Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Moran's a fancy player with a lot of tools but he faded a bit later on on the year. Maher is more of a bread and butter midfielder, like our Bastick, but he had a better season. Another guy who can be a bit underrated.

And Seamus O Shea all great lads, won't win many awards, all underestimated in favour of more flashy partners, but mostly show up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

danganabu wrote: »
    Wasn't personal mate just yours was the last one, there has been a running theme here and in a few other threads since Sunday running down AOS which I find quite bizzare,

Fair enough but my post wasn't even close to running down AOS, it was merely stating that his performance against Donegal was overhyped and gave some reasons why I felt so. I see very little in this thread running down AOS tbh, remember this is a thread about POTY and all I see in relation to AOS here are reasons given why he is not a contender. No need to get too defensive about those.
    As I said earlier in the thread, for me the likely winner is probably one of the Dublin defenders with McCaffrey getting most recognition. BB has a chance given it's usually a forward. Personally I think Cian O'Sullivan would be a popular choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Fair enough but my post wasn't even close to running down AOS, it was merely stating that his performance against Donegal was overhyped and gave some reasons why I felt so. I see very little in this thread running down AOS tbh, remember this is a thread about POTY and all I see in relation to AOS here are reasons given why he is not a contender. No need to get too defensive about those.
    As I said earlier in the thread, for me the likely winner is probably one of the Dublin defenders with McCaffrey getting most recognition. BB has a chance given it's usually a forward. Personally I think Cian O'Sullivan would be a popular choice.

Not getting defensive at all, or at least didnt mean to come across that way, I have no affiliation with Mayo what so ever.

Maybe it wasn't on this thread but there have definitly been some OTT comments on AOS caliming that he was merely a media darling and that he goes missing in every big game he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

glued wrote: »
    I've given up on predicting this thing side MDMA won it in 2013. Connolly was the best footballer last year and JOD won it.

I'd say it'll be a toss up between McCaffrey and Kilkenny tbh.

I would have picked Moran but he went missing in the final.

JOD was brilliant right throughout last year and was unquestionably FOTY. I have yet to hear of somebody that disagreed with him getting the award until now.

This year is less clear. It will surely go to one of the Dublin backs, mccaffery or Sullivan possibly. I'd have McMahon right up there too but he has been involved in some unsavoury incidents that may work against him. He seems to have a nasty streak which is a pity as he doesn't need to get involved in these things. BB's scoring record on paper is really impressive, but less so when you consider most of the scores were racked up during the procession of turkey shoots that Dublin enjoy during the Leinster championship each year. So it's one of mccaffery or o Sullivan for me, or Kilkenny if they go for a forward. O sullivans performance in the final tips it for me, but I think they'll give it to mccaffery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If people discount Bernard Brogan's scores as they come against piss poor opposition in Leinster, then surely people must do the same for Aidan O'Shea's Connaught games before the quarter final stages? The likes of London, New York, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon etc etc....well....they're not exactly Barcelona or Bayern Munich are they? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If people discount Bernard Brogan's scores as they come against piss poor opposition in Leinster, then surely people must do the same for Aidan O'Shea's Connaught games before the quarter final stages? The likes of London, New York, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon etc etc....well....they're not exactly Barcelona or Bayern Munich are they? :rolleyes:

You're right.Their GAA teams are absolutely sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Nobody is discounting them, but performances in the semi-final and final count most towards POTY. The player that steps up at that stage and has a major impact on the destination of the cup usually wins it unless they have been absolutely exceptional prior to that.

It's hard to judge form in the provinces as there are so many mismatches and hammerings. Dublin usually have a total cakewalk up until the semi, racking up huge scores against poor opposition. None of this is dublins fault of course. Just not sure BB did enough in the semi's and final to deserve POTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Nobody is disputing the quality of the opposition that Aidan O Shea has scored against pre the quarters and you won't hear too many contending that he's a contender for POTY.

However Bernard Brogan's name is been mentioned as a contender for POTY with some merit so it is only right to make an assessment of the quality of the opposition he scored against in Leinster when making a judgement of his candidacy Without doubt the standard of opposition in Leinster is quite poor and is a factor in his accrual of large scores from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Agree 100%, and that's why I wouldn't consider either for foty.

• Advertisement

Going into the AI final, BB & Moran were favourites with the bookies & most of the pundits. If the Leinster turkey shoots got BB on the list in the first place, I think it was the goal he scored in the replay & the one he created for Philly McMahon, that separated him from the pack, heading into the final. The final meant that the chasing pack (McCaffrey, Kilkenny, O'Sullivan...even.. *gasp* Philly etc etc) have had a chance narrow the gap. But if BB does wind up winning it, it won't be for the turkey shoot scores, it will be for those 2 goals in the replay imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

There has been no stand out player this year.BB or AOS should not get it as the bulk of their scores were against mediocre opposition. I thought Paddy Andrews had a better championship then BB as he contributed more from open play. Cian O'Sullivan should be in the reckoning as a lot of his contribution is off the ball harassing and chasing opposing players and he has a massive work rate. Ultimately I would give it to Jack McCaffrey. If Philly didn't get involve in those negative incidents I would see him as been the clear choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

+1 Philly McMahon was the standout player at the business end. . Schooled AOS and Cooper in consecutive games. There's a like ability factor involved when these things are put out to a vote. .Philly hasn't a hope. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

It can only be Philly McMahon for POTY. No contest. If he gets banned for Donaghy incident so be it, but he was outstanding in both the semi-final and final.

Philly making a sudden late change from behind. Bleedin deadly !

When is this announced btw? It's not for at least another month, isn't it? No idea why they always leave this & the All Stars until so late in the year. By the time the winners are announced, people have forgotten about half the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fair play to Philly McMahon,he has done very well for himself in spite of facing much adversity in his life.He is a wonderful advocate and inspiration for the people of Ballymun.Hopefully we'll be talking less about any on field controversies into the future.He would be worthy POTY save for same controversies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Is this McMahon the same player who was marking the big Mayo lad in the semi final? I've been told that he said some disgusting stuff to the Mayo player and the Mayo player didn't take kindly to it. I can't repeat what I was told that McMahon said but it was really low. Has anyone else heard this, any truth in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

If the award was purely on footballing matters Philly would be a shoe-in TBH. Unfortunately that's unlikely to be the case. Not saying that Philly hasn't brought some of that on himself, though he's far from the serial killer he been painted as (and if he's unworthy then AOS's antics around the 'headbutt' should also rule him out)

In a way I'm in two minds on this one. On the one hand I want the award to go to the most influential player when it mattered, and Philly at times was the difference to the Dublin of a few years ago that would have folded. On the other I do get why other things would sit in peoples mind and likeability would be a factor, and that counts very much against Philly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I'd love to see Philly win it, tinternet would break😀

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I'd love to see Philly win it, tinternet would break😀

Head butting, eye gouging, apparantly giving serious personal abuse to a player. Why would you be happy that someone like that won it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Love also to see Philly win it. Great player been a great year for him.

noway12345 wrote: »
    Is this McMahon the same player who was marking the big Mayo lad in the semi final? I've been told that he said some disgusting stuff to the Mayo player and the Mayo player didn't take kindly to it. I can't repeat what I was told that McMahon said but it was really low. Has anyone else heard this, any truth in it?

So he is being accused of sledging now? Hooray ! What's next? Blame the migrant crisis, the state of the Greek economy and global warming on him too?

How on earth are we here supposed to know if there is any truth to it? Last time I checked, spectators weren't allowed on the pitch to eavesdrop on the players. :rolleyes:

So he is being accused of sledging now? Hooray ! What's next? Blame the migrant crisis, the state of the Greek economy and global warming on him too?

How on earth are we here supposed to know if there is any truth to it? Last time I checked, spectators weren't allowed on the pitch to eavesdrop on the players. :rolleyes:

He head butted the big Mayo lad, he eye gouged the Kerry player, he bit a player before. These incidents were all on camera, it's not just made up. You know players talk about matches once they're off the field? O'Shea told people what was said to him. I'm just wondering if it's been exaggerated because it's really nasty stuff.

Yawn.

The day after Aidan O'Shea made his ridiculous head butt allegation, a video was posted on the Indo's website that showed that no such head but took place. I presume the GAA saw it too, as they chose to take no action on the incident. It's probably still up on the Indo's website if you want to go and look for it.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your little rant. :rolleyes:

Yawn.

The day after Aidan O'Shea made his ridiculous head butt allegation, a video was posted on the Indo's website that showed that no such head but took place. I presume the GAA saw it too, as they chose to take no action on the incident. It's probably still up on the Indo's website if you want to go and look for it.

I seen the video from both angles, it's a headbutt! The second angle isn't as clear but it's definitely a headbutt. Why did you ignore the rest of my post?

