Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast setup problem

Options
  • 04-08-2015 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Chromecast problem.

Hi.
    I'm having trouble setting up a Chomecast. I bought it three weeks ago and it has only worked sporadically . Tonight was the first chance I've had to have a proper look at it. When it comes to the stage where you join the network I add the router name and password. After this it is unable to connect to the router. I've retried several times but to no avail. I even disabled the password for half an hour but it makes no difference. If that wasn't bad enough, it kicks the laptop off the router and I have to manually re-connect. I also tried setting up with an android tablet and the same thing happens.

I did two factory re-sets and it's plugged into the mains rather than the TV USB.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I know it sounds mad, but maybe it's your router.

Have you tried it at a friends house, to see if you can go through the whole process without a problem?

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Bayberry wrote: »
    I know it sounds mad, but maybe it's your router.

Have you tried it at a friends house, to see if you can go through the whole process without a problem?

+1 on the router been the issue, what type is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you know how, check ehst radio channel your router is broadcasting on. Chromecasts don't see 13 or 14 unless they have changed this in an update.

To fix this just set your router to broadcast from a lower channel. Its most likely on auto at the moment which would explain it working sporadically.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks folks. I'm just up and rushing out the door. I'll look into that after lunch.

The router is Netgear WGT624. It's the network type for Fastcom, not the landline type.

No joy. The router was on channel 11 so I changed it to ch 5. Same thing is happening. I'm getting this message:

Uh-oh moment.
    We cannot connect your computer to the same network as your chromecast. This is required to complete setup
    You can manually change your computer's wi-fi network to the network to the network you are using with your chromecast and click 'try again'

When I look at 'Attached devices' the chromecast is showing up so it must be getting on.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    No joy. The router was on channel 11 so I changed it to ch 5. Same thing is happening. I'm getting this message:

Uh-oh moment.
    We cannot connect your computer to the same network as your chromecast. This is required to complete setup
    You can manually change your computer's wi-fi network to the network to the network you are using with your chromecast and click 'try again'

When I look at 'Attached devices' the chromecast is showing up so it must be getting on.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/6207416?hl=en&rd=1 suggests that you need to disable UPnP on that router.

Bayberry, That did the trick. It set up in a matter of seconds after I disabled the UPnP.

If you're ever in Sligo there'll be a pint on the counter for you.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Bayberry, That did the trick. It set up in a matter of seconds after I disabled the UPnP.

If you're ever in Sligo there'll be a pint on the counter for you.

Thanks Joe!

Advertisement