Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My local Tesco letting chuggers in

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Regarding the bag packing, VDP or Simon is a local charity. Ballygogrubby Junior Basketball club want to build a new clubhouse/take the kids to a tournament in Liverpool is NOT a charity. If you let your kids join a club pay your own way and don't be begging and pestering your neighbours at the till in the supermarket

I don't mind this some of the time but seems in some places it's all the time. Chugging however no way I would entertain them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Regarding the bag packing, VDP or Simon is a local charity. Ballygogrubby Junior Basketball club want to build a new clubhouse/take the kids to a tournament in Liverpool is NOT a charity. If you let your kids join a club pay your own way and don't be begging and pestering your neighbours at the till in the supermarket

If you own a home in an area and there's facilities being built that will increase your house price then yeah you should be chipping in. God love you if you can't spare a quid when people are giving up hours upon hours every week volunteering doing coaching etc, and then they have to stand like spare pricks packing your bags for you.

Jayop wrote: »
    If you own a home in an area and there's facilities being built that will increase your house price then yeah you should be chipping in. God love you if you can't spare a quid when people are giving up hours upon hours every week volunteering doing coaching etc, and then they have to stand like spare pricks packing your bags for you.

Id rather they not touch my stuff if I don't want them to, shopping in a retailers is not some sort of philanthropic excersize it's a business arrangement between a shopper and retailer, it should never be assumed that people are there to be bled dry.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Id rather they not touch my stuff if I don't want them to, shopping in a retailers is not some sort of philanthropic excersize it's a business arrangement between a shopper and retailer, it should never be assumed that people are there to be bled dry.

I prefer to pack my own bags too but a euro is hardly going to bleed you dry and if you're too miserable to help out clubs that are run by volunteers then simply don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I really resent that sports clubs seem to think it is OK to beg for money at tills but my hobby, music, has to be paid out of my own resources and I have to pay VAT on all my purchases, books instruments etc....

As mentioned above I would view St VDP etc as charities but anything else, political pressure groups, sporting groups etc can go swing.

Also DD seekers get a big fat NO.

I am not vulnerable and I am proud to refuse people either at a check out or entrance regardless of they being neighbours or strangers etc.

A period of time on the dole quickly leaches the pride out of one.

• Advertisement

doolox wrote: »
    I really resent that sports clubs seem to think it is OK to beg for money at tills but my hobby, music, has to be paid out of my own resources and I have to pay VAT on all my purchases, books instruments etc....

As mentioned above I would view St VDP etc as charities but anything else, political pressure groups, sporting groups etc can go swing.

Also DD seekers get a big fat NO.

I am not vulnerable and I am proud to refuse people either at a check out or entrance regardless of they being neighbours or strangers etc.

A period of time on the dole quickly leaches the pride out of one.

erm...Buskers?

Also, I've seen music community groups raising cash for instruments for kids etc so not sure your post has any basis in reality.

I prefer to pack my own bags too but a euro is hardly going to bleed you dry and if you're too miserable to help out clubs that are run by volunteers then simply don't bother.

Nothing to do with being miserable , if it was something done every once in a while maybe but some places it's every week.

Also what does being a volunteer have to do with it let the parents pay for it if they want it for their kids.

Nothing to do with being miserable , if it was something done every once in a while maybe but some places it's every week.

Also what does being a volunteer have to do with it let the parents pay for it if they want it for their kids.

So bleed the parents dry? My kids are in the gaa and soccer club, we pay their annual membership, we support every thing they do, we pay weekly costs to pay for training, we buy equipment but the clubs are expensive to run.

Like I said, if you can't see your way to throwing a quid in a bucket to help people who work really hard to provide services for kids then you could be the problem. I'd rather not have your money if you'd begrudge it that much.

So bleed the parents dry? My kids are in the gaa and soccer club, we pay their annual membership, we support every thing they do, we pay weekly costs to pay for training, we buy equipment but the clubs are expensive to run.

Like I said, if you can't see your way to throwing a quid in a bucket to help people who work really hard to provide services for kids then you could be the problem. I'd rather not have your money if you'd begrudge it that much.

Exactly that's the spirit, parents should bear the brunt of allot of the cost as it's the extra curricular activity they want their kids to take part in. If the groups coming into shopping centres were moderated and it wasn't all the time I'd have more patiences but it seems to be a regular occurrence these days most weekends.

It's nearly as bad as the lads coming in selling for the weekly lotto when your trying to have a pint.

Don't buy it so. Have you ever volunteered for anything in your life or are you one of the ones that does nothing but complains about everything else?

• Advertisement

I have of course but it was for charitable organisations, haven't been involved with the gaa at all.

The difference being it was a charity compared to a club which is the point others have made.

I have of course but it was for charitable organisations, haven't been involved with the gaa at all.

The difference being it was a charity compared to a club which is the point others have made.

What is the difference.?

I think it's really just you that's pointed that out, maybe one other but not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

The only charity I will give money to is the RNLI. Give them bags of leftover ££ coins (2p 10p etc) that I would not get rid of otherwise.

I worked it out that a chugger needs to sign up 23? (while since I did the sums) people a day to cover the cost of the wages.

I wont give to GAA clubs as I have been told they are corrupt. Little johnny's parents did not raise enough money so he is on the bench...

The difference between a well funded sports organisation and a charitable organisation who supports people in need?

Nah I didn't make the point first .

The difference between a well funded sports organisation and a charitable organisation who supports people in need?

Nah I didn't make the point first .

Well funded?

You really have not a single clue. I'm heavily involved in a country soccer club that has about 150 juvenile players and we've never received a penny from the government, leader, the fai, the lotto, cross border, county council, fas or anyone else.

The only money we get is donations and memberships.

Well funded doesn't happen unless you have a fg minister in your parish.

Well funded?

You really have not a single clue. I'm heavily involved in a country soccer club that has about 150 juvenile players and we've never received a penny from the government, leader, the fai, the lotto, cross border, county council, fas or anyone else.

The only money we get is donations and memberships.

Well funded doesn't happen unless you have a fg minister in your parish.

I was referring to the GAA/FAI themselves, I don't see why more funds can't be diverted downward.

Regardless the shopping public don't owe either organisations grass roots anything.

The fai has very little to do with grass roots football. They give nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I don't live in Ballygogrubby but my urban Tesco is the nearest for them. Their new clubhouse is of no benefit to anybody but their members. Their weekend in Liverpool is certainly only of benefit to them. It's begging or even demanding money with menaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

when people say IN Tesco, they most likely mean near Tesco, but beyond the tills. so it's likely with the approval of the centre management, and Tesco themselves may have nothing to do with it.

My tesco is just a tesco. Not a shopping centre or anything. There is a foyer area and then the main shop. They do be in the foyer. Nearly every Damn week. To the point where I know for a fact that a bucket collection group got told they couldn't have their annual fundraising collection cos there were too many groups in the foyer. No. Just Barnardos. And tesco th st was because YOU let them every Damn week.

I don't live in Ballygogrubby but my urban Tesco is the nearest for them. Their new clubhouse is of no benefit to anybody but their members. Their weekend in Liverpool is certainly only of benefit to them. It's begging or even demanding money with menaces.

It's not begging, you need a new dictionary.

Also what menaces? If they're in any way menacing towards people who don't donate then it's a disgrace, but I suspect they just politely offer to pack shopping and if you refuse they say ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Also what menaces? If they're in any way menacing towards people who don't donate then it's a disgrace, but I suspect they just politely offer to pack shopping and if you refuse they say ok.

You must be a chugger as your very defensive of them and other BEGGER types.

Asking for money for the purpose of charity is begging, it's in the dictionary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    You must be a chugger as your very defensive of them and other BEGGER types.

Asking for money for the purpose of charity is begging, it's in the dictionary :)

Fair enough but it was referred to as "with menace". What menace is there with bag packers?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would view what he described as begging, what dictionary do you use yourself?

This is what google throws up.
    beg
    bɛɡ/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: begging
    ask someone earnestly or humbly for something.
    "he begged his fellow passengers for help"
    synonyms: beseech, entreat, implore, adjure, plead with, appeal to, pray to; More
    ask for food or money as charity.
    "a young woman was begging in the street"
    synonyms: ask for money, solicit money, seek charity, seek alms; More

I consider street chugging/chunting as a form of begging too, taking advantage of what I consider a loophole in the law. Especially when you have the likes of rehab where they got €468 from €3,400,000 in scratch card sales, 0.015% of sales, imagine a roma begger telling a garda they promise to give that amount to charity, they'd be laughed at.

Also what menaces?
    Its a strong word, but some will begin packing immediately without asking, so people feel obliged to pay something for the service, similar to the windscreen wiper beggars at traffic lights who might run up and do it without asking.

Roma are often berated for sending kids out begging on the streets, using them as people might have more sympathy, but little is said of often wealthy enough parents effectively doing the same with their kids, albeit inside a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Probably the least deserving crowd I ever came across collecting money by way of packers at the checkouts was in Dunnes Cornelscourt several years ago, the name as posted on their buckets was along the lines of: 'Mrs. Flanagan's school of Irish Dancing trip to Boston'. Brass necks or what? I did not donate.

Neither do I donate to sports clubs from outside my own area when they invade the local supermarket - feck off and squash someone else's tomatoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

At it again today in Tesco Newbridge. Nice little set up they have. Good looking girl stops the men. Good looking fella stops the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wouldnt give a red cent to a Pro Abortion Charity.

Down with Chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I walk straight out of any supermarket the second I see those <SNIP>s hovering about the tills trying to make me feel guilty and embarrass me by refusing their "help". Why would I need help packing my bags?? Get out of the way you stupid annoying <SNIP>. I HATE THEM and no "we need the money" appeal is going to convince me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Why are Tesco allowing groups like Amnesty to operate within their stores? What do they get out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Shaking a bucket under somebodies nose in order to extract monies is begging, pure and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Shaking a bucket under somebodies nose in order to extract monies is begging, pure and simple

I have made a decision just after reading this. Next time somebody waves a bucket at me I will try and put my hand in and take money out. I thought they were offering it to me, why else would it be shaken in my face in an aggressive manner? Or next time they give it a shake to attract my attention I might just step over and boot it right out of their hands hopefully scattering the contents all over the place.

I really do hate them with a passion.

Advertisement