Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the city

Options
  • 04-08-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I usually park at the BLACK BOX as its cheap but a long walk from the city Centre. Where else could I park, even by paying a bit more for a day. Somewhere near the City Centre, handy for dropping shopping back to the car!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Debenhams, Hynes, Corbett Court, cathedral.

Cathedral car park is the same as dyke road for the day and closer to town.

If you are parking everyday you can get monthly and yearly rates at the harbor and they are very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Irish Rail car park behind the Meyrick hotel in Eyre square is 6 Euro for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dilallio wrote: »
    The Irish Rail car park behind the Meyrick hotel in Eyre square is 6 Euro for the day.

Technically only for Irish Rail customer, I think. But if you walk from the car into the station, they can't tell where you went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Check out.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/parking-in-galway-city/
    It has info on public, private and on-street parking in Galway City Centre.

(It actually explains why car traffic is so bad in Galway City)
    There is 2634 private car parking spaces just in the multi story car parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Add in:
    The Greyhound Track, College Road,
    Dyke Road (beside the Black Box Theatre)
    Galway Cathedral Car Park
    Mill Street
    Bowling Green, Newtownsmith
    And then further include on-street parking, and we must be talking well over 3,500 car parking spaces just in the city. :eek:

And then think of all the spaces in the Galway Shopping Centre, the Retail Park on the Headford Road, NUIG, UCHG and it certainly does:
    explain why car traffic is so bad in Galway City

And we need more spaces as it can be very difficult to get parking in the city at times.

And we need more buses as it can be very difficult to get parking in the city at times.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

fyp

Can't help yourself, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

fyp
    Give me a half hourly bus service from Claregalway and I'll use it. Sadly that's not realistic/possible, and people seem to underestimate the volume of people coming into town daily from rural Galway who need their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Give me a half hourly bus service from Claregalway and I'll use it. Sadly that's not realistic/possible, and people seem to underestimate the volume of people coming into town daily from rural Galway who need their cars.
    A park n ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

snubbleste wrote: »
    A park n ride.

Was handy for me alright being so close to the Airport. Wonder why it never...took off.

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Once they have Parkmore stage of the Claregalway bus lane built, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible. Between BÉ, Burkes and Bus4U, there are already a lot of buses on that road.

eg

I's now 3:45pm. In the next 45 minutes there are four different buses going from Galway to Claregalway.

So I looked off peak, at 2pm tomorrow. Again between 2pm and 4pm, there are four different buses going thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to parking.
    If OP wants alternatives like buses or bikes we'll discuss it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Check out.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/parking-in-galway-city/
    It has info on public, private and on-street parking in Galway City Centre.

(It actually explains why car traffic is so bad in Galway City)

Anybody know the no's of public car parking in all the Short and Long Term City Council Car Parks (They used to have these no's available on the old website)

Long Term Car Parks
    • The Greyhound Track, College Road,
    • Dyke Road (beside the Black Box Theatre)
    • Galway Cathedral Car Park
    Short Term Car Parks
    • Mill Street
    • Bowling Green, Newtownsmith

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

As far as I know Claddagh Church does a special rate for a week long (or 5 days?) parking pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I park in hynes yard for €65/month which is great because if i was to park in the dyke rd 5 days a week it works out much more expensive per month. Very handy for working in town as well :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That car park at jurys inn is fun. I'd say it's claimed more paint from bumpers than any other in Galway.

I also like the 24 hour on merchants road where you get to drive on the wrong side of the road for the giggles.

I also like the 24 hour on merchants road where you get to drive on the wrong side of the road for the giggles.

That's Hynes Yard.

Advertisement