Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theres always one clown that brings a guitar to a party

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

If you think that's bad , try it with physicists and biochemists. You'll be there all night

Look let's be honest here, lab rats don't party because they don't know how to party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

If you think that's bad , try it with physicists and biochemists. You'll be there all night

.. and the gluon on the quark and the quark in the neutron and the neutron in the shell and the shell in the nucleus and the nucleus in the atom and the atom in the hydroxyl group and ...

Thankfully never had to deal with that at any of the physics class parties I was at. Plenty of guitar **** though and to a lesser extent guitar-hero ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think most of the hate is from people who are pissed off that they can't use a guitar to get laid/get attention/get free food and drink.

no that's not it at all

we really do hate crappy acoustic guitars spoiling a good party.

and if anybody needs free food and drink, then I'm definitely not jealous of them.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Bye bye miss American pie, I drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry and good ole boys drinking whisky and rye, signing this'll be the day that I die.

if you like this tune, you are as bad as guitar wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I've been asked by a friend to play at the second day of their wedding.

Any suggestions for songs from the bedwetters in here?

• Advertisement

You can play any old stuff.

The only people at the day after the wedding stuff are the family and people who have to be there or friends who have no real social life and kinda think it's a legitimate night out. Those who have a choice and discernment when it comes to nights out...they won't be there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Any suggestions for songs from the bedwetters in here?

Yea, no songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sitting in the corner, spitting out tunes randomly to show off. Im sick of it , sick and tired of it. Theres only so much Jeff Buckley I can listen to.

Favourites include:

Kings of Leon
    Jeff Buckley
    James Blunt

I blame the women, flocking to these with a wet stain like a snail following them. Thats great and all, you do what you gotta do to get that tail, but I came here to have the craic, a few beers and a laugh, not for you to have impromptu performances.

How do you guys feel? Are you one of them? If so, whats your motivation?:mad:
    sssshhhhhhhhh. he's playing. sssssshhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lanos wrote: »
    no that's not it at all

we really do hate crappy acoustic guitars spoiling a good party.

and if anybody needs free food and drink, then I'm definitely not jealous of them.:pac::pac:

Ah here, the best tasting pint in the world is the free pint. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 OreaM

Reading all this I'm glad I reached the thirties and do not have to attend those hippie gatherings anymore :P
    (one could say that you just have to be selective with your friends and parties you go to but accidents happen...)

My last one was 2-3 years ago and a mix of Cranberries/Oasis (apparently the GWanker repertoire was still nascent, good for me as he did not massacre Led Zep and other good stuff).

I barely survived that one, but I'm pretty sure a modern day version with Kodaline/Ed Sheeran covers would make me jump out of the window to end my misery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I remember being at a party once and this tool was strumming away on his guitar and another guy came up with scissors or wire cutters or some yoke anyway and cut the strings. bit of a dick move but people were generally happy the strumming had stopped if not entirely agreeing with the method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Moving the guitar wanker (GW) up a level,
    the GW that does his own mash-up of 2+ songs while playing.
    Inevitably it just sounds like one badly played tune with conflicting lyrics.

On the rare occasion GW turns out to be rather good (based on ability & material covered) and gets reclassed as good guitar player (GGP), trajedy strikes. Another GW appears, usually half cut, and tries to join in. This results in GGP having to either go back to playing the few songs GW knows, thus risking becoming a GW himself, or having to stop every 30 seconds to instruct GW what chords to play which definitely sucks the life out of the room. At this stage closet GW's reveal themselves by inching closer to this inpromptu guitar lesson to 'take mental notes'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MillField

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I remember being at a party once and this tool was strumming away on his guitar and another guy came up with scissors or wire cutters or some yoke anyway and cut the strings. bit of a dick move but people were generally happy the strumming had stopped if not entirely agreeing with the method.

this ( as before) is lies. You did not do that

paulbok wrote: »
    Moving the guitar wanker (GW) up a level,
    the GW that does his own mash-up of 2+ songs while playing.
    Inevitably it just sounds like one badly played tune with conflicting lyrics.

On the rare occasion GW turns out to be rather good (based on ability & material covered) and gets reclassed as good guitar player (GGP), trajedy strikes. Another GW appears, usually half cut, and tries to join in. This results in GGP having to either go back to playing the few songs GW knows, thus risking becoming a GW himself, or having to stop every 30 seconds to instruct GW what chords to play which definitely sucks the life out of the room. At this stage closet GW's reveal themselves by inching closer to this inpromptu guitar lesson to 'take mental notes'

I like the setup. GGP being busy with GW, he stops turning all the chicks to oversized snails. Even better if GGP and GW fall in love with eachother, leave the party, steal a car and drive it off the cliffs of Moher holding eachother's hand. This world was not meant for them

I did not do what? Attend a party in university? I'm fairly sure I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

My strings cost about 35eu.. If some dude cut my strings you would be talking a death in the family not a funny party story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The only way to stop them is to absolutely humiliate the crap out of them before they start so they feel self-conscious

"Hey girls, listen up, this single guy has just pulled out his guitar and wants you all to stop having fun and kneel down beside him. Let's give him a chance, I bet he's really good and writes his own songs and won't just be boring us with some crap Jeff Buckley covers. Go ahead there, son"

Never give them a chance to start or the party's ruined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I must have been lucky, all through my college years I never managed to encounter this phenomenon.

As someone who can play guitar, I have the opposite problem - the relentless nag. You're barely in the door with half a pint drunk and they're in your face saying, "Go on and gives us an aul tune, there ah g'wan". You tell them no fncking way, you're not nearly drunk enough and everyone is standing around chatting, nobody wants a guitar to come out. And then it's five or six times and hour for the next 5 hours where they keep asking and asking and you keep politely telling them to fnck off.

Eventually when it hits 2am and people actually do want to sit down and play a few tunes, same person is the one talking loudly in the corner because they're too drunk to remember how to whisper.
    Or you eventually give in and then ask them to go get the guitar and they look at you blankly before asking, "Did you not bring your own?".

My strings cost about 35eu.. If some dude cut my strings you would be talking a death in the family not a funny party story.

I'm sure, but i think you misread before. I didnt do it, I was just there when it happened. This was 10 years ago so i dunno what strings cost then but whatever it was im sure it was more than a student could comfortably afford, so like i said, people thought it was kinda mean but still, nobody outrightly condemned him for it.

Here's a general rule for guitar players; if people really want you to start playing, they'll ask you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Not necessarily. It's all been explained earlier in the thread. Maybe the lad who cut the strings had a friend whose brother lived in the house where the party is. The brother kept wire-cutters that could be easily found in the shed which incidently was a well-lit shed so no torch was needed. Anyway the friend went to the shed and found the aforementioned wire-cutters (what a stroke of luck), brought them into the house, gave them to the first lad who then cut the strings. I've left out the bit about "under the stairs" so as not to confuse matters. A very logical and feasible explanation.

It was all explained very politely to me yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Has anyone ever come across the guy that DJ's off his phone through an AUX port in the radio, completely uninvited... I think it's Guitar guys evil brother

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Yurt! wrote: »
    If you're bringing an axe to a party, I KNOW it's to lay some 'fiddly diddly' on us. Not some limp wristed Damien Rice / Glen Hansard sentimental twaddle. I think we should encourage chicks to like 'fiddly diddly' so as to incentivise this type of guitar work at parties.

Agreed!

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across the guy that DJ's off his phone through an AUX port in the radio, completely uninvited... I think it's Guitar guys evil brother

Don't forget their evil cousin who asks for your wifi code then sends his **** on the Apple TV remotely ;(

Then there's the "check out this awesome youtube video!" guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'm sure, but i think you misread before. I didnt do it, I was just there when it happened. This was 10 years ago so i dunno what strings cost then but whatever it was im sure it was more than a student could comfortably afford, so like i said, people thought it was kinda mean but still, nobody outrightly condemned him for it.

Here's a general rule for guitar players; if people really want you to start playing, they'll ask you.

I think there's a lot of jumping on the band wagon here just for the sake of it. Even the term 'guitar wanker' people seem to be enjoying using which is fine cause that's what we do online.

But the real truth cutting through all the poking going on here is guitar players ARE asked, I'd even go so far as to say, plagued to take out their guitars at partys. That's certainly been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The only way to stop them is to absolutely humiliate the crap out of them before they start so they feel self-conscious

"Hey girls, listen up, this single guy has just pulled out his guitar and wants you all to stop having fun and kneel down beside him. Let's give him a chance, I bet he's really good and writes his own songs and won't just be boring us with some crap Jeff Buckley covers. Go ahead there, son"

Never give them a chance to start or the party's ruined!

Being honest, saying something like that would make the person seeing it eclipse Guitar Guy on level of knobbishness and ensure his/her position as King/Queen Knobhead for the night.

CFlat wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of jumping on the band wagon here just for the sake of it. Even the term 'guitar wanker' people seem to be enjoying using which is fine cause that's what we do online.

But the real truth cutting through all the poking going on here is guitar players ARE asked, I'd even go so far as to say, plagued to take out their guitars at partys. That's certainly been my experience anyway.

30 or 40 people at a party, that one girl who goes to Whelans who asks to hear some acoustic rambling, the GW takes it upon himself to inflict it on everyone else who didn't want to hear it.

Unless you've made money from playing guitar, I don't want to hear it. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, but I'd never take one to a party, because I don't want to be that guy who turns off the music to make everyone listen to my rendition of Here Comes the Sun

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Being honest, saying something like that would make the person seeing it eclipse Guitar Guy on level of knobbishness and ensure his/her position as King/Queen Knobhead for the night.

