Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get money for college?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi! I am a 15 year old living in Co.Kildare. I know this might be a little too early to worry about these things, but I'd like to know what I'm going into and what I'm doing before I do it. I want to go to college after the leaving cert, hopefully Trinity. But there are a few things I am confused on. I am aware that you can get a student loan to pay for your course, but how exactly am I meant to get money for my own spending? In other words, how am I meant to pay for an apartment to live in, how am I meant to buy food and clothes and other necessities. I thought I could just go on the dole and ration out my money wisely, but it turns out you are not allowed to apply for the dole if you are in college. It may seem stupid, but I am unsure about how I am meant to get money, at all! My parents can't afford to be giving me money all the time, so is there any other way I can get it? It might be early, but please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

Yeah full time students can't get dole payments, but you can apply for a SUSI grant, which is awarded on the basis of your parents income, and at different levels depending on that, and the distance you are from college.
    There are 2 charges for 3rd level college courses: the student contribution charge and tuition fees - tuition fees are covered by the free fees initiative. If you qualify for the SUSI grant, they pay the contribution charge, and also pay a maintenance grant of a maximum of 330ish a month, which covers food, travel, expenses etc.
    So if you qualify for the full grant, the only thing you'll have to cover yourself is accommodation, so if your parents can't cover this you could get a loan. Save as much as you can between now and then and get a job for next summer and you mightn't have to do that even.
    Theres loads of information on the citizens information website also about grants etc.
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i was not eligble for a grant as parents were working but due to the fact both me and my sister were in college money was tight enough. therefore i got a job working on a building site on any time i had off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SeawKiller

Thanks for all the help. I have a lot less to worry about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Easier option once you finish your LC is take a year or two out to work full time, or get a few part time jobs on the go and definitely travel. It will open your mind more for uni and you'll be less stressed for the cash!
    I chose to study immediately after the LC but I was right up until accepting considering travelling & working to save up more which in some ways I regret but others don't because my course took me around the world by the time I finished! (Course was Nautical Science in NMCI if you were wondering!)
    Best of luck

Advertisement