Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cologne

• 04-08-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

So has anyone here even been to Cologne, Germany? Myself and a friend are going in late November and we're just wondering what there is to do? (preferably cheap suggestions as we're poor students!) Not particularly interested in the night life but more cultural things. I know theres the cathedral, would you have to pay to access it? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

How late in November? I think the Christmas markets start the last week of it, and they are great - was there last year for them.

Apart from that, the chocolate museum is pretty cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

Yeah we're going to go to the Christmas markets! ohh chocolate museum, sounds amazing! thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I've never been to Cologne but hopefully someday. A shame you're not particularly interested in nightlife, I've heard Cologne has the most pubs per capita in Germany.

The Cologne City Hall, founded in the 12th century, is the oldest city hall in Germany still in use. The city had twelve medieval gates, only three remain but they look impressive.

A cable car runs across the Rhine but apparently it's only operated April-October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Schalker

Karneval starts on November 11 11:11 am

Just in case your in the city that time.

This is part of the culture as well as the Roman-German Museum next to the cathedral :o)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's also the Lindt chocolate museum down on the bank of the river Rhine. Great to visit and perfect if you have kids in tow.:)

There's a good museum of Roman artefacts near the centre of the city. Worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thought the chocolate museum was a waste of time, to be honest. It's more like a Lindt showroom just.

The cathedral is nice, costs a few euro to climb to the top. It's an effort walking up the steps but there's nice views up there.

The Nazi museum is worth a visit too. It's in the old Gestapo HQ. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...estphalia.html

For a surreal pub experience, check out Papa Joe's. http://www.papajoes.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Cathedral, Christmas markets, observation deck of the LVR Tower in Deutz (28th floor, great view of the Rhine and city). If you have a bit of time, you could also take a train to Bonn (20-25 minutes) and see the museums there.

For something different and if you're willing to drop your inhibitions (go naked), Germany has a big spa culture. Claudius Therme Cologne is well worth an evening.

Chocolate museum is a waste of time unless you have kids and the weather is terrible. Still worth going to get a hot chocolate at the museum cafe (don't need to pay the entrance fee for this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I was in Cologne a few years ago and the museums were all closed on Mondays- Double check this before you plan. We climbed the cathedral steps but didn't make it to the top- it's a long long climb!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Just wondering about things to do in Cologne for 4 night. Obviously the cathedral and a museum. What about day trip ideas? What's you overall impression of cologne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

I haven't travelled to that region of Germany but day trips are very easy to do in Germany due to fast and cheap train travel.

Some suggestions:
    • Bonn (20 mins)
    • Düsseldorf (20 mins)
    • Aachen (50 mins)
    • Essen (50 mins)
    • Dortmund (70 mins)
    • Frankfurt (80 mins)

I suggest looking up these cities on TripAdvisor so you can see which may interest you the most.

• Advertisement

There's a few threads on Cologne already. Here's one but you can search for more. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96487303

I would definitely take a trip into Dusseldorf as well as there's loads of nice bars/breweries to visit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Heading to cologne with four pals in april.

Is cologne an expensive city or would 250 do me for two days ?

Should be fine, as long as you are not trying to pay for a hotel during one of the big trade fairs.
    Public transport ticket €2.50 (a day card is probably €8), small beer less than €2, lunch deal €10 with a drink, dinner €15-20, Cathedral is free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ricero wrote: »
    Heading to cologne with four pals in april.

Is cologne an expensive city or would 250 do me for two days ?
    @€;3 to €4 per pint, you will die of alcohol poisoning before your money runs out.

cheers lads also heading to a bayern leverkuen game should be good craic.

any good pubs to go to or clubs you could recommend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

@€;3 to €4 per pint, you will die of alcohol poisoning before your money runs out.

Stick to German Beer, and you'll never go wrong, the best beer in the world. :)

ricero wrote: »
    cheers lads also heading to a bayern leverkuen game should be good craic.

any good pubs to go to or clubs you could recommend ?

Beware Irish bars, most are crap, loud and rip off prices.

Just wondering about things to do in Cologne for 4 night. Obviously the cathedral and a museum. What about day trip ideas? What's you overall impression of cologne?

I think you will struggle after 4 hours to find something (besides boozing) to do in Cologne. The Cathedral is outstanding but I would head up to Dusseldorf etc Travel around some very interesting towns nearby but 4 hours in Cologne would only be for a Trade Fair visitor? ;)

I wouldn't go to Bonn, nothing there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Went to the Schokolade Museaum. Fairly boring tbh, wouldn't go again. Pretty walk along the Rhine to get there though. Even better in the snow (it doesn't snow in Köln very often though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

God the chocolate museum was dull.

The zoo isn't too bad, and the views from the cathedral's steeple is awesome

• Advertisement

Stick to German Beer, and you'll never go wrong, the best beer in the world. :)
    yea, but €250 worth of beer @3.50 a pint is 35 pints per day.
    That amount of booze will give you a hangover, well actually not because you'll die first.

Not long now till im heading over.

was wondering if anyone could give me advice in regards to areas in the city which would have a group of bars or clubs to do a bit of a bar crawl one night ?

any areas in particular to head to at night time or not to go near?

im staying beside the Belgium quarter

Zulpicher Strasse or the area around Rudolfplatz (Aaachener Strasse, Brusselerplatz). Lots of bars, restaurants, etc.

All within easy walking distance of the Belgian quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Two night stag party in Cologne over the May bank holiday weekend.

Has anyone any suggestions for things to do?
    Where would you recommend for eating and drinking?

Thread here.

Drinking wise, there's plenty of Kolsch brewpubs in the city centre that have more than enough room to accommodate stag parties. Best thing to do is just walk around, try a few and see which ones you like.

There's the usual karting, paintball etc available in Cologne too and you might be able to catch a Bundesliga match depending on when you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Useful thread. It seems the Cathedral is the only thing to do really in the city...

There are Bundesliga games in Leverkusen and Dortmund the weekend we are there.
    Has anyone got any information on what it is like to get tickets? Is it hard without season tickets etc.

I got leverkusen tickets easy enough by signing up to membership on their website and buying tickets from the offical ticket website. Cheap tickets only 25 euro and its a lovely stadium and easy to get to on the train. Journey is only 20 minutes

Would of rather went to dortmund but tickets are more expensive and harder to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I'm going tomorrow for four days so will report back with how the touristy stuff goes.
    Can anyone who's already been tell me how does Cologne fare in the expense stakes compared to other German cities like Munich (really expensive) and Berlin (really cheap)?

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I'm going tomorrow for four days so will report back with how the touristy stuff goes.
    Can anyone who's already been tell me how does Cologne fare in the expense stakes compared to other German cities like Munich (really expensive) and Berlin (really cheap)?
    Munich is not really expensive. Its in general cheaper than Dublin (Capital of Ireland so the yardstick for whats "normal" prices) and can be very cheap
    Touristy places around Marienplatz or Hofbrauhaus can be pricy, but isnt that in every city the same. Head to the area round the university and you wouldnt pay more than €4 for a pint at the worst of it (here one of the most historic pubs in Munich, €3.60), and less than a tenner for a schnitzel

What makes Berlin "cheap" is that it has no real defined touristy centre so you end up eating with the locals , which in Munich youve to proactivly attempt to do.

As for prices in Cologne, I didnt find it much of a noticeable difference from Munich.
    Heres a pricelist for a place I'd recommend, and schnitzel for €11 is about right, albeit dearer than what I'd pay in Munich, and at a price that you'd be lucky to get a lunch for in Dublin
    https://www.hellers.koeln/wp-content/uploads/Karten/Brauhaus-Hellers-Sommerkarte.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Well I had a wonderful time in Cologne.
    It surprised me as I was expecting a massive city but it actually felt very compact and cosy, and price wise it was much more reasonable than I expected too.

I love the "Kolsch" beer culture they have as it is perfect for pub crawling and that seems to be what all the locals drink there, and Cologne is certainly not short of pubs. Someone here recommended Papa Joes and that was certainly a memorable one! I would say the Cologne nightlife is fantastic if that is your thing, and the locals are very friendly and welcoming (as is Germany in general).

I noticed from wandering around that there seems to be loads of costume shops in the city, and that is because "Carnival" is a massive thing there. You'll see loads of people walking around in fancy dress or jazzy suits, and special bars that play carnival music, which is an experience to try out.

Yeah I loved the place and will certainly go back there again:)

saying Carneval is massive in cologne is an understatement.
    Cologne goes pure mad for about 6 days straight for the final 6 days of it up to Shrove Tuesday. I cant think of any equivalent in Ireland. Maybe the Fleadh which is 3 days, but its far calmer and way more sober than the carnival.
    btw, carnival season actually starts on the 11th of the 11th at 11.11am - so when the brits are allegedly mouring their war dead (in reality, gloating over beating the germans in 2 wars and drumming up public support for the last 20 odd years of military intervention in the middle east) they are on the streets in Cologne from early morning celebrating the start of carnival season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Cologne is a very enjoyable city. Handy for day trips to Bonn and Dusseldorf which we did. Really enjoyed my time there. Stayed near the Cathedral. One of the great buildings of the world. City was nice. Dusseldorf was very posh with exclusive shops. Bonn was postcard pretty. Beautiful palace just outside Cologne called Bruhl.

Advertisement