I'd rather be King Knobhead at a party with no guitar players than a nice guy stuck listening to Guitar Knobhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do it for the pussay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

biko wrote: »
    I do it for the pussay.

Nice one Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Look, the only people who ask Guitar-Wanker to play are the same people who think having a maudlin sing-song in the pub is a good idea.

These people haven't the wit or intelligence to hold an interesting conversation so want to drag everyone down by insisting we all listen to some ****ehawk murder a song.
    They should be pitied, and more importantly, ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I take it you don't play!

It never fails to pull the chicks. You don't even need to play, when the chicks come, just tell them you broke a string earlier on, a g-string, ask the chick for a loan :)

Chick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

People who bring guitars to and start singing in "talking" pubs are obnoxious as well. And their "ssssh" friends. No place in your typical pub, keep it to Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

Can't really think of anything more insufferable than a load of students sitting around after a party listening to some long-haired gimp in a cardigan murder Suzanne by Leonard Cohen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Wow. I can't believe how angry some people are getting over someone playing a few songs at a party. Oh and apparently now people who like listening to songs at parties are unintelligent and incapable of holding a conversation.

Waaaay too much anger here considering the topic. G'luck.

There's certainly a type of gathering where that is encouraged. I think the real antipathy is being direct towards those who whip it out when the craic is 90 or there are finally some decent tunes on the stereo.

Choochtown wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It's all been explained earlier in the thread. Maybe the lad who cut the strings had a friend whose brother lived in the house where the party is. The brother kept wire-cutters that could be easily found in the shed which incidently was a well-lit shed so no torch was needed. Anyway the friend went to the shed and found the aforementioned wire-cutters (what a stroke of luck), brought them into the house, gave them to the first lad who then cut the strings. I've left out the bit about "under the stairs" so as not to confuse matters. A very logical and feasible explanation.

It was all explained very politely to me yesterday.

I have no idea what youre referring to but then again I havent read the entire thread. I assume this is not meant to be directed at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh and apparently now people who like listening to songs at parties are unintelligent and incapable of holding a conversation.

Its true though. If I'm at a party why on earth would I want to stop having fun and sit quietly listening to some amateur on a guitar? What exactly is fun about that?

"Sssh, can't talk now, I'm listening to Wonderwall". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Chick....

Wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I've been playing guitar for 25 years. In the early days I used to be asked occasionally to do a tune at a party, although it was rare because I'm an anti-social c*nt with few friends. Plus, the few I do have are almost all gay and have shi*e taste in music.

I myself despise Damien Rice and the legion of mediocre bas*ards he's spawned. In my defence I will say that I have made an effort to learn songs that are popular but a bit outside the usual repertoire of angsty singer - songer ****e. Recently learned to play London Calling which I'm planning on playing at some open mic nights. I also recently learned Friday I'm In Love and the Killer's Smile Like You Mean It which I don't think I'eve heard any busker do. I play a couple of Bowie songs as well.

I have yet to get any pussy out of it mind.

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I've been playing guitar for 25 years. In the early days I used to be asked occasionally to do a tune at a party, although it was rare because I'm an anti-social c*nt with few friends. Plus, the few I do have are almost all gay and have shi*e taste in music.

I myself despise Damien Rice and the legion of mediocre bas*ards he's spawned. In my defence I will say that I have made an effort to learn songs that are popular but a bit outside the usual repertoire of angsty singer - songer ****e. Recently learned to play London Calling which I'm planning on playing at some open mic nights. I also recently learned Friday I'm In Love and the Killer's Smile Like You Mean It which I don't think I'eve heard any busker do. I play a couple of Bowie songs as well.

I have yet to get any pussy out of it mind.

Know any Foo Fighters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Sorry never heard of it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Theirs a time and place to whip out the aul 6 string. Getting drunk with a load of people who have no interest is not one of those times, but when that group is full of musicians who can play more than 7 basic chords and can actually sing, its rather a joy to watch and listen.

I never want to hear those ****ing cliché acoustic songs and may proceed to smashing your guitar if I hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Yakult wrote: »
    Theirs a time and place to whip out the aul 6 string.
    Ultimate guitar wanker's play 12 strings :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

My girlfriend told me to stop playing Wonderwall at parties....

....I said maybe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shecs gonna be the one that saves you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I think people are projecting a bit here. Usually someone who whips out a guitar at a party is an otherwise normal person, not that prick from the last Inbetweeners film.
    Used to host plenty of parties back in college and one of my housemates would always pull out his guitar to show off his mediocre skills. I think twice in two years he ever actually pulled so it must have been an ego thing. After he moved out we quickly implemented a no guitars policy and the parties got infinitly better. There's a time and place for them.
    I know guitar players here will moan about how everyone is super jealous of their mad skillz...but the truth is that pulling out the aul six-string will instantly kill the mood of a party unless it's winding down anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mfceiling wrote: »
    I presume by unique you actually mean shìte...

Yes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement