Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a decent 18 - 23 inch all in one PC

Options
  • 04-08-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a decent 18 - 23 inch all in one PC - with a touchscreen preferably

Liked the look of the Dell XPS 18 which was a large tablet which could function as a desktop as well but just found out it's gone end of life

Plan to sit it up on a breakfast bar so would need to look sharp enough..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-Chromebase-21-5-Chrome-Monitor/dp/B00JR8MMC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1415362621&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+chromebase

Anyone got any opinions on these?

Obviously they are not at all highly spec'd at prices like that but maybe it doesn't need to be

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

No windows, only 2gb of ram and a 16gb hard drive. Not to mention the processor is tiny. I wouldn't think that would be of much use for anything. Minimum most would recommend for any computer is 4gb of ram as I don't think that would even take office 2013.

Ant695 wrote: »
    No windows, only 2gb of ram and a 16gb hard drive. Not to mention the processor is tiny. I wouldn't think that would be of much use for anything. Minimum most would recommend for any computer is 4gb of ram as I don't think that would even take office 2013.

don't need office

and it's possible to upgrade the RAM to 8GB

Have a 16GB i7 machine with an SSD running windows 8.1 at home as well so this doesn't need to be a big performer..

If you don't need the performance then it would do fine. I was just using office as an example of something basic that is quite demanding. There's also this one that seems pretty decent given the storage etc...:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-19-5-inch-Desktop-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B00LM9SUM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438686271&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+one+pc

If you don't need the performance then it would do fine. I was just using office as an example of something basic that is quite demanding. There's also this one that seems pretty decent given the storage etc...:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-19-5-inch-Desktop-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B00LM9SUM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438686271&sr=8-1&keywords=all+in+one+pc

that certainly looks promising... I'd probably need to stick an SSD in there with a some extra ram to beef it up a little

359 in currys

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    that certainly looks promising... I'd probably need to stick an SSD in there with a some extra ram to beef it up a little

359 in currys

That's actually cheaper than amazon would be with the exchange rate so couldn't go wrong with that.

That's actually cheaper than amazon would be with the exchange rate so couldn't go wrong with that.

120GB 6Gb SATA SSD and an 8GB memory chip from crucial would come in at €120..

Could probably shop around for cheaper... but all in for €480 is perfectly acceptable

Not a touchscreen but then I'm not sure we'd even use that

You'd only need to throw in another 4gb of ram and it'd be flying. Would bring cost down a little as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

all in one pc's are ok as long as you have no intention of ever playing games.

Skatedude wrote: »
    all in one pc's are ok as long as you have no intention of ever playing games.

nah... no need whatsoever

• Advertisement

however I've been thinking about touchscreen and that would be a handy feature for the young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why not a tablet?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why not a tablet?

personally I just find the screens are too small..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looking for a decent 18 - 23 inch all in one PC - with a touchscreen preferably

Liked the look of the Dell XPS 18 which was a large tablet which could function as a desktop as well but just found out it's gone end of life

Plan to sit it up on a breakfast bar so would need to look sharp enough..

I recently got an XPS 18, it's a really nice piece of kit probably the nicest Windows machine I've ever owned. I wouldn't be to worried about it being EOL'd if you can get one for the right price.

It works great as a small AIO desktop with the added bonus you can sit with it on your lap in a monster-tablet format.

Touch screen would jack the price up a fair bit a my personal experience with them was that they are not that useful on a desktop pc as you are reaching across the desk to get at it. More effective on laptops and tablets.

Graham wrote: »
    I recently got an XPS 18, it's a really nice piece of kit probably the nicest Windows machine I've ever owned. I wouldn't be to worried about it being EOL'd if you can get one for the right price.

It works great as a small AIO desktop with the added bonus you can sit with it on your lap in a monster-tablet format.

Where could I get one? Dell Ireland/UK don't carry them anymore. Was in touch with them earlier and said it was eol and sold out.

Did you get it from Dell?

Where could I get one? Dell Ireland/UK don't carry them anymore. Was in touch with them earlier and said it was eol and sold out.

found it in about two seconds on amazon uk

oh never mind - it's a used one with no warranty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Avderts.i

Adverts.ie there's a chap been selling them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Ouch - I just looked at the Dell page, where they list Desktops starting at €229, and All in Ones starting at €879!!!!!

It'd want to do more than look pretty at that price, just to be sat up on the breakfast bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

If all you want is basic web browsing, video streaming, e-mail, photo's, some word processing, etc, then the Lenovo's at PCWorld or Argos or the like for under €400 should be just fine, but they don't have a touchscreen. If a touchscreen is important, it'll cost you another €250.

You might also want to consider a laptop or "2-in-one" device. You mention kids, so maybe you don't want something that's too portable, so that they don't move it, and laptops don't go over 17", and "2-in-ones" usually only go to 15", but depending on what you actually expect the machine to be used for, it might be worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Graham wrote: »

Er, You mentioned young kids? a tablet that size might be easier to break,

Bayberry wrote: »
    If all you want is basic web browsing, video streaming, e-mail, photo's, some word processing, etc, then the Lenovo's at PCWorld or Argos or the like for under €400 should be just fine, but they don't have a touchscreen. If a touchscreen is important, it'll cost you another €250.

You might also want to consider a laptop or "2-in-one" device. You mention kids, so maybe you don't want something that's too portable, so that they don't move it, and laptops don't go over 17", and "2-in-ones" usually only go to 15", but depending on what you actually expect the machine to be used for, it might be worth considering.

picked up the XPS 18 for €500

Be hard to do a better deal

Advertisement