Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA crap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think it was a bit of a cheeky racket to set something up as free and then later start charging a fee for something that should be free.
    Anyone shocked by the US Government charging administration fees is clearly not the most worldly individual.

But, as far as the "front" sites like esta.ie are concerned, I consider them to be very much scamming people out of money.

let me guess, you think that's perfectly fine. ;)
    It's obvious fraud where they indicate they are working on behalf of the US Government, but anyone falling for a 500% mark-up isn't getting a lot of sympathy from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I think it was a bit of a cheeky racket to set something up as free and then later start charging a fee for something that should be free.
    The US government decided that the cost of running the ESTA scheme should be borne by the people applying for ESTAs. An easy decision for them to make, when the people who elect them will never need an ESTA :)

(Yeah, I know, the counter argument is that the ESTAs are required by the US, so the US should bear the cost, but if you need an ESTA, you don't have a vote, and the US has decided that it doesn't actually need foreign tourist dollars, so you pays your money and you takes your choice).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bayberry wrote: »
    The US government decided that the cost of running the ESTA scheme should be borne by the people applying for ESTAs. An easy decision for them to make, when the people who elect them will never need an ESTA :)

(Yeah, I know, the counter argument is that the ESTAs are required by the US, so the US should bear the cost, but if you need an ESTA, you don't have a vote, and the US has decided that it doesn't actually need foreign tourist dollars, so you pays your money and you takes your choice).

Well, actually they say the cost was introduced to "...to fund a programme which aims to promote tourism in the US and attract foreign spending."

Which is a load of old pony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

An honest website would have the charges front and centre.

This is a scam, nothing more.

It's a case of live and learn I'm afraid.

You're saying now that it's a scam and they should have their prices up front but you're saying that in hindsight. As pointed out, they provide a service and you paid for it. No point in complaining now that there was no prices up and that it was $14 everywhere else. You wouldn't order a television online if there was no price on it just because it was €250 on every other site.

On the other hand, you have to be thanked for pointing it out as otherwise I'm sure there's plenty more would be caught like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Due to the ignored Mod warning in post 27, this thread is closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement