Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My local Tesco letting chuggers in

Options
  • 04-08-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭

I see this has now started at my local tesco express, and I honestly am thinking of giving up going. Amnesty chuggers were there today and did the whole "How are you man" ****e with me, since when did this start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I see this has now started at my local tesco express, and I honestly am thinking of giving up going. Amnesty chuggers were there today and did the whole "How are you man" ****e with me, since when did this start?

Today.
    You said so in your post:
    Amnesty chuggers were there today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭One More Toy

F1ngers wrote: »
    Today.
    You said so in your post:

Har Har Har

Just wondering is this a widespread thing? Really really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you find it annoying, make a complaint to the Tesco store manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If I was in a shop or supermarket pub etc and got some person rattling a bucket under my nose i would tell them loud enough for staff to hear to "get that f**kin bucket out of my face and get out of my way!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

On and off for years, normally "local" ones, Girls Hockey Club, Swim/GAA/Soccer etc.

Never seen a "political" one, don't mind collecting for "good causes" but politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you mean the guys that want you to sign
    direct debits? Are then inside the store or outside.

I don't think there is much they can do if they are on the street. Locally I see they are outside closed ships that are beside busy shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting to know if OP is talking about genuine chuggers looking for reoccurring payment details, or if its people at the end of the till with a bucket. If the latter, lighten up I'd say.

Charities and local fundraisers have been using their local supermarkets for decades, and its not an inconvenience to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Do you mean the guys that want you to sign
    direct debits? Are then inside the store or outside.

I don't think there is much they can do if they are on the street. Locally I see they are outside closed ships that are beside busy shops.

Dogs Trust direct debit chuggers were inside the hall of Dunnes Stores Roscommon on Saturday. They didn't want a donation, just a dd of from 50 cents per day would do, thanks very nicely.

I put the €5 back in my pocket and wondered how many more people were prepared to put a few quid into a bucket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Tesco in Newbridge had barnardos people inside the store last week. Just behind the checkout nearest the door. They were stopping everyone and asking them to sign up to a dd of €22 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Dogs Trust direct debit chuggers were inside the hall of Dunnes Stores Roscommon on Saturday. They didn't want a donation, just a dd of from 50 cents per day would do, thanks very nicely.

I put the €5 back in my pocket and wondered how many more people were prepared to put a few quid into a bucket?

These people usually work for an external firm, and get commission. The firm often gets close to the entire first years "donation" as their commission. This is why they don't want and can't take cash donations.

Horrible system, would never sign up that way even if I wanted to do a regular donation for a charity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've taken part in bag packing in a local supermarket.
    No one enjoys it, but its for a good cause.
    Any and all money went straight to the cause and no premiums or costs were paid to anyone.
    There was no pressure, you didn't want to engage you just say "no thanks" if asked if you wanted your bag packed.

When I'm shopping I see people engaging in the same and there are days when I go "feck" and more days when I take the help and throw a euro into the bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any and all money went straight to the cause and no premiums or costs were paid to anyone.
    There was no pressure, you didn't want to engage you just say "no thanks" if asked if you wanted your bag packed.

When I'm shopping I see people engaging in the same and there are days when I go "feck" and more days when I take the help and throw a euro into the bucket.

Hardly Chuggers though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

That's totally different. As you say the full amount of money goes to the cause and I've only ever seen bag packs organised by local charities. These professional chuggers that claim to be doing it for charity when only a small fraction of the money actually goes to help people are a disgrace and that form of harassment should be banned. I've seen them following people around really giving them grief. I'm quick enough to tell them firmly to piss off, but clearly their method works on enough gullible/vulnerable people to be able to pay these people to do this. Shameless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,582 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even if I refuse help I always throw a donation into the bucket. I do hate people messing around with my groceries though, I would much rather pack them myself. I have found that if I say 'I'm ok thank you' you can bet there is some busybody in the queue making tutting noises if you refuse help. What really is irritating though is when you choose a checkout with no packers and one comes wandering over from another checkout to 'help'. Yes I know, I have little to be irritated about.

looksee wrote: »
    Even if I refuse help I always throw a donation into the bucket. I do hate people messing around with my groceries though, I would much rather pack them myself. I have found that if I say 'I'm ok thank you' you can bet there is some busybody in the queue making tutting noises if you refuse help. What really is irritating though is when you choose a checkout with no packers and one comes wandering over from another checkout to 'help'. Yes I know, I have little to be irritated about.

I'm the same. There's a right way and a wrong way to pack groceries and everyone else does it the wrong way. I'll still throw a quid in the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

How to deal with chuggers: tell them you're prohibited from holding a bank account owing to some previous financial irregularities. But really, the money had been just resting in your account...!

That should get them off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Chugging and bag packing are different things. If the bag packers are willing to help me out, I'll normally throw in a donation, because no supermarket packs your bags any more like they should do.

As for chuggers - I've been known to politely ask them to get out of my way if they get in it. There's no excuse for harassing people and it should be completely illegal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

People like baggers who offer an optional service, grand in that is helpful.

Those seeking bank details for their version of the good cause, within the precincts of a shopping area where one is harried enough by commersialism, not so grand.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    People like baggers who offer an optional service, grand in that is helpful.

Those seeking bank details for their version of the good cause, within the precincts of a shopping area where one is harried enough by commersialism, not so grand.

Even people with buckets outside shops collecting for local charities without helping with anything is fine with me. Church gate collections and the likes. As someone who's involved with fundraising and who's given up a lot of my free time selling lotto tickets in bars for a local club I think these are valuable community services and people should support where they can.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    How to deal with chuggers: tell them you're prohibited from holding a bank account owing to some previous financial irregularities. But really, the money had been just resting in your account...!

That should get them off your back.

Handier to just say No. Works for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

There was a time last year and earlier this where you couldn't walk into my local Tesco without the Barnardos chuggers there hounding you. Drive me crazy

Handier to just say No. Works for me every time.

Doesn't work for everyone though. Sometimes they really harass people if they smell vulnerability in them.

Jayop wrote: »
    Doesn't work for everyone though. Sometimes they really harass people if they smell vulnerability in them.

I just keep walking and avoid eye contact. What vulnerability do they smell?

I just keep walking and avoid eye contact. What vulnerability do they smell?

I remember seeing somewhere a program about people who have almost been bankrupted by these charities they end up with so many DDs set up as they can't say no. They then feel too guilty about the poor children or the poor dogs or the poor tape worms to cancel the DDs.

Surely it's ONLY the vulnerable who will choose to set up a DD with someone they just met on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when people say IN Tesco, they most likely mean near Tesco, but beyond the tills.
    so it's likely with the approval of the centre management, and Tesco themselves may have nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

They have been in Tesco Rathmines the last two times Ive been in. Some animal crowd and amnesty.

Both times was late morning when most of the customers are elderly. Unless this is a new tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭One More Toy

dubscottie wrote: »
    They have been in Tesco Rathmines the last two times Ive been in. Some animal crowd and amnesty.

Both times was late morning when most of the customers are elderly. Unless this is a new tactic.

Same tesco I was talking about

I dont mind bag packers, as that is a handy service! But chugger Bástards looking for bank details? I tell them where to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Regarding the bag packing, VDP or Simon is a local charity. Ballygogrubby Junior Basketball club want to build a new clubhouse/take the kids to a tournament in Liverpool is NOT a charity. If you let your kids join a club pay your own way and don't be begging and pestering your neighbours at the till in the supermarket

Advertisement