Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nct madness

Options
  • 04-08-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Both myself and my wife have letters in from the NCT these past few weeks. At first I just thought it was a typo but when my wifes letter had the same I just put it down to prue uselessness on the NCTs behalf. The number plates are coming up as DS rather the DL.
    The letter states 'you are shown on our records as the registered owner of 11 DS 34**' I mean come on.... I know we are the forgotten county but at least pick a letter that is actually in the name of the county. Useless muppets. I have yet to try the online site to see if I have to put in DS or DL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You might be able to book the test for free online :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

madalig12 wrote: »
    How so?
    that was just a joke seeing as no such reg. no. exists. If it doesn't exist then a fee doesn't exist

Ok. I guess so. They would be the kinda pernikitity company who would probably fail me for having the wrong plates on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Applus NCT are an utter mess compared to SGS (the predecessor). Had to do a restest at 12:10am - ten past midnight!

• Advertisement

Failed my 2011 car for offside dip light being slightly high....I assume that's the fricking technical term. €28 more euro for a retest just to check a headlight. It's a dip light on the passenger side, hardly makes my car unroadworthy. Jobs-worth could have just passed me an told me to fix it. I hate NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Failed my 2011 car for offside dip light being slightly high....I assume that's the fricking technical term. €28 more euro for a retest just to check a headlight. It's a dip light on the passenger side, hardly makes my car unroadworthy. Jobs-worth could have just passed me an told me to fix it. I hate NCT.

That sounds very harsh. I know in the past I had a few very minor issues that they told me to go get fixed, come back later and show them, then they would give me the pass cert. Tight going charging you €28 just to look at something for a few seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Jobs-worth could have just passed me an told me to fix it. I hate NCT.

9 times out of 10 if they just proceeded to pass the car through the test and advise the owner to sort it out, the owner would ignore the advice and claim, ah sure it passed didn't it!

Blame the lazy feckers that don't want to maintain their cars at all as the reason for NCT testers having to fail on the most simple of things. Think of it like all stupid labels that seems to come on / with every product you can buy these days.

warning-fails-2.jpg

I wouldn't mind if it were a lesser charge for something so simple or if I hadn't taken it to a garage first to get it checked out for the test.

Also asking me to sign a form for 'the smoke test' was a bit of a blatant lie as it's clearly a disclaimer for any damage which may occur due to mechanical failure during the test..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

overshoot wrote: »
    getting the car services this week and this thread reminded me to book it in early again like last time until i read...

you would think they were doing you a favour offering early testing and telling you of its availability. Guess they can fit me in January or offer the free test with the god knows how many other cars bought that month.

To be fair there has to be a limit of how far in advance you can do it otherwise you could do the NCT the do it again straight away and get twice the length, 90 days seems reasonable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

cruizer101 wrote: »
    To be fair there has to be a limit of how far in advance you can do it otherwise you could do the NCT the do it again straight away and get twice the length, 90 days seems reasonable to me.
    ha my bad, just deleted it before you posted, i mistook it for all early testing. Thought all new dates would be from your test date. Found it elsewhere that only early tests change the date. 90 days or less leaves it as registration which is fair enough.

Advertisement