It is not a headbutt, where does his head make contact with O'Shea and why does O'Shea have his hand wrapped around the neck of Phillys shirt, pulling him towards him?

I'll pay more attention to your posts, when you stop just seeing what you want to see.

I don't have a problem with Philly winning FOTY, because I think that HIS PLAY merits it. I can do that without defending or excusing the other stuff. If the voters - his fellow players - decide that he merits it, who am I to argue with them? They are the ones that play with him and against him, not me. If they decide not to vote for him, then that is fair enough too. But Paul Galvin, Tomas O'Se and Kieran Donaghty all won FOTY, even though they had reputations that were less than squeaky clean. If they are deemed to be worthy of winning it, then Philly should be too.

It is not a headbutt, where does his head make contact with O'Shea and why does O'Shea have his hand wrapped around the neck of Phillys shirt, pulling him towards him?

I'll pay more attention to your posts, when you stop just seeing what you want to see.

I don't have a problem with Philly winning FOTY, because I think that HIS PLAY merits it. I can do that without defending or excusing the other stuff. If the voters - his fellow players - decide that he merits it, who am I to argue with them? They are the ones that play with him and against him, not me. If they decide not to vote for him, then thqat is fair enough too. But Paul Galvin, Tomas O'Se and Kieran Donaghty all won FOTY, even though they had reputations that were less than squeaky clean. If they are deemed to be worthy of winning it, then Philly should be too.

He throws his head into the Mayo players face. He doesn't make huge contact but he still threw a headbutt. I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Surely no-one can be happy with him getting it, for the image of the game at least. What did those other players do?

Maybe we are both seeing what we want to see. But seeing as the GAA had access to video evidence (over and above what RTE broadcast on the day) and they chose not to take any action against him, I am going to defer to their opinion on the matter.

The players vote on Footballer of The Year, not the public, not the media, not the court of public opinion & not random keyboard warriors on the internet. So any debates about "the image of the game" are largely pointless, as it is not me you have to convince. It's 1000 odd inter county players. Google O'Se and Galvin. You'll find a treasure trove of info about them and their run ins with the GAA powers that be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I admire what Philly has come through in his personal life to achieve what he has achieved. He's certainly a complicated and interesting man, which comes through in how he plays football. He seems to be an all or nothing sort of player and hard as nails, which are definitely great traits to have. That all said, some of his less admirable on-field behaviour will and should have an impact on whether he gets POTY. He was hugely influential for Dublin this year, but there is definitely an issue there with regards to how he conducts himself on the pitch at times, which will probably cost him the award. And that's not anyone's doing but Philly's, frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

What's this from Noway, more stories of AOS whinging like a baby? Aww poor Aido.....

• Advertisement

Maybe we are both seeing what we want to see. But seeing as the GAA had access to video evidence (over and above what RTE broadcast on the day) and they chose not to take any action against him, I am going to defer to their opinion on the matter.

The players vote on Footballer of The Year, not the public, not the media, not the court of public opinion & not random keyboard warriors on the internet. So any debates about "the image of the game" are largely pointless, as it is not me you have to convince. It's 1000 odd inter county players. Google O'Se and Galvin. You'll find a treasure trove of info about them and their run ins with the GAA powers that be.

Haven't everyone in the GAA got off with disciplinary issues this year? I don't think that proves anything.

I was asking how could the ordinary fan be happy with McMahon getting player of the year. I don't see how they could be with his disgusting behaviour.

EICVD wrote: »
    What's this from Noway, more stories of AOS whinging like a baby? Aww poor Aido.....

If some of the stuff I was told was true then I don't think making a laugh of O'Shea is called for. Surely there's some levels you're not allowed to sink to when sledging or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

What is he meant to have said?

If you can't repeat it, it is ridiculous to refer to it.

D9Male wrote: »
    What is he meant to have said?

If you can't repeat it, it is ridiculous to refer to it.

I already said I can't repeat it. Why is it ridiculous to refer to it? I was told that O'Shea shook all the Dublin players hands but wouldn't shake McMahons.

I find it funny that a poster knows Phillys name but refers to AOS as the big lad from mayo and the Kerry lad. To funny, must try harder:rolleyes:

Because it adds nothing to the discussion to reference it but not reveal what you are talking about.

Read this:

Somebody told me that noway12345 completely makes things up, and puts un-sourced hearsay up on the internet to back up his argument. I can't tell you who told me that, but it is true, and I think it devalues his posts.

Now do you see how ridiculous it is to tell half a tale and expect people to take you seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So he is being accused of sledging now? Hooray ! What's next?

Would it really be that surprising if he did get up to a bit of sledging? Because he more than likely does. It's a pretty common part of the game these days, and with the tight-nit nature of the GAA and Ireland in general, I've no doubt that things can probably get very personal from time to time. I don't know what went on between Philly and AOS, but I'm sure Philly has given his fair share of abuse on the pitch at times, and probably gotten plenty of it back too.

I find it funny that a poster knows Phillys name but refers to AOS as the big lad from mayo and the Kerry lad. To funny, must try harder:rolleyes:

I called him O'Shea. What's your point exactly?

Because it adds nothing to the discussion to reference it but not reveal what you are talking about.

Read this:

Somebody told me that noway12345 completely makes things up, and puts un-sourced hearsay up on the internet to back up his argument. I can't tell you who told me that, but it is true, and I think it devalues his posts.

Now do you see how ridiculous it is to tell half a tale and expect people to take you seriously?

I don't think I should reveal what he said. Just to say that it was some really disgusting stuff. Why do you need detail on that?

I think it's pretty clear he did say the things he's alleged to have said because O'Shea didn't shake his hand afterwards while he shook every other Dublin players hand.

• Advertisement

I don't think I should reveal what he said. Just to say that it was some really disgusting stuff. Why do you need detail on that?

I think it's pretty clear he did say the things he's alleged to have said because O'Shea didn't shake his hand afterwards while he shook every other Dublin players hand.

I don't think we need detail on it. It is you who brought it into the debate. You either thought it was valid or not. And how do you know AOS didn't shake Philly's hand after the game?

I don't think we need detail on it. It is you who brought it into the debate. You either thought it was valid or not. And how do you know AOS didn't shake Philly's hand after the game?

That's what I said, I don't need to reveal the content of what he said. I'm sure some young people read boards.ie. Doesn't make it invalid though.
    That's what I was told, maybe you had a secret camera on them that says different?

I have no idea if he shook Philly's hand. Let's assume he didn't anyway.

But there are any number of reasons why he might not have. He might be a sore loser. He might have a very low sledging threshold. Or he might have been subject to horrific verbal and physical abuse.

I have no idea if he shook Philly's hand. Let's assume he didn't anyway.

But there are any number of reasons why he might not have. He might be a sore loser. He might have a very low sledging threshold. Or he might have been subject to horrific verbal and physical abuse.

He shook every other Dublin players hand. This is off the point anyway, someone said they'd be delighted to see McMahon get player of the year. I've asked why given his very poor disciplinary record.

Philly may have to serve a one match ban for the attempted eye gouge if proven guilty. He was claered of any attempted head butt so it on infraction as I see it. Please explain what you mean by poor record?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

On purely football grounds McMahon would have a favourites chance imo. But in light of his transgressions this season, real and imaginary, he hasn't a prayer.

Can't say i disagree either to be honest. Coldly raking someones eye is a deplorable act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yawn.

That just leaves the biting and the gouging, and the deliberately kicking gooch in the head. Vile individual

Philly may have to serve a one match ban for the attempted eye gouge if proven guilty. He was claered of any attempted head butt so it on infraction as I see it. Please explain what you mean by poor record?

Oh I didn't mean record. I meant poor discipline. Surely eye gouging, head butting, abusing players, biting players is enough for people to hope he doesn't get player of the year?

By the way a rugby player was kicked out of the World Cup for eye gouging, isn't a one game ban very soft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Just all the things that everybody has mentioned here and everywhere else for the last month. Sure if I were to tell you again you d probably have forgotten by the time you get to the end of the sentence if you need to be told again.

Oh I didn't mean record. I meant poor discipline. Surely eye gouging, head butting, abusing players, biting players is enough for people to hope he doesn't get player of the year?

By the way a rugby player was kicked out of the World Cup for eye gouging, isn't a one game ban very soft?

This is 2015 POTY? Forget about other years or sure lets give it to Gooch for his displays in 2002!!!

Cleared of head butting, facing an allegation of gouging (which I think he is guilty of) so it is the one thing you are talking about? Drop all the other shyte and lets deal with one thing that may go against him? His dispalys in both semi and final on a footballing basis were excellent. Keeping two of the best forwards in the country in his arse pocket.

harpsman wrote: »
    Just all the things that everybody has mentioned here and everywhere else for the last month. Sure if I were to tell you again you d probably have forgotten by the time you get to the end of the sentence if you need to be told again.

See previous reply to another poster for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement