Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I took a pregnancy test on the 1st and it was positive (2-3 weeks pregnant).
    So obviously, I was delighted :)

This is my first pregnancy and only myself and my husband know. So I'm pretty clueless and I'm probably going to seem neurotic - but is it normal to not quite believe it?? I feel pretty much the same, no symptoms. So it's almost like I can't believe it. Like I'm so happy I can't convince myself it's happening. I worry it will just - go away.

I made a GP's appointment for this Monday the 10th and I'm worried I'll get there get to there and she'll be like - no.... Or I will lose it.

I only took 1 pregnancy test (A clue Blue one) but I have a desire to take more - to be sure. But my husband says one is enough and I will only drive myself crazy.

Did anyone else feel this way? I've been treating myself as though I were pregnant. Giving up certain foods and switching from a conception multi-vitamin to a pregnancy multi-vitamin.

I know I am neurotic!
    But thank you for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

All of what you described sounds pretty normal to me.

I have done a few pregnancy tests over the last few months, mostly when I really start to worry about being pregnant.
    I had bulk bought cheapie ones when we decided to start trying, so am using them.

Personally I think it's normal to be nervous, just try not to let it get to you too much you will start to go loco!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Totally normal to be nervous. Also totally normal not to have symptoms.

Tesco do two tests for about €6, if you really want to test again get those and give them a whirl, never led me wrong and I've had four children. If your doctor does a test and it's negative, ask for a blood test to check your HCG level, this is the amount of pregnancy hormone in your system. Some doctors tests are less sensitive than what is available in the shops so may not show up, especially if it's not your first morning urine, so early in a pregnancy. Happened to me at 8 weeks pregnant with my first child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I did like 20 of them... I was still pregnant after 20 lol. I did have the Amazon cheapies lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Yeah totally normal. I used to wake up from sleep dreaming that I was pregnant and then remembering that I actually was again and being delighted. I didn't feel any different and it didn't really sink in until I seen baby on the scan

• Registered Users Posts: 39 taylorsterling

thanks everyone. I think I am just nervous!
    No one knows and I've no friends or family with children so I'm clueless!!

I wish I could get to my doctor sooner but can't get the time off work!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I wish I could get to my doctor sooner but can't get the time off work!!!

Don't worry op. The doctor will just do another test and refer you to the hospital. But as another poster said the clear blue are more sensitive than the doctors tests.
    Depending on the hospital your attending you might be able to refer yourself by getting the forms online and sending them in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

If you are going to holles street you can just book yourself in online, you only bring your doctors letter to your 12 week appointment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the rotunda and the Coombe you can refer yourself too. Rotunda by phone and Coombe by form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's totally normal Taylor, I couldn't believe I was pregnant either, made worse that I had absolutely no symptoms for the entire pregnancy! I was a little tired from 7-11 weeks, but no sickness or sore boobs or anything like that. As a result I had no fewer than three, count 'em, 3 early scans! I was convinced that something would go wrong and to be honest, that feeling persisted until I started feeling regular kicks at 18/19 weeks. I am now the proud mama of a 14 month old girl, so please, do try and relax and not worry. There's no mad rush to the doctor, I don't think mine even did a test, she just took my word for it and filled out paperwork for the hospital. The clear blue tests are more accurate than the ones the doctors have anyway.

You should treat yourself to an early scan after 8 weeks, it's lovely seeing your tiny baby and seeing the heartbeat and it's a lovely reassurance.

Congrats by the way, it's a lovely time.

Thanks for the messages. I will definitely book an early scan. I almost wouldn't feel confident telling people until I saw baby and heard a heartbeat.

I still have absolutely no symptoms! well, boobs are kinda sore.
    I'd nearly welcome a symptom! the classic pregnancy ones! maybe it's still early days. based on last period I'm about 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant.

x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I didn't feel pregnant at all until I was six weeks gone. Then I was making pancakes one morning and all of a sudden started to break out in a cold sweat and had to sit down on the kitchen floor. I ended up vomiting into my step-son's potty. From that point on, I vomited every single day until at least twenty weeks, multiple times.

Not having symptoms is worrying, having symptoms is worrying. Being pregnant can be a tough journey but I think everything you're feeling is completely normal. :) I still can't believe I'm pregnant and my baby is due in four weeks!

I'm 6 weeks today, pretty much still feel the same! I have cramps and twinges. I feel a little bit more tired and have less appetite than normal.

I took another test this morning to really make myself believe, sure enough a positive result was there.. 3+ weeks. Seeing that pregnant sign could get to be addictive!!

I have my GP app tomorrow at 4. And from there I'll book an early scan for September. Once everything is ok, I'll tell my family.

Advertisement