Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent-a-room scheme v's becoming landlord

Options
  • 04-08-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, help please! I've had to move house, due to work, and hoping to rent my own house or rent some rooms. Trying to decide which is the best route to follow.
    Annual rent will be below 12,000 so the rent a room scheme could apply.
    How often do I need to be in my own house? I'm staying in a rental property close to work.
    How would it be found out if you weren't there?
    If I did go down landlord route, could I offset rent in New house?
    I believe I will lose mortgage interest relief if I become a landlord, if that's the case there's no way I could afford to live.
    Is there anyone else in a similar situation?
    Any advice or guidance would be welcomed!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Obviously if you don't live there, the rent a room scheme does not apply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi all, help please! I've had to move house, due to work, and hoping to rent my own house or rent some rooms. Trying to decide which is the best route to follow.
    Annual rent will be below 12,000 so the rent a room scheme could apply.
    How often do I need to be in my own house? I'm staying in a rental property close to work.
    If I did go down landlord route, could I offset rent in New house?
    I believe I will lose mortgage interest relief if I become a landlord, if that's the case there's no way I could afford to live.
    Is there anyone else in a similar situation?
    Any advice or guidance would be welcomed!!

How often do I need to be in my own house? I'm staying in a rental property close to work. Revenue would want to be convinced it was your principle private residence, i.e. that you live there most of the time
    How would it be found out if you weren't there? Revenue audit? Tenants reporting you if they had a grievance?
    If I did go down landlord route, could I offset rent in New house? No
    I believe I will lose mortgage interest relief if I become a landlord, if that's the case there's no way I could afford to live. Ask your bank about this
    Is there anyone else in a similar situation? There have been plenty of thread on this if you do a search

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We aren't a tax evasion service.

Thread closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement