Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Meter Protest on Curraheen Road

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭

There's a large group of people (20-30) congregated at the entrance of Curraheen Park at the end of the Curraheen Road (near to the Dog Track). A few of them are holding Placards and signs and some are sitting in deckchairs so they look like they're in for the long haul.
    Presumably this is because water meter installers are currently working on houses on the top of the hill about 500m away and will eventually make it to them. That doesn't look like it's going to be today or tomorrow though so they could be in for a long wait.
    I only saw them for a few seconds as I drove past but they were standing in the middle of the road so appeared to be blocking the road and controlling access into the estate. Should be eventful in a few days when the water meter installers try and get into that park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its pointless protesting the water meters because the Gardai will make arrests.

The only solution is non payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They can come and install a meter outside my house. I hate not being metered. Pointless having water charges if everyone isn't metered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Send em round to my gaff as well. Paying average charge. We use feck all water. I know other people who have a bill for 4 or 5 quid, and we're on 64, like schmucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its funny, my parents live on the estate (Uam Var) right next to Curraheen Estate and not a single person objected to having one installed.

The protests just feed the mob mentality. Just don't pay, getting pissed and angry does nothing. If 70% of the population refused to pay then it would be a failure and have to be scrapped. The people at these estate protests largely have nothing better to do, how else are you out at 6 in the morning forming a barrier at the entrance to your estate?

Abusing workers who are just doing their jobs, who have water bills of there own is just scumbag behaviour simple as.

Wether you get a meter or not, you are getting billed. Mass non-payment is the way to go if you want to protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

mikeym wrote: »
    Its pointless protesting the water meters because the Gardai will make arrests.

The only solution is non payment.

Surely they can only arrest you if you're causing trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

They are all out this morning at the entrances to Kenley on the Model Farm Road and at the roundabout by the entrance to CIT ready to block the meter guys. Really must have nothing better to do than stand around all day like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Surely they can only arrest you if you're causing trouble.

Or blocking access -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ludo wrote: »
    They are all out this morning at the entrances to Kenley on the Model Farm Road and at the roundabout by the entrance to CIT ready to block the meter guys. Really must have nothing better to do than stand around all day like that.

Would I be right in saying those two areas (Kenley/Leesdale and Curaheen Drive/Crescent/Close) are the only council estates in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Ludo wrote: »
    Really must have nothing better to do than stand around all day like that.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Would I be right in saying those two areas (Kenley/Leesdale and Curaheen Drive/Crescent/Close) are the only council estates in the area?

Pretty much.

Just above that estate(Curraheen Drive) on the main road and the Murphy construction lads were telling us they have been stopped entering estates that had houses worth millions. It's not just council estates but the majority seem to be.

We seen no protesting in the more affluent areas of Bishopstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Now that is interesting, is that a sign of Irish society i wonder? Funny how throughout the City and suburbs there seem to be no issues whatsoever for Irish Water workers to instal meters in private estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

kub wrote: »
    Now that is interesting, is that a sign of Irish society i wonder? Funny how throughout the City and suburbs there seem to be no issues whatsoever for Irish Water workers to instal meters in private estates.

True, Maybe those living in private estates just have no bottle. Council estate people are made of sterner stuff.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Council estate people are made of sterner stuff.:pac:

... Or have more time on their hands?

I passed them again today at lunchtime and it looked to be mostly older men ( > 65 years old)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya passed Leesdale earlier mostly middle aged people, spotted a few familiar faces. I've got one and my parents have one but we as yet haven't paid the bill.

As my mam said " I wont be paying but I wont be out on the street making a holy show of myself".

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Just a thought on the situation, if they are council houses, can the council demand they're installed, if the houses haven't been bought fully by the residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

calnand wrote: »
    Just a thought on the situation, if they are council houses, can the council demand they're installed, if the houses haven't been bought fully by the residents?

I'm sure they can...but what if the residents still say no? What then? Evict them? That'll go down well. Talk about adding fuel to a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Still there today. Numbers seem to be down slightly but I have yet to see the installers go anywhere near them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Arrests in Glanmire.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/two-residents-arrested-at-irish-water-protest-in-cork-1.2317061
    Two residents of a housing estate in Glanmire, Co Cork who engaged in an Irish Water protest were arrested on Friday morning as demonstrations of this nature continue apace in the city and county.
    A stand-off took place between campaigners and Irish Water staff. Two arrests were made at Brook Lodge housing estate as residents and anti-water charges campaigners blocked access to the entrance.

Were the protesters being rowdy or did the guards just come in to do IW a favour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Were the protesters being rowdy or did the guards just come in to do IW a favour?

Is not causing an obstruction on a public road and preventing people going about their legal business a good enough reason for the Guards to get involved?

Is not causing an obstruction on a public road and preventing people going about their legal business a good enough reason for the Guards to get involved?

No. If causing an obstruction was a valid reason there would be no protest allowed at all

The protesters are still there in Curraheen but as far as I can tell the workers are now working about a mile away up next to the B-town bar. Perhaps they're leaving that estate til later on as they know there'll be hassle there.

The meter installers are back on Curraheen road again. Approaching the protesters now from both sides. Looks like things will be coming to a head in the next few days.

Saw a new one today outside Westview on South Douglas road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Where are people getting all these posters that are going up in house windows?! Are these people attending protests where they give them out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Malari wrote: »
    Where are people getting all these posters that are going up in house windows?! Are these people attending protests where they give them out? :confused:

I reckon there is plenty of left wing movements/ organisations getting those printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kub wrote: »
    I reckon there is plenty of left wing movements/ organisations getting those printed.

All my neighbours seem to have put them up overnight last week, so I thought maybe someone was going door to door handing them out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Malari wrote: »
    All my neighbours seem to have put them up overnight last week, so I thought maybe someone was going door to door handing them out. :rolleyes:

Yeah - people were going door-to-door (in Ballyphehane, at least) giving them out last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭cudsy1

curraheen estate, would people have any fears of current state/residents in 2019? i googled lawn, drive and estate and plenty of recent (last 5 years) hits mostly of examiner articles about court cases involving residents, armed robbery, feuding families including one surname beginning with 'D'....

the couple of times ive nosed around there it seems quiet, couple of massive white vans off the road parked there alright...

id imagine it was very lively in the 80s and 90s, wondering would it be mellowed these days...

Advertisement