years but a massive contribution.

I think I might die of pleasure seizures if Donnchadh Walsh got FOTY.

Donnacha Walsh the best footballer in the Country. When pigs fly.

Bernard is having a brilliant year, when he gets any sort of decent ball he delivers. A ridiculously good player over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭King Cantona

it's got to be BB if Dublin win.

He's been Dublin's most consistently influential player - yesterday he scored 1-1 and assisted a goal. If Philly mcmahon kept his head in the first half that would have been 2 goal assists and 1-1 in an AI semi final.

Connolly, McCaffrey and Kilkenny are close behind - but I feel they'd need to be head and shoulders above a BB display in the final to overtake him at this stage. (If Dublin win)

• Advertisement

Bernards been good but not great IMO, I can see him having a big final and becoming a strong contender though. There aren't really any standout players this season.

Advertisement