Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickstarter Ripoff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Why would anyone back this?
    It's dumb. People would have to be dumb to back this in fairness.
    It's 2 pencil drawings and he wants 22k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There is loads of this crap on kickstarter, I wouldn't worry about it.

Look at the state of this Irish one for example

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/743863663/the-new-photographer-project?ref=nav_search

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The problem with the campaign isn't that it's a remake (at best) of Gangsters, it's that it appears to be a kid with an "idea" but with no development experience or even studio behind him. It looks like he's trying to fund another company to make his game for an amount of money that wouldn't come close to what's needed to complete a project of that scale.

If anything, I'd wager he's trying to get a company via Elance or a similar site to do it. Even the milestone deliverables indicate the manner in which the funds will be released to the developer under a standard work for hire contract rather than them being useful information to potential backers.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's not a chance it'll get fully funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Welp, now I want to play Gangsters again. Bloody well loved that game. Pretty sure a cheat code had something to do with Hanson

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Welp, now I want to play Gangsters again. Bloody well loved that game. Pretty sure a cheat code had something to do with Hanson

ILOVEHANSON = 50,000

Too many times i used it.
    GOG Here i come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

RasTa wrote: »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/743863663/the-new-photographer-project?ref=nav_search

15 euro for a handmade card and some paper clips ? :eek: Can a mod please move this to Bargain Alerts ????

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Gangsters... I hope the irony is not lost on the lad.

What a game. Hours went into it.

erkifino wrote: »
    Gangsters... I hope the irony is not lost on the lad.

What a game. Hours went into it.

Gangster Organize Crime was my childhood, Gangsters 2 was my adulthood

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bendigo92

Hello that kickstarter is mine lol yer well i have no idea how to make a game and i have found no one actually going forward with doing anything so i have contacted gaming company in india who have quoted me this amount. Everyone is having ago about this but tbh atleast im trying to get something done i even have £5,000 of my own money waiting to be put into this. If i am able to meet more people that can help maybe i able to change this.

But from what i have been told there is many months of work that has to be put into this to build it from scratch.

I have had alot of negitive people saying im trying to scam people but im really not im just trying to put it out there and do what i can as i LOVE RTS GAMES and gangsters 2 was the first game i played on pc from then ive been hooked and still keep playing the mission over and over it really needs a remake. City of omerta sucked for me.

Well anyways sorry if ive upset you guys but i have never done anything like this and this is the cheapest quote i have had someone even said 80k im a genuine person trying to remake my dream game.

And also for the 2 **** drawings yer im not very talented lmao but atleast im trying right?

Gizmo is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The heart might be there my good man, but the Details and Info that backers want is not.

Why does this game need to exist if Gangsters 2 already exists would be my 1st question?

What's its USP, what's different/new/better?

Those would be... like questions 1 and 2 that you should be able to answer.... out of like a further 30 questions.... before parting people with their money, or even your own for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Oh wow yeah I still have my disc copy of Gangsters 2, great game. A modern version of this would be amazing. Shame about this kickstarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It may not be a scam but it's a terrible idea. If you do manage to get the budget are you really going to send it off to India and expect to get the game you want? How on Earth do you guarantee quality of service in circumstances like that?

Sounds like a great way to burn 5k to me. Are you hoping to sell this game once it's made?

Their is plenty of talent that you could call upon that could maybe mod improve gangster 2 fix issues and general add more that if you started looking im sure you would find it and it would cost alot less then 20k. But asking for money is a no no as it would land you in the deep end

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was thinking about backing her for a fiver for the handmade card, but then when She threw in some paperclips for an extra tenner, how could I resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bendigo92 wrote: »
    Hello that kickstarter is mine lol yer well i have no idea how to make a game and i have found no one actually going forward with doing anything so i have contacted gaming company in india who have quoted me this amount. Everyone is having ago about this but tbh atleast im trying to get something done i even have £5,000 of my own money waiting to be put into this. If i am able to meet more people that can help maybe i able to change this.

But from what i have been told there is many months of work that has to be put into this to build it from scratch.

I have had alot of negitive people saying im trying to scam people but im really not im just trying to put it out there and do what i can as i LOVE RTS GAMES and gangsters 2 was the first game i played on pc from then ive been hooked and still keep playing the mission over and over it really needs a remake. City of omerta sucked for me.

Well anyways sorry if ive upset you guys but i have never done anything like this and this is the cheapest quote i have had someone even said 80k im a genuine person trying to remake my dream game.

And also for the 2 **** drawings yer im not very talented lmao but atleast im trying right?
    Go to college plz.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Go to college plz.

I already have. no need to be rude

Zillah wrote: »
    It may not be a scam but it's a terrible idea. If you do manage to get the budget are you really going to send it off to India and expect to get the game you want? How on Earth do you guarantee quality of service in circumstances like that?

Sounds like a great way to burn 5k to me. Are you hoping to sell this game once it's made?

going to make its free as i only want the game for myself.

i can understand why people are upset that i am trying to remake this. its because no one wants someone with no experience in making games getting any credit for funding a epic classic remake. i am not here to make money from it what so ever if i could afford to do it myself i would 100% get it done but i need to save for my visa to stay in australia first

Their is plenty of talent that you could call upon that could maybe mod improve gangster 2 fix issues and general add more that if you started looking im sure you would find it and it would cost alot less then 20k. But asking for money is a no no as it would land you in the deep end

the thing is everyone i have spoken to about this game remake said that its going to cost alot in time to build this game all over again unless you can get the blueprints/source code then its a easy cheap job.

i thought it would be alot less myself and i originally made a kick starter for 2k but once i started to ask around and speak to alot of people it turns out it costs so so much more.

for example google how much it costs to make a low budget 2d animation/3d that will show you how much it costs just alone for the cut scenes of story line games

Cormac... wrote: »
    The heart might be there my good man, but the Details and Info that backers want is not.

Why does this game need to exist if Gangsters 2 already exists would be my 1st question?

What's its USP, what's different/new/better?

Those would be... like questions 1 and 2 that you should be able to answer.... out of like a further 30 questions.... before parting people with their money, or even your own for that matter.

thats why im searching for people to help not just give negative feedback on something alot of people want i mean yer im not the best brain in the world and i have 0 experience with game making/design but i have good idea to be added. do you see anyother kickstarters for gangsters 3? why is no one even trying?

im happy to team up with whoever and promote this as much as i can but just putting down my kick starter is really sad how about give me some advice and ideas?? rather then saying its just a kid with an idea, lets all work together to get what we want out of this!

gangsters 2 is awesome i still play now but you are only limited to the missions if it had more content with slightly better graphics more guns and also based in UK when alot of 1920s-1930s gangster was around the plan is to expand what gangsters 2 already is like every game out there does.

imagine gangsters 2 with loads of more content from everyones ideas.

a sandbox mode, with randomised map skirmishes. a storyline where you create your own mafis from bottom up. the ideas are endless. gangsters 2 is just very limited to what you can do.

drugs back in 1920s-1930s was a massive income source for gangs aswell that gangsters 2 missed out on.

i just have ideas to put forward and what i wanted to get out of the kick starter was mostly contacts and more ideas which i have found. everything starts somewhere so why should we bother waiting for someone else to do it when no one is its only going to end up with nothing happening.

so what if this kick starter does not get a penny atleast i have met amazing people like you lot to get involved with.

maybe we should all start up a online petition and see how many votes we can get and approach the original devs themselves and say hey look how many people want a remake how about you kick start this yourselves ?

• Advertisement

TBH is anyone of you kickstarted this i would 100% throw money that i can at it!

why has it not been done? i would not be scared to lose £5 in the chance of getting a poor gangsters 3 atleast its a start.

think how many times games have been reposted on steam till someone perfects it and thats it done.

Grav has loads of remakes

Dayz has loads of remakes

that new dino game has loads of remakes

baulder gate even has loads of remakes

why has no one made a good GANGSTER rts lately i love all that old school stuff

change.org/p/eidos-peter-moreland-rob-davis-rob-davies-hothouse-creations-make-gangsters-3

check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

kickstarter.com/projects/743863663/the-new-photographer-project?ref=nav_search

What an absolute joke. At least I can relax knowing nobody will be dumb enough to fund this....right?!

As regards Gangsters. I think you've gone too far down the wrong path and trying to convince people will be difficult at this stage. You need to rethink everything and come up with exactly what it is you want.

The time for throwing out ideas should've been long gone at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ah, the auld, 6-posts-in-a-row technique.

We should lock this sad debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ah, the auld, 6-posts-in-a-row technique.

We should lock this sad debacle.

But I just got ready!

RHiD0K65NxxLO.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

"A student aspiring to become a photographer" :pac:

Here lads I aspire to be a PS4 owner anyone wanna help me out? :pac:

Feck it sure I'll stop working altogether, aspiring is a better way to get money right? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

??????????????????

Most studios do this these days. Have you seen the credits for The Last of Us? Apparently everyone in China was handed a wacom tablet and told to get to work.

At least Indians speak English.

EDIT: Just saw page 2. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Advertisement