Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Archery be suitable for me?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello I was thinking about trying Archery, however my main problem I have is I am unable to straighten my arm due to my disability. My arm goes so far then locks and cannot go any further. Most videos I have seen always talk about how you need to shoot a bow. Another problem I have is I do not have the same strength as a average person (I'm 22) so I probably would need to use smaller bows with lower draw weights.

Do you think it would be possible for me to develop a way to shoot? Any information or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Where abouts do you live?

Honestly you should find out where your local archery club is and pay them a visit. You'd be absolutely amazed at the variety of bow types, physical characteristics and skills of people into archery.

For most people it's about flinging sticks down a range in any safe manner. You can use the lightest beginner bow all the way through to insanely powerful compound bows.

If your visit makes you think it's something to continue exploring clubs run beginners courses with all equipment supplied. So really, bar the course fee you don't have to shell out for any equipment until you know what you want.

Be careful though.. it's addictive!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No one could say for sure without meeting you in person and having you try to draw a light weight bow. However, I'm inclined towards a 'yes' answer. If a man with two stumps for arms can represent his country at the highest level I suspect that where there's a will there's a way. The locking arm might not be too much of a problem once it can be kept moderately straight consistently without hurting you. Strength isn't what you think it is. Drawing a bow properly require using back and not arm muscles once the initial part of the draw is done. No one uses those back muscles much so everyone has to build up pretty much from scratch. So that may not be the problem you think it is either. We all have started with light bows to learn technique and then build up to meet requirements so you could too. If you approach archery with the idea of it being a fun hobby you may be surprised how far you can go because it will meet those expectations easily. Later you can set other targets from a position of knowing a bit more. Best of luck.

Check out Archery Ireland 'Clubs' here: http://archery.ie/

And also check with IFAF for IFAF clubs local to you: http://ifaf.ie/wordpress/

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean931

Thanks for the reply's guys, iv emailed a local Archery club in Meath so hopefully I can go to their club and try a bit of archery. I'm pretty sure I can find a way that suits me to shoot a bow, but of course it will be trial and error for to find the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Check out this guy if you are concerned about your ability to have a go at this sport, there are so many styles there should be something there for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07x9Z6VPW4

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SmilerORocker

I have fibromyalgia and mild scoliosis with bouts of arthritis. I often suffer limited arm raising ability,.. I can only clean one window a day,... hanging washing is exhausting. But since joining archery I've found it a fantastic sport,... it gives me just enough movement that I'm not sore (I warm up thoroughly and on walking to and from the butt). I'm on 25-30lb now and I have no problems, I've even found that shooting has been known to ward away the arthritis that was kicking off in my wrist.

Join a reputable and sympathetic club and see how ya go.

All the best

Smiler

• Advertisement
Advertisement