Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash for Hurleys

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently purchased land that has plenty of mature ash, oak and beech trees.
    We are getting ready to thin the place out as it was never done.
    A friend who is a carpenter and big into his hurling said there may be some hurley makers who would be interested in the bottom part of the ash tree.

Has anyone any advice or prices or maybe know someone who would be interested?

South Roscommon area

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been told that ash grown for hurleys is grown in a specific manner, in that it's planted so that the bottom of the tree is growing sideways out of a bank, so if that's true (no guarantees on that whatsoever), not all of your trees may be suitable; but i suspect your carpenter friend would know better than i would.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Money certainly talks and nowadays the interest in learning more about forest management is such that you may have to book in advance to be sure of a place. A few weeks ago a demo on harvesting and extracting timber near Roscrea attracted a crowd of over 500 and a more recent event I attended, again in Tipperary on the use of Irish ash for hurley production, was booked out a week in advance

Before you start going mad with the chainsaw, might be worth it to attend the course.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slabofbud

Hi,

I am a Hurley Maker from the Munster area. Are you still looking to sell your Ash Trees Hugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hugh82

A guy is coming to look at them next week. If he's not interested, I can get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RicardoVerdi

I live in Offaly. There's a healthy mature ash in my garden that may need to be taken down. Probably 80 foot tall, as a rough estimate. (But it's not planted so that the bottom of the tree is growing sideways out of a bank.)

Anyone interested in buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have ash trees for Hurley’s in Leitrim/Cavan border. Anyone interested let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Fascinating topic.
    What kind of money on average does an ash tree sell for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

razor8 wrote: »
    Have ash trees for Hurley’s in Leitrim/Cavan border. Anyone interested let me know

Put your for sale items on Adverts.ie and a link to them from here.

This is a woodcraft forum, not a for sale forum.
    Thankyou

kadman

Advertisement