Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant question

Options
  • 04-08-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Only my second post so if its too long winded I am sorry.

Anyway I have a son who started his 3rd year of university work experience in Galway. He needed a lease for 9 months.

He found a house on May 25 and rented it wI th lease for 9 months with three other lads(all doing work experience) They paid one month deposit.

He received a text a few weeks later from landlord saying there were complaints about noise so the landlord gave him a warning. My son was surpised at this saying he could think of why.

He told other lads so they would know. The other three lads go home on Fridays to Monday My son comes home every other weekend due to living on an island and working late shift.

He got a second text from landlord on July 24 stating same problem.My son did say they were playing music late the prior evening till 3am. It was just the four of them.

He got home that night and found an eviction letter stating he wanted them out in seven days. He texted the other lads who had all gone home.

I assumed this was in his rights since they were warned so my son and I were looking for new arrangements asap due to not living on mainland. On Monday the other lads returned and had researched the landlord, called the property management who said there were no complaints reported to them, spoke to lawyer etc.

An email was sent to them with quotes from rental board and Threshold He returned with an email stating he would let them leave on own or it would effect their future career paths.

They replied again with 28 day notice that was needed, he wasn't registered with tenancy board etc.

He sent an email the next day saying rent was due on 28 and they were to deposit it into his account by Saturday or they would be in breach. They thought they had finished with him.

When they returned to house on Monday evening there was an eviction notice again but 28 days.

Is anyone familiar with this sort of business? Is this is all ok? I know everyone thinks their child is perfect but No one is home half the time, they had no parties, yes maybe they were loud a few times I just don't get all this.

No places for him to rent now. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Are they in galway per chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

lollsangel wrote: »
    Are they in galway per chance?
    kittyIE wrote: »
    Hi Only my second post so if its too long winded I am sorry Anyway I have a son who started his 3rd year of university work experience in Galway...

OP I think your son already had a thread here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Your son posted this exact thing the other day?

He didn't say anything about playing music until 3am though..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kittyIE

Yes Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ComfortKid wrote: »
    He didn't say anything about playing music until 3am though..
    kinanoman wrote: »
    We were very confused as at no point had we ever made noise in the house

The plot thickens...

OP just tell your son that he was making noise and that the landlord is within his rights to issue a notice of termination. He withheld the making noise bit in his thread and probably withheld the real extent of noise from you. Chalk it up to a learning experience to not cause a nuisance to the neighbours.

Yes They did make noise that night for hells sake they r young men Apologise to neighbour but to evict. them come on 7 weeks Something strange here They arnt there most of time I imagine this prick does this all the time and plans on keeping the deposit sorry don't agree w you You must be a landlord.....Sorry that I sound unappreciative of ur reply but something is fishy here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yes They did make noise that night for hells sake they r young men Apologise to neighbour but to evict. them come on 7 weeks Something strange here They arnt there most of time I imagine this prick does this all the time and plans on keeping the deposit sorry don't agree w you You must be a landlord.....Sorry that I sound unappreciative of ur reply but something is fishy here

They were playing music til 3am after being warned already about noise. That's simply not acceptable and them being young and not being there on the weekend means nothing if they're disturbing people at 3am when they are there!

Nothing fishy at all. He played music untill 3am. How are you to know he wasn't playing music every night or having mad partys? Your son didn't mention anything about music in his thread in fact he was shocked by the complaint as there wasn't anyone in the house when the alleged noise was made. I'm definitely not a landlord, I'm a private tennant.

I think it's more likely you're hearing just one side of the story. We gave your son advice in the other thread under good faith (we even gave him the advice to stay put, open a dispute, 28 days notice is required, etc).

No, I'm not a landlord, but I can spot a chancer.

• Advertisement

Hi Trying to see his post not too good at this would anyone know what is was under I have been looking cant find it I would like to see what he wrote thanks in advance

Hi Trying to see his post not too good at this would anyone know what is was under I have been looking cant find it I would like to see what he wrote thanks in advance

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96306513#post96306513

sorry a chancer?

kittyIE wrote:

Can't find it myself, but it was pretty much exactly what you said bar the playing music until 3am.

sorry a chancer?

Yes, I called him a chancer since he solicited advice from us on the basis that there was no noise being made. He got this advice from us in good faith and appears to have used it to leverage the landlord (whose understanding of the legislation is lacking, it has to be said). It now appears the landlord was acting in good faith to actual complaints which, had we known, we would have proffered different advice.

The latest notice of termination is invalid for technical reasons, however it seems your son has avioded the correct action which was advised, i.e. opening a PRTB dispute, in favour of just ignoring the notice altogether. The PRTB offer a lot of protection to tenants while a case is open so I contend that the only reason to not do this is that he feels in the wrong.

This is my reading of the situation with the new evidence. Maybe I'm incorrect.

Hi I just spoke to my son it wasn't him probably another lad in apartment thanks evryone

ok thanks I am going to contact that board anyway something here seems just not quite right I spoke to him he didn't post that maybe his friend did because I thought too the landlord was in the right since he warned them don't mean to b defensive but if u knew my son he would b a proper tenant(I hope) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

My parents are LLs. Every year the parents come up with their sons and daughters, who are "pioneers" and will never have a party. My parents will issue warnings and then finally an eviction notice after endless partying and the Gardai called a few times. This is usually followed by some passive aggressive mother complaining about how their son/daughter is being unfairly evicted. Their child didnt do anything wrong. They generally change their tone, when my parents have a list of complaints and dates made by the neighbours. Do you not find weird your son took a warning for something he "allegedly" didnt do?

I imagine if you call their Landlord,you might get a different story.Although I wonder are they being evicted for the landlord to get a higher rent for the Academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

ok thanks I am going to contact that board anyway something here seems just not quite right

Why are you doing anything, let your son do this, he knows far more about the situation than you.

Not trying to be being brash, but the experience could help him in future rent disputes...

Thanks Michael higgens there for the post..It wasn't my son it was one of his roommates He didn't mention the emails either sorry michele

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Thanks Michael higgens there for the post..It wasn't my son it was one of his roommates He didn't mention the emails either sorry michele

If your son is old enough to be living on his own he is old enough to handle this himself.

It doesn't look good for him and his mates, though.

Chances are you aren't hearing the full story and they probably were causing a nuisance. Nobody is perfect but lesson learned. He should find somewhere else to live ASAP.

Sorry I am not passive aggressive I initially told him he warned u so this was all their fault. I have stayed out for the most part yes he is learning his life skills Getting a bit anxious because he has been looking for a place to no avail we live on an island so he more than the others needs a place on the mainland Not possible to get home as his works shift hours

kittyIE wrote:
    Sorry I am not passive aggressive I initially told him he warned u so this was all their fault. I have stayed out for the most part yes he is learning his life skills Getting a bit anxious because he has been looking for a place to no avail we live on an island so he more than the others needs a place on the mainland Not possible to get home as his works shift hours

Now! Did the lad that wrote the other thread not say he worked shift and the others didn't so they were able to get home the weekends? Your son started the other thread.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Now! Did the lad that wrote the other thread not say he worked shift and the others didn't so they were able to get home the weekends? Your son started the other thread.

Just checked and there's nothing about shift work in the other thread. It could have been one of the other housemates.

Apologies then. I was sure he said something about working shift, must have gotten mixed up with another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

"They're just young fellas". Playing music until 3am is just about bearable on a Saturday night. However, if they were going home every weekend, then that means they playing music until 3am on a weekday night with people around them needing to get up for work. Thats beyond unacceptable and is reason for eviction.

This has been a valuable life lesson for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have to agree with the other posters. Playing music until three am on a weeknight with neighbours around isn't acceptable. You say you live on an island so I am assuming the amount of close neighbours you have is negligible, if any at all. So your son could most likely do stuff like that at home and not bother anyone. But in the city (mainland) where houses are built close together you have to have respect for your neighbours. Also I can't imagine that they were playing music at three am and just sitting still in chairs listening to it. There has to be more to it than that.

Whilst the landlord has gone about this all wrong he is well within his rights to evict (properly) for anti-social behaviour. Your son and his housemates are going to have to suck it up and learn what is and isn't acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

KittyIE please use paragraphs when posting. Please also note that using text speak is in breach of our charter here

Mod

Advertisement