Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd give it to Berno in a heart beat. I think he has scored something like 6-16 this year & he's only a handful of points away from being this years leading scorer. All of his scores have coming from play too, which is a truly remarkable statistic. And that's not even getting into the scores he has set up for others, which stays under the radar a lot.

However, I still think its Morans to lose. If BB knocks in a couple of goals in the final and Dublin win, he'll get it. But if he is kept quiet enough, it will go to Moran. Barring a Man of the Match performance from BB, I think that the Dublin vote could wind up being split with Berno, Kilkenny, McCaffrey and Connolly all getting votes. Each of them won't get enough votes to win it outright, but they'll get enough votes to stop one of the others from winning it, which will open the door for Moran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

harpsman wrote: »
    Afair Moran didn't play well against Tyrone and was black carded earlyin the 1st Cork match. I don't think he's been particularly influential this year. Overall I think Bernard Brogan has been the most influential player this year but given theres no outstanding player will probably depends on final. Id still go for BB at this stage.

Moran was superb in the Tyrone game, he was carrying a knock and we were lucky to get 55 minutes out of him.

When he came off,nobody on the pitch had touched the ball more times than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd give it to Berno in a heart beat. I think he has scored something like 6-16 this year & he's only a handful of points away from being this years leading scorer. All of his scores have coming from play too, which is a truly remarkable statistic. And that's not even getting into the scores he has set up for others, which stays under the radar a lot.

However, I still think its Morans to lose. If BB knocks in a couple of goals in the final and Dublin win, he'll get it. But if he is kept quiet enough, it will go to Moran. Barring a Man of the Match performance from BB, I think that the Dublin vote could wind up being split with Berno, Kilkenny, McCaffrey and Connolly all getting votes. Each of them won't get enough votes to win it outright, but they'll get enough votes to stop one of the others from winning it, which will open the door for Moran.

For POTY 3 players are selected by a panel (not sure who it's made up of) and then the actual players vote on just those three for POTY when voting for the All-Stars, so there is no possibility of the Dublin vote being split all that much. I think the big thing that will come against Brogan is the fact that he won it before. It's almost impossible not to see Brogan and Moran being nominated given their performances to date, unless they have utter stinkers of finals and the remaining spot will be hugely dependent on the final.

At the moment I think McCaffrey is in pole position to be nominated for the third spot, but his place is under a lot more threat than Moran or Brogan's. A quiet final and he could very easily miss out on a nomination.

Really doubt Connolly is going to get a nomination for POTY after the whole debacle with the red card - he would need to have a massive MOTM influence on the final and I just can't see that happening.

When ;) If Kerry win I could see Donnacha Walsh, Johnny Buckley, Paul Murphy, Cooper or James O'Donoghue taking the third nomination but it will take an almighty performance from these and Moran to have a stinker for Moran not to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Moran was superb in the Tyrone game, he was carrying a knock and we were lucky to get 55 minutes out of him.

When he came off,nobody on the pitch had touched the ball more times than him.

Also after Moran went off the pitch was the time when Tyrone came back into the game again, especially in terms of having a shortish period where they got on top in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

I think Jack Mc Caffrey has probably put himself out ahead for footballer of the year. And I think Brian Fenton has probably put himself in line for an All Star in front of David Moran. He should probably get YPOTY as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭paintitwhite

Philly McMahon is my POTY. IMO Fenton will get an All-Star but Diarmuid O'Connor may narrowly miss out on one. I think as a result O'Connor will be YPOTY.

Philly McMahon is my POTY. IMO Fenton will get an All-Star but Diarmuid O'Connor may narrowly miss out on one. I think as a result O'Connor will be YPOTY.

Surely if Fenton gets an All-Star they can't give O'Connor YPOTY over him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Philly mcmahon probably should be up there but some of his 'tackles' over the last few games ( not least an eye gouge on donaghy yesterday ) will count against him.

Actually, no that I remember, someone posted recently that it was U-21 to qulaify for YPOTY, is this true??

If so then Fenton will get his AS and O'Connor will get YPOTY. Mark Bradley probably just behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Moran has no chance after that performance yesterday. Embarrassingly shít.

A shame cause he's a great footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

cjmc wrote:
    Philly mcmahon probably should be up there but some of his 'tackles' over the last few games ( not least an eye gouge on donaghy yesterday ) will count against him.

Yep that's how I see it too. Johnny Cooper might fall into that bracket too wrt awards. If it's close these things will count against them and rightly so.

Thought Moran didn't do himself any favours yesterday.
    Jack mccaffery performed in most games, plus he's easy to like, some of the purists love him well educated, fluent Irish speaker etc these things seem to count, I'm not counting them, but I think they count.

He was some man all the same yesterday having been on a drip earlier.

The Kerry lads were aware of his threat all the same, got sandwiched and went off with bulge over his eye. He improved so much this year, the extra bulk allowed him to take a tackle and knock a few out of the way .

It's between Berno and Philly and Jack Mc for me. I know, I know...rocket scientist is my middle name. I'd probably give it to BB....this is probably his last chance at winning it. Jack Flash has donkeys years left to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I though BB won it a few years back?

He did, I meant this is probably his last chance to win it, given his age and history of niggley injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭paintitwhite

JB81 wrote: »
    Surely if Fenton gets an All-Star they can't give O'Connor YPOTY over him?

It routinely happens because its an easy way to reward an extra guy. You'd have to go back to Aidan Walsh in 2010 to find someone who won YPOTY and an All-Star in the same year. In relation to your point in 2002 Ronan Clarke and Colm Cooper were both nominated for an All Star and YPOTY in the same line. Clarke won YPOTY with Gooch claiming an All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭King Cantona

There's no stand out candidate. BB can feel a little hard done by because one big game in the final and it was his, but conditions just weren't in favour of forwards, he got poor ball in, and any good passes he got he didn't handle very well.

Poor championship overall reflective of no outstanding candidate. I'd give it to mccaffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There's no stand out candidate. BB can feel a little hard done by because one big game in the final and it was his, but conditions just weren't in favour of forwards, he got poor ball in, and any good passes he got he didn't handle very well.

Poor championship overall reflective of no outstanding candidate. I'd give it to mccaffrey.

Hard to argue alright with the points made on TSG last night that this was a year for teamwork and systems over individual brilliance. It's hard to pick any one player who really stood out this year. McCaffrey is getting all the plaudits probably because he stands out more due to his fantastic speed but was he really that much better than the other Dublin defenders - I think an argument could be made for any one of O'Carroll, O'Sullivan or McCarthy either and as has been said Philly could be the favourite but his indiscretions will probably go against him.
    On the Kerry side it's hard to pick any standout candidate really - Moran did himself out of consideration yesterday.
    Moving down to the semi finalists and Mayo's best was probably AOS but he didn't prove himself when it mattered albeit down to the fact he was sometimes treble marked! Tyrone's best was Mattie Donnelly but he didn't do enough to warrant consideration.
    It's hard to think of anyone who really shone outside of these so chances are it will go to a defender on the AI winning team and the momentum seems to be with McCaffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's between Berno and Philly and Jack Mc for me. I know, I know...rocket scientist is my middle name. I'd probably give it to BB....this is probably his last chance at winning it. Jack Flash has donkeys years left to win it.
    I don't see how Bernard could win it, I think he's been overrated all year and he was terrible yesterday. He's had a good year bar yesterday but not near poty territory for me.

Been a severe lack of standout players but I'd give it to Jack Mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It's got to be Jack McCaffrey for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Philly McMahon for me. Jack McCaffrey a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Jack McCaffrey for me....he's just gone from strength to strength this season and played an absolute blinder yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Still Donnacha Walsh for me. When everyone else was off form Walsh was getting on a mountain of ball. Unfortunate that the lads inside weren't moving at all.

Enright should also be considered. Won every man to man matchup all year. Had Brogan in his pocket.

Winning team always win it though so McCaffrey should get it. Brogan and McMahon would be considerations. I'd still pick McCaffrey over Philly just on football, but the gouging and general on field unpleasantness widens the gap for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Jack McCaffrey for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Moran has no chance after that performance yesterday. Embarrassingly shít.

A shame cause he's a great footballer.

He had a pretty average year to be honest. Especially compared to last year when he was fantastic. Outshone by Maher this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Is McCaffrey eligible for YPOTY as well? They said he was 21 on TSG game last night I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

No player had a strong claim to it as in previous years.

For Mayo, Lee Keegan was probably their best player followed by AOS, although AOS contributed less and less as the championship went on.

For Dublin, Cian O'Sullivan was critical to them, even if he was redundant most of the time. Jack McCaffrey was consistent. Paddy Andrews had one or two brilliant games.

For Kerry, hard to think of any consistent players. I thought JOD had a poor year, Gooch had only occasional flashes, Moran had an average year. Walsh gets through a mountain of work as people say, but he lacks the marquee forward touch of scoring consistently. Generally marquee forwards win footballer of the year.

No-one really stood out for Tyrone, a good solid team effort though.

McCaffrey is a fair enough pick. He was solid if not spectacular. Lee Keegan would be second behind him for me.

DDC1990 wrote:
    Enright should also be considered. Won every man to man matchup all year. Had Brogan in his pocket.

He didn't really. Not much ball popped into Brogan was decent. Mostly Brogan got out in front of him only to spill a wet slippery ball. That was our problem the ball was rushed in. Alan Brogan on earlier would have produced more. As soon as he came on B Brogan got out ahead of enright again for a one two that Alan then scored.

I don't remember a block, one good flick out of his hand . He didn't give away any frees which was good, but it was a rubbish day for forwards, did anyone hang onto the ball.

Most of the best performances yesterday were from defenders.

I think enright was super against Cork and Tyrone but there's no way the plan was to let Brogan out ahead of him like that, the rain was his friend. Brogan had two really bad wides where he'd beaten enright. He kicked one from paly and popped over a handy free he scored 1/6 th of Dublins scores given the conditions that's significant.

The wet pitch had all the forwards in its pockets. A dry day and Brogan out in front of you like he was yesterday and it would tell a different tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It is between Philly McMahon and Bernard Brogan for me.

Scoring 1-2 off Aidan O'Shea (0-1) who was being lauded for POTY was the outstanding performance of the championship.

6-20 from play, did anyone come near that?

As for the All-Stars, Dublin won all four trophies this season, beating all the top teams at some stage this year when it counted (Kerry, Mayo, Cork, Monaghan, Donegal) except Tyrone (draw in the league). It really should be about which 15 Dublin footballers are picked.

I don't see how Bernard could win it, I think he's been overrated all year and he was terrible yesterday. He's had a good year bar yesterday but not near poty territory for me.

What? :eek:

He scored 6-19 from play. He didn't come close to scoring that much when he was Footballer of the Year in 2010. He only needed to score 5 pts in the All Ireland final, to become the years top scorer. And that's not even touching on his setting up chances for others, such as the Philly Mc goal in the Mayo replay. But he is over rated? Jesus ! Before the AI final, the bookies had him in the top 3 to win it, and I've met very few poor bookies. :P

I'd still give it to Philly though, just to piss everyone off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

He scored 6-19 from play. He didn't come close to scoring that much when he was Footballer of the Year in 2010. He only needed to score 5 pts in the All Ireland final, to become the years top scorer. And that's not even touching on his setting up chances for others, such as the Philly Mc goal in the Mayo replay. But he is over rated? Jesus ! Before the AI final, the bookies had him in the top 3 to win it, and I've met very few poor bookies. :P

Yeah Bernard had a super year. In previous seasons he's come good in the latter stages (2013 for example) but this year he's been at it all season.

Most of it was against awful teams. In the 3 big games he wasn't great, although he popped up for a big goal v Mayo. He may have scored more but 2010 Bernard is far, far superior to this one. Not even comparable.

Again I'm not saying he was bad, I just wouldn't consider him for poty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Most of it was against awful teams. In the 3 big games he wasn't great, although he popped up for a big goal v Mayo. He may have scored more but 2010 Bernard is far, far superior to this one. Not even comparable.

Again I'm not saying he was bad, I just wouldn't consider him for poty.

Then how did Aidan O'Shea ever figure in anyone's thoughts. One big day out against Sligo. Sligo, remember that?

Godge wrote:
    Then how did Aidan O'Shea ever figure in anyone's thoughts. One big day out against Sligo. Sligo, remember that?
    Good against Donegal too, created and scored.
    Completely unsupported against Dublin.

TBH their isn't a standout performer this year. It will be a contested award, nobody has a very strong case. I don't really have an opinion on who gets its from most of the named players here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

For consistency and quality of performances all year I would give it to Fenton.

Or Jack Mac.

Godge wrote: »

And Donegal. I didn't mention AOS either, he wouldn't even make my all star team.

Bernard had 2 average semis and a very bad final. He was scoring for fun before that in what was basically a pile of challenge matches. Jack McCaffrey all day for poty, after that I'd have McMahon, Rory, Kilkenny etc. I think BBs season has been grossly overrated and I really like him as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I've given up on predicting this thing side MDMA won it in 2013. Connolly was the best footballer last year and JOD won it.

I'd say it'll be a toss up between McCaffrey and Kilkenny tbh.

I would have picked Moran but he went missing in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Godge wrote: »

You obviously missed the Donegal game then, good job for Dublin that Jim Gavin didnt and thus preceeded to have him double and at time trippled marked which was the main reason Dublin won.

Too much is made of AOS in the Donegal game. Remember that when he scored that goal Neil McGee had cracked ribs! He didn't do a whole lot in the second half of that game so I don't think we should be getting carried away with a lad performing well when his marker is in severe pain.

And Donegal. I didn't mention AOS either, he wouldn't even make my all star team.

Bernard had 2 average semis and a very bad final. He was scoring for fun before that in what was basically a pile of challenge matches. Jack McCaffrey all day for poty, after that I'd have McMahon, Rory, Kilkenny etc. I think BBs season has been grossly overrated and I really like him as a player.

The voters are only going to remember BB scoring one goal and setting up Philly for the second, all within the space of 90 seconds. They aren't going to take the game in its entirety. Fair or unfair, right or wrong that's how these things work. That's what won him Man of The Match after the 2013 final...two minutes of play, when two pivotal goals were scored. If you take the other 68 minutes of the game, where Ger Cafferky had him pretty well shackled, he wouldn't have gotten it. It's those kind of moments that win you awards like these, or put you in the running for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

glued wrote: »
    I've given up on predicting this thing side MDMA won it in 2013. Connolly was the best footballer last year and JOD won it.

I'd say it'll be a toss up between McCaffrey and Kilkenny tbh.

I would have picked Moran but he went missing in the final.

Moran hasn't even been the best Kerry midfielder this year let alone footballer of the year.

• Advertisement

Moran's a fancy player with a lot of tools but he faded a bit later on on the year. Maher is more of a bread and butter midfielder, like our Bastick, but he had a better season. Another guy who can be a bit underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wouldnt be shocked if they chose someone outside Dublin or kerry this year .

cjmc wrote: »
    I wouldnt be shocked if they chose someone outside Dublin or kerry this year .

I'd be shocked if it was a player from outside Dublin that won it this year.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Too much is made of AOS in the Donegal game. Remember that when he scored that goal Neil McGee had cracked ribs! He didn't do a whole lot in the second half of that game so I don't think we should be getting carried away with a lad performing well when his marker is in severe pain.

His marker?? There was more than one marking him, how else would you explain Jason Doherty and Kevin McLaughlin scoring 5 from play and the entire Donegal team only sscoring three. Neil McGee might have had cracke ribs but it didnt stop him from fouling O'Shea before the ball came in, when he caught it and again as he was striking it.

I agree that AOS would be fortunate to make the TOTY/All stars but some of the stuff being posted here you would think the lad was completely useless, that along with the claim that he always goes missing in big games is utter rubbish tbh. A converted midfielder that caused so much havoc the oppositioon decided to flood their FB line and his own team resorted to lob any sort of service in to him at all costs. Not a single team in teh country would not have AOS in there team and that is a fact!

danganabu wrote: »
    His marker?? There was more than one marking him, how else would you explain Jason Doherty and Kevin McLaughlin scoring 5 from play and the entire Donegal team only sscoring three. Neil McGee might have had cracke ribs but it didnt stop him from fouling O'Shea before the ball came in, when he caught it and again as he was striking it.

I agree that AOS would be fortunate to make the TOTY/All stars but some of the stuff being posted here you would think the lad was completely useless, that along with the claim that he always goes missing in big games is utter rubbish tbh. A converted midfielder that caused so much havoc the oppositioon decided to flood their FB line and his own team resorted to lob any sort of service in to him at all costs. Not a single team in teh country would not have AOS in there team and that is a fact!

I'm not sure why you quoted my post to have a go at those saying he was useless? All I pointed out was that he was being marked by a lad in severe pain so we shouldn't go overboard on his performance that day. I was there that day - he had a good first half but until Neil was injured the battle was a good one. He's had a good year no doubt and will probably make the All Star team but he certainly isn't in the running for POTY in my view.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post to have a go at those saying he was useless? All I pointed out was that he was being marked by a lad in severe pain so we shouldn't go overboard on his performance that day. I was there that day - he had a good first half but until Neil was injured the battle was a good one. He's had a good year no doubt and will probably make the All Star team but he certainly isn't in the running for POTY in my view.

Wasn't personal mate just yours was the last one, there has been a running theme here and in a few other threads since Sunday running down AOS which I find quite bizzare, I also agree he is not a contender for POTY the three contenders for me are Bernard Brogan, Jack McCaffery and Ciaran Kilkenny - Philly McMahan bloted his own copy book.

Brogan has won it before and the other two are very young so may Rory O'Carroll or Cian O'Sullivan could be an outside bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Wouldn't be the first time O'Shea got a soft All Star. This year he's in the running because

- He was double marked and couldn't overcome it.
    - Mayo couldn't pass the ball properly
    - He allowed the Dublin runners change the game by being unable to track them
    - He scored a goal against Donegal.

Thats all it takes when you're AOS.

Spot on!

corny wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time O'Shea got a soft All Star. This year he's in the running because

- He was double marked and couldn't overcome it.
    - Mayo couldn't pass the ball properly
    - He allowed the Dublin runners change the game by being unable to track them
    - He scored a goal against Donegal.

Thats all it takes when you're AOS.

Is that you Philly??

Wednesday and you're still drunk, jaysus you're getting the most of this AI, fair play ;)

Philly doesn't drink. :D

Who here called Aidan O'Shea useless? These kind of discussions go nowhere, if people are paraphrasing and putting words in peoples mouth. The All Star Awards go to very good players. The Footballer of The Year award goes to a great player. Or a player who was great in a specific year, if we want to be pedantic about it.

The great players are able to influence the biggest games, despite the obstacles put in their way. (Which in MDMA's case, is a complete lack of any natural footballing talent whatsoever. :p ) Just because you think Player X does not have as good a history at doing that, as Player Y, doesn't mean that you think that Player X is useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement