Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vegetarian

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi there,

So i've decided that I want to be vegetarian & am only a few days in. So far I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything but that could be because I ate out a lot over the weekend.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations for quickish dinner's. I generally try to avoid processed food so I don't want to fall into the habit of cheese pizzas or frozen veggie burgers just to avoid meat.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Hey OP, welcome to the world of being a veggie! :)

Choosing what too eat can always be tricky on the transition. I know myself I heavily relied on quorn and other really processed foods but I can see why people would want to avoid that!

As for quick meals ideas, if i come home from work wanting something quick+easy to put together, any combination of veg+pulse+carb usually only takes 15 minutes to put together. A veg stir-fry, made just chopping any veg I have to hand plus noodles, some chick peas (or Tofu if I have time) and a drop of soy sauce usually does the trick. Fajitas again are great, just chop your veg and add anything else you want to it, heat the flour wraps and you can have it ready in 10 mins. Any pasta dish or lentil/chickpea type curry again, just throw your veg onto cook add your seasoning/sauce.

For something a little lighter, a nice tomato or vegetable soup can be thrown together handily enough, same with stuffed peppers/aubergines, and salads!...For years I fought the idea of a lone salad but if you find a good vinaigrette it can make a salad, again with pulses or other protein source, roughly 100 times better and if big enough makes a fine meal.

I think the thing to remember is that everybody is different, so the best thing is to try as many different things as you can early on so that you can find which foods and meals that suit you best.

Best of luck on your journey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi op. When I want something fast I usually go for Mexican so like burritos, burrito bowl, or something simple like bolognaise, pasta dishes, baked potato and something, so nothing a million miles away from what you used to eat. But there are just endless recipes and resources available online now, it couldn't be easier to find recipes. I would just search for quick vegetarian meals, one pot meals etc. I used to scoff at people doing meal planning but its a really good idea, and keeping a master list of your favourite meals so you have something to refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Thanks guys. I caved and got a takeaway last night rather than think up my own meal but otherwise so far so good & still not missing meat :)

Advertisement