Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theres always one clown that brings a guitar to a party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Don't think I've been to a party where that's happened but it has happened in a pub.

Myself and a few mates having a laugh over a few pints. All of a sudden these lads walk in with instruments. We still sup away our pints only to be "shhhed" by all and sundry as we're forced to listen to a young lad from Skibereen getting tied up for stealing a spud or some shíte.

Wouldn't have minded but it wasn't advertised outside or inside the pub.

Needless to say we left soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

brevity wrote: »
    Yup, guitar guy is one of the worst at a party. Next up are the people who shush you and force you to listen to guitar guy.

And the said guitar guy does a bit of slow strumming with his eyes closed giving us the background to the song he wrote and uses the line "and it goes something like this"
    Followed immediately on the first sung note by raised eyebrows and protruding chin .
    Every time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I blame the women, flocking to these with a wet stain like a snail following them.

Ah, so what you actually mean is, you're pretty jealous of these people. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

worse than hitler, and he was a bad egg

He was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

mfceiling wrote: »
    The correct protocol there is to leave immediately.

I quickly left a house I was renting when some tosser started playing at a party we were hosting once. Went to my then gfs house. Unknown to me my house mate also scarpered. There were only two of us renting at that time.

The party must have continued without us. To be fair they didn't wreck the place, probably Jeff Buckley sobered everybody up. Somebody even cleaned up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

They are not as annoying as people who use faux-gansta words.

Are we just all using the n-word casually now? Must have missed that email.

I am how you would say, half-caste. So Ill nigga till the day I die foo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

worse than hitler, and he was a bad egg
    You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

There is and more often than not, the muppet can't play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning!

That's for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

fills me with murderous rage everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If Coolio showed I'd might make an exception though (unless someone there had a drum machine or was a beatboxer that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And there's really only one way to deal with it.

Go to 1:45......

the worst is the twat backpacking the world with a guitar in tow. twat.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was at a party years ago and there was a guitar wanker there, but I was seriously wishing he'd rattle off another song or two after oileann pipe wanker got going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I dont mind if they can actually play tbh, I play myself but I would never carry one to a party, simple because some drunk will more than likely damage it.. Also I'm not comfortable playing in front of people right now.. (I'm still learning, no point playing if you can't play well) If I was at home and someone I knew asked I would belt out a tune no bother.. But only if I was home..

Also I'm a **** singer so I doubt I would ever play at parties :D

Also never mind wonderwall, it's wagon wheel all the way :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

glasso wrote: »
    the worst is the twat backpacking the world with a guitar in tow. twat.

I was at a party once ten years ago and the backpacker dude was a Dutch oilean piper who whipped them out and gave it a lash at about 3 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Or the cnuts that start singing rattlin bog

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

if you don't like it then go home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Have been to a few of these house parties before, t'was grand. Thread needs more Black Velvet Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Guitar wanker always kills the mood at a party, just gang up with the rest of the lads and tell him to **** off with the guitar **** and put on some good music so nobody there has the need to listen to said guitar wanker ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

if you don't like it then go home

no i not never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I went to college I lived with this guy. First impressions of him wasn't great but weren't terrible. Then he produced the guitar. It happened to be September 11th and he was saying it was a conspiracy. I knew I was in for a long year.
    Then the guitar playing started. Wonderwall was his one for pulling girls. Strangely he never pulled. I used actually like the song Wonderwall but after a couple of nights of it. It was engraved in my mind. I used go home at the weekends and I always remember one of my first weekends at home all I could hear was the song Wonderwall playing in my head.
    The following week he got an amp and stared writing his own unique music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I travelled a fair bit when I was younger and it used to fill me with a murderous rage when guitar wanker used to appear. Sitting in a hostel, few beers maybe a game of pool and out of nowhere the whining would start in the corner. It's only getting worse now with whingers like ed sheeran and gavin james being worshipped like gods, when in reality they should be told to sling their hook the minute they appear.

When I went to college I lived with this guy. First impressions of him wasn't great but weren't terrible. Then he produced the guitar. It happened to be September 11th and he was saying it was a conspiracy. I knew I was in for a long year.
    Then the guitar playing started. Wonderwall was his one for pulling girls. Strangely he never pulled. I used actually like the song Wonderwall but after a couple of nights of it. It was engraved in my mind. I used go home at the weekends and I always remember one of my first weekends at home all I could hear was the song Wonderwall playing in my head.
    The following week he got an amp and stared writing his own unique music.

I presume by unique you actually mean shìte...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I was there in the early/mid 90s.

U2 "One", U2 "One", U2 "One", some mangled effort at "Stairway to Heaven", back to U2 "One"...

Are you the Conor74 formerly of DH towers? And was it you who started a thread which described Marc Janko (I think) as "6 foot 7 inches of ****e"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Serious amount of jealousy going on in here, lads.

If someone can play guitar and the majority of people at the party want them to play, what's the problem? We actually had to buy a wet floor sign for the house we were living in as the floors were sopping wet from the snail trails, when the guitar came out at a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If someone can play guitar and the majority of people at the party want them to play, what's the problem? We actually had to buy a wet floor sign for the house we were living in as the floors were sopping wet from the snail trails, when the guitar came out at a party.

Are you ....... "Guitar Wanker" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

This happened to me far too often back in my college days, great craic would be had in a pub/nightclub and then back to someone's gaff and then halfway through the first bottle/can a guitar would appear seemingly out of thin air being wielded by someone nobody really knew very well either.

Do these blokes just wander around town looking for house parties to destroy?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

"Brock wrote:
    the majority of people at the party want them to play

Do you hold a mini referendum before you disrupt all the various conversations people are having and force them all to stop, look and listen to you?

It's the most rude and obnoxious thing you can do at a party. If I wanted to go to a gig, I'd have gone to a gig and not a party.

Who says the majority of the people at the party want them to play? From the posts on here it seems that most people seem to think guitar wanker is a tosser for ruining parties with their "talent"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

brevity wrote: »
    Yup, guitar guy is one of the worst at a party. Next up are the people who shush you and force you to listen to guitar guy.

Let me tell you a story 52 verses long about a man who diddled and diedled along...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

crybaby wrote: »
    This happened to me far too often back in my college days, great craic would be had in a pub/nightclub and then back to someone's gaff and then halfway through the first bottle/can a guitar would appear seemingly out of thin air being wielded by someone nobody really knew very well either.

Do these blokes just wander around town looking for house parties to destroy?

Where can I get one of these bottle/cans that guitars appear out of ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You guys think guitar wanker is bad?

What about the drum circle nazis

They set up a circle of bongo drums and start bashing away on them and if anyone tries to join in for a bit of craic they get the evil eye for being out of rhythm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

but none of these compare even in the slightest to the number one arsehole at every house party, the self appointed DJ

There's always one guy who thinks we should all have to listen to his most obscure 'amazing songs' from the b sides of bootlegs of bands nobody has ever heard of.

He'll stand beside the music system all night guarding it in case anyone tries to change the music or put on something that he deems to be 'pop'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

Do you hold a mini referendum before you disrupt all the various conversations people are having and force them all to stop, look and listen to you?

It's the most rude and obnoxious thing you can do at a party. If I wanted to go to a gig, I'd have gone to a gig and not a party.

A pumpkin disagrees: the most obnoxious thing you can do at a party is get blind stinking drunk; make a complete ****ing arse of yourself; set off a fire extinguisher; high five random strangers; try and get the house owner's pet drunk or stoned or both; slobber over someone you really, really fancy and basically not stop bothering him/her/it all night; act like a piece of **** 'cause someone doesn't want your gross gaping, slobbering mouth anywhere near theirs; get naked; start a fight; piss yourself; throw up on the settee; half sing, half mumble the chorus to "Dirty Ould Town" ('cause that's all you ****ing Know!); dribble on and on about National pride or some **** - and make even more of a **** of yourself; piss yourself again; fall on your arse; drunk text/call/PM some poor ****er who can't stand your ass; force someone else to make sure you get to A&E okay; **** your pants; have your stomach pumped; take no responsibility for your drunken ****; sleep it off; do it all over again.

All of those sound a lot ****ing worse to be honest. Guitar guy: not so bad, unless you're a jealous ****!

I'm sure No.9 is forgetting one or two... she can't remember she was ****faced!!

"A very sexy Pumpkin!!" (Yeah... Up Yours!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Where can I get one of these bottle/cans that guitars appear out of ?

your arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

What about guitar wanker who brings his girlfriend along to the house party so they can duet and do harmonies? Good Jesus STFU. Then when she pulls a tin whistle out of her sleeve to tootle along with him you know it's time to call it a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A pumpkin disagrees: the most obnoxious thing you can do at a party is get blind stinking drunk; make a complete ****ing arse of yourself; set off a fire extinguisher; high five random strangers; try and get the house owner's pet drunk or stoned or both; slobber over someone you really, really fancy and basically not stop bothering him/her/it all night; act like a piece of **** 'cause someone doesn't want your gross gaping, slobbering mouth anywhere near theirs; get naked; start a fight; piss yourself; throw up on the settee; half sing, half mumble the chorus to "Dirty Ould Town" ('cause that's all you ****ing Know!); dribble on and on about National pride or some **** - and make even more of a **** of yourself; piss yourself again; fall on your arse; drunk text/call/PM some poor ****er who can't stand your ass; force someone else to make sure you get to A&E okay; **** your pants; have your stomach pumped; take no responsibility for your drunken ****; sleep it off; do it all over again.

All of those sound a lot ****ing worse to be honest. Guitar guy: not so bad, unless you're a jealous ****!

I'm sure No.9 is forgetting one or two... she can't remember she was ****faced!!

"A very sexy Pumpkin!!" (Yeah... Up Yours!)

Play Wagon wheel. WAGON WHEEL WAGON WHEEL WAGON WHEEL!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As always, Dr Perry Cox has the answer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I remember being at a party in my college days.
    Went into the kitchen and there was guitar-wanker himself sat at the table churning out some Radiohead (this was the 90's).

Not sure if it was the tortured expression on guitar-wanker or the look of rapt adulation of his band of acolytes gathered around the table, but I got a really bad case of the giggles.

Had to exit the room to looks of stern disapproval all around.

Who did I think I was laughing at a house-party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I am how you would say, half-caste. So Ill nigga till the day I die foo!

Who in the hell uses this phrase anymore?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

libelula wrote: »

"Niggas", apparently?

"???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Apparently half caste people find it appropriate terminology ;) :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Someone who is really pissed drunk and is trying to say they are half plastered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Guitar guy is normally rubbish as he's just looking for attention, rather than really trying to get a singalong going.

PIANO GUY, now that guy is a hero. Getting 'round the piano for an ol' knees up is the proper way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I was in a pub once and some nob end brought a guitar in and started to strum away, we thought it was an act hired by the pub, but no just some ginger tosser looking for attention - actually could have been Ed Sheeran ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 ISIS are sound

Funny thing I've found most girls hate the guitar wanker since the music has to be turned off to accommodate his bull**** and most chicks just want to get drunk and dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I got into a nasty altercation with some jerkoff playing music at a party once, he was a thirty something year old loser still trying to act a teen. All the people there thought he was this legend who hitches lifts around the country and busks and we were all supposed to be respectful and listen to his bull**** stories and music. I just thought he was a complete pervert and a saddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I'm a guitar-wanker and I'm getting great entertainment from this thread.

It's a great way of life to be honest. Loads of attention from honeys, free pints in the pub. What's not to like? I would only bring a guitar if I'm asked to by whoever is throwing the party or by the pub (in which case it's free booze and food for the evening)

I haven't ever been asked to stop playing-usually the opposite. As for jealously, I've only noticed it once. Three lads at a house party were a bit put out by the lack of attention that they were getting so one of them came over (was sent over) and asked if he could play. Cue 15 minutes of the first 10 seconds of "Stairway to Heaven" over and over again! Made me (an average player/singer) look even better!!

Enjoying the hate. Keep it coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

fvckin retards. i HATE this sh!te... the age of the guitar is long dead. stick on a bit of fetty wap or drake if you want b!tches flocking...

loser behaviour only done by little ugly minger "Tucan" type gobsh!tes who havent a note in their head and can';t everr actually SING with their songs... then what's the point? attention whores.

• Advertisement
Advertisement